“Noisey”

Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in San Leandro
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stopped here for 3 weeks on business (Mon - Fri each time). The first week I stayed on the 3rd floor, the second 2 on the first floor.

First the good -
Excellent breakfast (If you had a coupon - wouldn't pay $11 for breakfast)
Excellent staff - Everyone always had a smile on their face!

Now the not so good...
Overall getting a good nights sleep in this hotel is a mission. I'm a light sleeper and if it isn't the freeway noise that keeps you awake it's the loud aircon / extra loud ice machine.

The room for the first week had a toilet that wasn't fixed to the floor properly.

The aircon was a nightmare. It was, as mentioned before, as loud an aircon as I've ever heard in 500+ nights in hotels. It also seemed impossible to set the fan to come on when the room hit a certain temperature. The fan was either on (loud) or off (hot). Also, there was no backlight on the control unit on the wall. So, if you want to make any changes in the middle of the night you have to turn the light on!

The second and third week I was in 103. There was a room between me and the ice machine but as soon as you pass the elevators you heard the beast! It sounded like an aircraft was about to take off!

The TV had a good selection of channels. Just a couple of little niggles. Firstly, the channels on the guide channel did not match the number of the channel on the TV. Annoying! Secondly, what's with the "BING BONG" when turning the TV off! Most people turn the TV off when they're about to drop off. That noise is enough to wake you back up!

Lastly there were the room service plates. On more than 1 occasion when I returned to my room at about 7pm there were empty room service plates outside of doors. When I left my room at 6.15am the next morning they were always still there. I know this happens in many hotels, but couldn't the kitchen staff do a sweep of the hotel when they closed up to get rid of these plates?

It's been 3 days since I left this hotel. I've stopped at 3 different hotels in and around the San Fran area. All are considerably better than this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here on business and truly enjoyed my stay. Food at the hotel restaurant was fantastic and fast. The menu was reasonably priced for the portions and quality of food. The room was clean, comfortable and just right for my stay. Although there is not much in the area a 20 minute bart ride will bring you to some of the finest parts of San Francisco. The motel will provide a complimentary ride to the bart station just a few minutes away saving you on parking and driving. Also with the convience of the freeways you can travel around the area easily and experience the area to its fullest. The pavillion pantry has a wonderful variety at fair prices, even ice cream. Most importantly as a female traveling alone I felt very safe on the property. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is all you expect. I would highly recommend this location!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am never disappointed by Hilton. This HGI is what you would expect, clean, friendly, fresh breakfast and so on. For work it was great for me because the freeway is right in front of the hotel so i only needed 5 minutes to get to my meeting. There was a 24hour fitness a mile down the road, great sushi place close by, which was recommended by the hotel staff & a Safeway grocery store in case you needed anything. Paul & Caroline did a great job serving breakfast. I didn't give it a perfect score because my closest door was really hard to close and the freeway is a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the freeway / front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paulette8907654532
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Having missed our flight home from SFO due to a late connection from New York, the airline gave us a voucher for hotel that was fully booked! After finding all SFO airport hotels and even downtown was fully booked, I turned to Hilton reservations and they came up with this hotel.

A $100 cab ride and the night manager could not have been more helpful when we arrived at 1-45am. We were soon settled in for a night's sleep.

A great breakfast with friendly had us refueled to start a long day.

This hotel is very close to a Walmart and other shopping. I was also able to treat my wife to her first In-n-Out Burger which was minutes from the hotel.

The hotel shuttle dropped us off at the closest BART station and $9.40 we were back to SFO.

I would certainly stay here again if I was ever in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pasgro
Reviewed July 9, 2012

So glad that I got this place for a very reasonable price. Better than my previous night's stay.
Great location because it's by the freeway. Friendly staff. As always, Hilton has their standards and it's always consistent no matter where I have been. I really enjoyed my stay and the price made it even better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kaaren M
Momi17, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Kaaren M.,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We know that many people read reviews and take a cue from guests like you.
We really do take pride in living up to the standards of Hilton Garden Inns such as having a friendly staff, comfortable adjustable beds, complimentary wireless access, a restaurant on property that serves breakfast and dinner and much more.
I hope that you will be visiting us again soon. Please let me know if ever I may be of assistance to you.

Guest Service Manager
Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel was not as clean as most I have stayed but it was not nasty dirty, just noticed that the carpet area was not bright and clean looking. The room was a typical room with microwave and frige. It is located right near the freeway but I did not hear any noise. The staff was very nice and attentive they spoke as we came in and said goodnight as we went to our rooms. The only complaint I have is the beds although you can adjust the firmness of the bed it was still sort of uncomfortable. I like that it had a small bar area although I did not get a chance to use it. I also like that it is located near Wal-mart and other grocery stores. I would stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Dovealove,

As the Guest Service Manager of this hotel, I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from loyal guests like you. I apologize for the condition of our carpets. We are 12 years old now and our housekeeping staff tries their best to clean the carpets. We are looking forward to when renovations start and we can have the carpets changed.
I appreciate the acknowledgment of the ammenities of our hotel and the friendliness of our staff. I have said it before and will keep saying how proud I am of the staff I work with.
I hope you will visit us again soon. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've always had great experiences with Hilton Garden Inn properties and this one is no different. The staff was very friendly and accomodating, the rooms were nice, beds comfortable, and the restaurant served a nice breakfast. We only stayed one night but would definitely stay again if our travels bring us to this area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KellensMom
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Kellensmom,

I am Momi De Deaux, guest Service Manager at the Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro. thank you for your positive feedback! I am glad that you enjoyed your visit us. It is our pleasure to offer you great Hilton Garden Inn service.
Thank you acknowledging the freindliness of the staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. Housekeeping works hard at keeping our hotel clean.
Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and for reviewing our hotel. I hope you will visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Leandro
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Holiday Inn Express Castro Valley - East Bay
La Quinta Inn & Suites Hayward Oakland Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro? Share your experiences!