“Enjoy!”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2012

One of my favorite restaurants in town! Delicious food and very fair prices. The seafood crepes are a real treat and the sandwiches are the same price as Subway next door but twice as good (and I like Subway).

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Last time we went there we had the Vegetable Fritata and the Bruschetta and Spaghetti Bolonaise and Spaghetti Olio. Everyone loved their food but the Bruschetta was the best. It has the usual tomatoes, basil, olive oil, onion, etc, plus capers and great kalamata olives on wonderful crispy bread. Aldo is a sweet guy who is a great host and chef, the waiters come and go but have been mostly good (we go there at least once a month) and it's not fancy but it is friendly and always smells so yummy. The prices are good and the lunchtime sandwiches are also good. Plus you can bring your dog and eat outside if you want. Lots of locals do that. Great place!!

Reviewed November 3, 2011

This place is so cramped and dirty. Service sucks. Was there with my wife , her meal came out 10 minutes after mine. Had to send it back due to wrong order, then when it finally came out. It was cold and looked lousy. The owner is some grease ball that stands at 1 table yakkin it up with 1 customer while half a dozen other tables are trying to get the attention of the waiter that rarely comes around. Food was mediocre to poor quality. Would never go back.

1  Thank DSFoodie
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This isn't the kind of Italian place you go for a romantic date or if you want a luxurious atmosphere. This is the kind of place where you want good, down-to-earth food from a truly nice guy for a very reasonable price. We were visiting the Mission just around the corner and Yelped around, saw the good reviews, and man are we happy we came.

First off, Aldo himself is a dream. He's warm, welcoming, and inviting in that authentic Italian way that just can't be faked. My toddler was a little reluctant to go into the restaurant, believing the next-door Subway was actually an ice cream parlor. Aldo immediately started calming her down and showed her this stuffed "Italian" teddy bear that sings "That's Amore" when you press its paw. After one quick trip into Subway to show her there wasn't any ice cream, she settled right down and started people watching while we ordered.

6pm on a Saturday and we got the very last inside table. Some others arrived and sat outside, despite the evening chill. Only one waiter besides Aldo himself, and I have to admit service was a little lackadaisical. But while not prompt, we didn't have to wait long either. And once we ordered the food came out in good order without delay.

The grilled paninis are absolutely delish. I wish my stomach was bigger so that I could eat more, and as I sit here typing this I wish I was back at Aldo's with that salami sandwich again. There's a posted sign outside with $5 panini specials, even for dinner (beat THAT, Subway). The meatballs were sweet and oh-so-yummy. And all three of us were happily fed for under $20, including an iced cafe latte.

I don't know what in our future will bring us into this neck of the woods again, but if we do come, we'll definitely come back here!

Reviewed August 18, 2011

This review is only for Pasta Night that happens on Wednesday. So in true fairness I can not attest to plenty of other dishes Chef Aldo offers. Pasta Night was our first visit to Aldo's and for under $10 is all you can eat of Alfredo, Pesto, Garlic and Butter and Lasagna. The pasta was nice, not spectacular. We also had Lentil soup which we found boring and nothing special. Warm bread that was fresh, a Caesar's Salad that was fresh and nicely dressed. The pasta got old fast but I have to say they also included steamed vegetables in the buffet and that was a very nice touch. Chef Aldo tirelessly walked back and forth of his small sidewalk cafe and the place started getting crowded by 7PM, so he does have his loyal fans. His personality is just what the San Juan Capistrano culinary world needs. He is obviously one of a kind and it shows. In the end so much pasta gets tiresome fast but we figured being our first time it would give us a chance to try some of the food from this place. Service was okey not great but there is a definite feeling of family in this place and I would say that is thanks to Aldo. Perhaps the next time I will try their Linguini Tutti De Mare or Ravioli, but what we ate this visit rates only a 3. The personal touch of Chef Aldo, on the other hand, rates easily a 5 Stars!

1  Thank Luke17