“Paper Thin Walls... Literally”

Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in San Leandro
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have a very brief review of the property that I believe really sums it up.

Good: The hotel is close to freeway access and has a shuttle service to/from Oakland Airport. It is convenient for a quick stay and the gentleman who drives the shuttle is a really nice guy.

Bad: The walls are paper thin. Like super thin. So thin in fact that my two year old daughter was woken up twice in the middle of night because the people in the next room were having "relations" and the noise from them and the banging headboard was incredible. I realize this isn't the fault of the staff at the hotel, but it's still really unpleasant.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Employees at the front desk, very nice and helpful. Our room very nice, clean and bed was comfortable. The hotel is not far from Oakland Airport. We needed to leave the hotel at 6:00am to get to our airline to check in. The continental breakfast was not available til 7:00am...would of been nice to have been able to have something before we left. This is our second time staying and we will use them again when flying out of Oakland Airport.

Room Tip: I always ask for top floors to help avoid noise above me. It helps. Booked and paid for online, sav...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clalves
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Nice staff at check in and beautiful front entry way, they promised a quiet room, no such luck, 4 guys next to us, we were in 229, they, next door, went to sleep at 1 after they quieted down and we were woken up at 7 when they got up. Indoor pool and spa, nice, great omelet breakfast, $11.00 each, great service at the cafe.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

This hotel is not in the newest hotel anymore. But the staff really try and make up for it and honor the Hilton name. Rooms are large and clean, bathroom dated, plus or minus, really close to the 880 freeway.

Fitness center pretty much tiny, but they do offer an in room option. No breakfast room service and the food is not bad. Not out of this world either. Oh ya, free internet, a nice touch.

That being said, I give this place a passing grade.. c plus

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I picked this hotel as their Park/Sleep/Fly rates are much better than the Oakland Airport Hilton, especially if you're out more than 7 days, in which case the Oakland Hilton can get very pricey indeed. But I guess I was a bit shocked by the location. The northern part of San Leandro is, indeed, near the airport, but this hotel is actually in the southernmost corner of San Leandro. It would be more appropriate to call this hotel San Lorenzo/San Leandro, because the border with San Lorenzo abuts the property. It is, in fact, four exits from the Oakland border, and several miles from the airport exit.
I advised the front desk when I checked in that I would like to take the 7:30 shuttle for my 9:15 AM flight. She looked at a notebook and said "Yes, it's available." I didn't realize that not having transportation to the airport was an option. If the shuttle hadn't been available, who would be responsible for paying for the 10+ mile cab ride? It also took the shuttle over 15 minutes to reach the airport on a Saturday morning. How long would it have taken during the week, going with commute-hour traffic towards the airport, downtown Oakland, and San Francisco?
Finally, the area is quite dicey and the parking lot not attended. I felt uneasy during my trip, wondering about my car a few times (but it was fine when I got back). On returning, they kindly let you call and send the van before you get your luggage. Nevertheless, I did have a fairly long wait (OAK has been much better and getting the luggage into the carousel promptly). The driver was too old to get my luggage into the van, and I had to put it in myself. Not at all a problem for me, but if the customer had been older or disabled in some way, I can see that it might present a problem.
The rooms and facilities themselves are clean, comfortable, and well-maintained, which is why I give this place 4 dots (though I would probably have preferred 3.5 dots). I did have to wear earplugs, though, due to freeway noise. As with all HGI's, they have great breakfasts, included for gold HHonors members. So there's really nothing wrong with the hotel, but I think I might be a bit uncomfortable using this again as a park-sleep-fly, although the savings over the Hilton is huge. Perhaps the Alameda Hampton Inn?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I love Hilton Garden Inns for the quality of their beds. They are adjustable in firmness, spend some real money on pillows and sheets are are usually pretty quiet. My room was facing a major street and there was a lot of road noise.

Very clean and well maintained room/public areas.

The front desk clerk was quick to mention that they offer shuttle service to anywhere within five miles. This is a nice feature because as you would expect the neighborhood is borderline skeevy. I walked about 1/4 of a mile to a Black Angus during dusk past a couple of vacant lots bordered by razor wire and graffiti decorated concrete. Came home in dark walking very fast...

Exercise room was small but had equipment that was clean and in good working order

Friendly front desk with warm tasty cookies.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed on the fourth floor in the back and had a perfect experience. Staff was very friendly and accomodating... they even picked me up from my meeting, dropped me off at a nearby restaurant, picked me up after dinner, and took me to the airport in the morning. Could not ask for anything more. Free internet in the room, very clean rooms, and excellent staff. Only negative was that the hotel is a lil hard to find...it's tucked away in a corner.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Hilton Oakland Airport
#10 of 49 in Oakland
Holiday Inn Express Castro Valley - East Bay
Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Oakland/San Leandro? Share your experiences!