“As good as it gets”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oakes Street
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed overnight for business nearby, and plans with customer for dinner were cancelled. When by myself, I yypically try to find something highly-rated close by where I can have a few small plates and drinks at the bar, and this seemed like the place, and it definitely was! The crab and avocado was as good as it gets in the big city, and mango and grapefruit slices made it quite interesting. The pancetta with grilled vegetables and light sauce was excellent, and the baby kale caesar was wonderful also. Hopefully I will get the project nearby and can return many times to this restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff, also.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've been here twice now for business and I wouldn't hesitate in going back to this local restaurant. Menu has a nice selection of meat and pasta options. We had ordered the portobello and hummus appetizers and both were very tasty. I ordered the salmon and it too was very good. This restaurant has a nice size room in the back for larger parties and they seemed to be able to keep up a high level of service. Everybody enjoyed their meals. This place is a nice alternative to driving into San Francisco and have to pay for the higher prices and to find parking either on the street or in a parking garage.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great, consistent restaurant that has more than survived the bad economic years, it has actually thrived. The menu is solid, with enough seasonal variation to keep it interesting and enough regular items to bring you back for an old favorite. It has become a desitination restaurant for people in the East Bay, although it started as a fairly simple neighborhood favorite. The wine list is also very strong and the pricing for the meals and alcohol fairly reasonable. I look forward to trying out the latest expansion of the wine bar!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I made a last second dinner date with the wife and had no problem with the reservation and was seated into a very quiet area. The server was great and the food even better. The price was reasonable and can't wait to go back. They make hand made pizza's but I went with a pasta. I will be back.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

So I've been going to 'Diso for over fourteen years, ever since I moved to San Leandro, and the experience, bar one, has been consistently excellent. As a former chef I am more critical of food than most; at Paradiso everything is made from top quality meats, fish, and produce, usually simply but well-prepared, and served by a friendly staff - most of whom have been there for quite a few years.

On a recent visit I took a young model I'd just shot, and we were both hungry. She was a little taken aback by the pricing, but managed to get outside of an appetizer platter and most of a bowl of pasta (models are ALWAYS hungry) while I had my usual steak as I'm on a limited diet. Even though it was a busy Friday night everything arrived in a timely manner and was excellent.

In San Leandro timing is everything; the place is packed from about six to seven-thirty, after which it's easy to just walk in, but if you want to eat during the rush, make a reservation, which is also advised for lunch.

The only not-so-great meal I ever had there was a tasteless 'lamb loin,' but once in fourteen years can be definitely forgiven. The menu seldom changes, and some selections are obviously local favorites (surf and turf - seriously?), and the original 'mediterranean cuisine' emphasis has faded to a few menu items. It's not San Francisco or Rockridge...but it IS Paradiso.

Overall - great food, great people, good bar and wine selection, best restaurant in San Leandro. Sit at the counter for a good interactive restaurant experience!