“Lovely setting!”

The Marina Inn on San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in San Leandro
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the location. As former residents of San Leandro, we wanted to stay at the Marina Inn to enjoy being on the water. We were in a second floor "junior suite." Unfortunately our view of the bay was somewhat obstructed by rows and rows of covered boat docks. But we were able to breathe the lovely air with the patio door open.

The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was very small and tight for such a large room. It was nice to have a mini fridge and microwave in the room. The continental breakfast was good.

Overall the price was a bit high compared to other places in the area. We paid $139 per night. But we wanted the experience of staying in our old home town, and the Marina Inn was the best choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Marina Inn on San Francisco Bay

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Very nice very clean hotel. It has been around a while but is all freshly updated inside. You couldn't walk through this hotel without running into a smiling staff member, from the housekeepers, maintanance guy to the front desk. It is right on San Francisco Bay marina.
There's also a great restaurant right across the parking lot called Horatios.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Since I have relations in San Leandro proper and also in Sacramento, I looked around for a hotel convenient for them to meet me. I looked at hotel recommende by Trip Advisor and tought this place was it. I asked my relation to check it out and decided this was it.

Staff is friendly and helpful. San Leandro Marina Inn is so close to Oakland airport and to downtown San Leandro. The Oakland ferry is around 3 miles from the hotel and you can catch the ferry to downtown Sanfo, which is scenic and a better choice to driving and going nuts looking for parking downtown.

Horatio's restaurant next door is top class. A golf course and the park are walking distance, the hotel provides bicycles to use free-of charge, etc. Shuttle service to and from Oakland airport is provide and also to shops nearby.

I will recommend this hotel to our family travel business, Forexworld Pty Ltd since we cater to many that visit relations in the San Francisco area.

Great for families or for business visitor as well. Good breakfast too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This hotel is one of the cleanest, nicest places you can imagine, We stayed here numerous times for recreational purposes and we were never disappointed; Matthew at the front desk is very nice, friendly and courteous every time of the day, no matter which problem he might encounter. If you want to relax and have a nice home, away from home, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexkruse
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had our family reunion there at the marina & the out of towners all stayed at the inn it was absolutely WONDERFUL...except the fact that I left my cell phone charger in my RM an wen I called back to retrieve it no one had seen or heard of it that was my only disappointment...

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Return visit to this facility just as satisfying as the previous. Staff helpful and friendly,
facility immaculate, service terrific!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our family grew up in San Lorenzo and have been away from California for about 18 years now. My mom likes to come back to visit and when she does, I travel with her and we always stay at the San Leandro Marina Inn. Location is key for us as we grew up one city over. You can fly into Oakland or San Francisco and take the BART to the San Leandro station and call for a shuttle from the Inn. The shuttle runs daily and is a big plus for my mom who is in her 80s. We realized this trip we could have almost made it without a rental car.

We love the fact that it is near the walking path at the Marina. When I was growing up it was called the "par course." It seems to be about a mile walk around the course and it's right along the Marina and it's beautiful. It is also near Horatios and El Toritos restaurants--wIthin walking distance to both of those restaurants. The par course would be too far for my mom to walk to, but I bet the shuttle driver would take her there. If you are able to ride a bike, you can also check out a bicycle for free from the hotel and ride over to the course or just around the marina.

The room was very comfortable and there is free wi-fi. We stayed in a room with two double beds and the beds were very comfortable. Our room had a shower (no tub) with excellent water pressure. One thing to note is that if you would like a bath tub -- rooms with bath tubs are on the first floor. The walk in shower works great for my mom with plenty of places to hold on as she steps in.

Every morning there is a free continental breakfast with waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast, fruit, bagels, cottage cheese, cereals, juices and coffee. Every afternoon there are fresh-baked cookies at the front desk. There is also a complimentary copy of USA Today and The Wall Street Journal available at the front desk.

The Staff was incredible. Very, very pleasant and outgoing. We were especially pleased with a young man named Matthew.. But everyone - the front desk help, the shuttle drivers, the ladies who cleaned our room and the men who were shampooing the carpet were all very friendly. I was walking back to my room with two cups of coffee and a newspaper and the front desk help asked if I would like help getting back to my room. I declined, but that type of customer service will keep me coming back time and time again.

Because the Inn is near the Oakland airport, it affects the cell phone coverage in some of the rooms. You may ask to be put in a room that has "better" coverage. We stayed here four years ago and I never noticed a problem. But I don't remember what room we were in. This time we were in Room 201 and had very little coverage. The Marina Inn also has balcony rooms and I could see where this would be a nice benefit if your cell phone was important to you, because you could go out on the balcony and pick up a signal. I actually enjoyed a little reprieve from my phone so it didn't bother me much.

I would definitely stay here again and we will. I recommend it to others with those two disclosures -- the cell phone factor and the bath tub factor -- both which can be remedied by talking to the reservation clerk.

(Actually forgot about being across the street from the golf course. I don't golf, but my husband does so he would love that.)

Room Tip: Because it is near the airport, cell phone coverage in some rooms is very poor. You can ask for a r...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel
Hilton Oakland Airport
Hilton Oakland Airport
#10 of 49 in Oakland

Been to The Marina Inn on San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!