“Terribly over-priced food and atrocious service-avoid at all costs”
Review of Cafe Mozart

Cafe Mozart
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mozart is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European, Central European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Terribly over-priced food and atrocious service-avoid at all costs”
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Let me start out by saying that I dine out a lot at all different kinds of restaurants at all different prices. I will never ever return to this restaurant and will tell all my friends and family not to go there as well.

One of my good friends put together a local networking event at this restaurant. Having been impressed by the food and the chef/owner, and staff during previous visits, she decided to have the event here. The event consisted of about 70 people. The owner had assured her that they would be able to accommodate the group with no problems and they were used to large groups because they do large parties all the time. From the time the event started until the end, our group was the ONLY business the restaurant had all evening- we did not even take up but half the restaurant. They were not ready for us when we arrived. The tables were to be set up so we can sit in larger groups to be able to talk. That was not done. The staff had to move tables around while we were all standing around waiting to be done. Let me say that the terrible service fell with ONE and only one particular server. My friend had issues with him in the past and specifically requested to the owner that he not attend to the group however the owner did not oblige and had him there anyway. He literally turned his nose up at us and went into a huffing and puffing frenzy (I kid you not) because my friend was not done with her appetizer when he came out with the entrees. My friend spilled a glass of red wine on the table because of the fact that the tables were not put together properly and there was a huge gap between them and was covered up by tablecloths. He later had the audacity to accuse my friend of "drinking too much" (1 glass of wine is apparently too much) and she should not drink anymore because she is spilling on the tablecloths. I could not believe his attitude. I have never in my life seen such awful treatment. It twas appalling.

The food was terribly over priced for the quality and and small portions. They have a very small wine list however they appear to have a full bar.

The owner did not come out once to see how we were doing. Nor did he even bother thanking my friend who brought him 70 customers that evening-the only customers of that evening! This in my opinion, is unacceptable. My friend was so saddened by the night given the fact that she had given the owner so much business in the past and to not even be thanked for that large event and then to have such insulting service.

There are so many good restaurants out there that have MUCH better food and service. Please take the above into consideration. The owner/chef does not appreciate what little business he actually gets and you will not feel appreciated there.

4 Thank JetSetterGirl777

San Juan Capistrano
“A great place to hang out”
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I live in San Juan and this is the best place to dine. Having read some of the other reviews I want to confirm that this is the best place in the Jewel of California to eat. The patio is great and the service is excellent.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An excellent chef, great service and a wonderful patio for a sunny day or warm evening.”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Owner chef, Hans Loschl, was classically trained in Vienna and has worker throughout Europe and North America. I believe he was the executive sous chef at the St. Francis in San Francisco. The food is always great and the service friendly and attentive. The central European fare (Sauerbraten, Schnitzel) is spot on, as are the other dishes. For lunch the four cheese ravioli or Maryland crab cakes are perfect. My wife and I like to share the Black Forest platter which has the eponymous ham, of course, proscuitto, pate, brie, other meats, tomatoes, conichons and is served with good bread and a good German mustard. There are an interesting selection of dinner entrees, but I'd recommend the Australian Lamb Rack Provençal.

I've eaten there many times for dinner, business lunches and lunch with my wife, sometimes with kids in tow.

1 Thank MarkSBrown
Crestline CA
“Love this place”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We always go to the Cafe Mozart whenever we are in San Juan Capistrano, either for lunch or dinner -- usually lunch because we love the beautiful sunny courtyard. Service has always been excellent. We have been coming for so many years, albeit months between visits, that the waiters all recognize us.

We have never had a disappointing meal. I especially love the crab cakes and also the sauerbraten. Soups are excellent, and the spinach and fruit salad is hard to resist. My husband is a dessert eater and almost never gets beyond the very tasty bread pudding. I am sure the other choices are excellent, too, but he will probably never find out.

1 Thank Surudo
San Juan Capistrano
“They don't care whether you like it.”
Reviewed May 30, 2009

There were few people in this musty-smelling restaurant when we went at the request of a friend of the owners, who said they needed the business. The food was unobjectionable, but I chose an entree specifically because it came with gnocchi. When it arrived with some bland, generic starch, I reminded the waiter that the menu indicated gnocchi. He let me know that he couldn't imagine that I expected him to have a variety of starches on a slow night. What was I thinking? I will NEVER go back.
Although the place isn't perfectly awful, I really am suspicious of all the amazing reviews. I have lived here for twenty-three years and no one has ever recommended Mozart to me, except for a sunny, outdoor lunch near shopping. It is fine for that. Check with your friends before trying it for dinner.

4 Thank VonSanJuan