“Rehearsal dinner -- turned out great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Creek Inn

Cedar Creek Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Creek Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Contemporary, Pub, Gluten Free
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: El Camino Real
Description: Rated top 100 al fresco restaurants in the United States in Forbes Magazine
Toronto, Canada
“Rehearsal dinner -- turned out great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our son got married in San Juan Capistrano, and we wanted the rehearsal dinner to be conveniently nearby in the town. There didn't seem to be a lot to choose from which would nicely accommodate 40-60 people (our family rehearsal dinners are always pretty big), but we sampled a couple on a visit and were satisfied with the Cedar Creek Inn. However, since we live about 3000 miles away from there, I would have to finalize all the arrangements long distance. Over a period of several months I made a number of telephone calls and sent emails back and forth, and felt reasonably sure that we had the room reserved for the right date, but a lot of the other aspects always felt a little bit "fluid", and nobody seemed interested in taking my credit card info, which would have made me feel more secure. A couple of weeks before the wedding I sent an email to the Events Manager outlining all the arrangements (numbers, menu, time, table settings, etc.) which I wished to have confirmed. Ten days later I had to telephone to ask why my email had gone unanswered. Everybody was always friendly and assured me that we had a reservation on file, but I had some difficulty connecting with the actual Events Manager, and was still waiting to receive a copy of the wine list to make our selections. Still, it all seemed to be coming together bit by bit.

I arrived in San Juan Capistrano three days before the wedding day, went immediately to the restaurant, and finally met the Events lady herself -- she did not inspire confidence, not being the kind of outgoing, take-charge person most likely to have that kind of job. She still seemed a little fuzzy about the menu (though she did steer me towards a better dessert choice), and it was only then that I discovered there might be other diners in the room (which was bigger than I had remembered). But I was satisfied that things would be okay, and after all, you want the wedding dinner to be the really big deal.

On the evening of the dinner, the Events Manager was not in attendance. However, she had assembled a wait staff assigned entirely to our dinner (I think it was about six people) with a team manager who was completely on top of things. All the wait staff were friendly and helpful, the room looked great, and our guests from both families were buzzing with excitement. The Food was excellent, proportions extremely generous (that dessert was actually TOO big!), good wine, and we were able to enjoy our dinner without any great notice of other diners in the booths along the wall. We were especially pleased with the scampi entree -- so often such dishes are big on presentation and slim on actual scampi, but this one had plenty of large and tasty scampi, with excellent potato and vegetable sides.

The restaurant has very warm and comfortable decor, and is directly across the street from the historic Mission site. Our dinner was in the large indoor space, but there is also a nice bar and a bid outdoor patio area (where we had previously enjoyed a good lunch). The restaurant has to rent table linens for party events, and does not have its own arrangement with a florist, but these items were all in place and looked wonderful. (I found my own florist and she was GREAT! "Floral Occasions" in San Juan Capistrano.) So, despite the preparation process going a little less than smoothly, the experience in general was very good, and I'd certainly recommend the Cedar Creek Inn to the visitor to this wonderful little mission town.

• Thai first
Oceanside, California
“Every bite, a party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I haven't been here in a few years, yet the quality is as always: excellent
After a visiting the Mission, no better place to go relax. Mimosas made with Chandon, fresh quality food, and a great atmosphere.
You can not go wrong with the food here, no matter what you choose. Simple as that.
Very attentive, yet not intrusive personnel.
All the way around a perfect 10
Summer is coming: I will come back for their Peach Lush Pie!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars
Boston, MA
“Super cute & good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went for happy hour in the bar and not disappointed! Great prices and portions. The food is as good as I remember from back when they were also located in Laguna Beach and Palm Desert. Great atmosphere...warm, inviting, and super cute! Lovely patio. Service was so so...good at first, and then got slow. The chopped Cobb salad has always been one of my favorite dishes, but everything is good.

• 3 of 5 stars
Tarzana
“A beautiful place with 5-star service and 5-star food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Thanks to a recent birthday brunch that was booked at the Cedar Creek Inn, I had opportunity to visit; I can't wait to return! The atmosphere was so peaceful and friendly and the menu a delight to read. The patio offers lovely views of the historic Mission right across the street and has comfortable furniture and can hold a large group. The signature lemon pancakes are a popular choice and the variety of sandwiches, salads and pastas and fish, meat, poultry and vegetarian dishes too numerous to mention here. I found the waitstaff to be always smiling, helpful and working especially hard to please. Parking can easily be made on site or on street. Reservations are recommended. Do yourself a favor and dine here!

• Visited February 2013
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Always a great choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Have had many lunches and dinners at Cedar Creek and never, ever disappointed. Nice salad selections at lunch and good choices for dinner for meat lovers as well as those, like myself, who enjoy lighter cuisine. Very nice atmosphere and beautiful, large outside patio facing Mission San Juan Capistrano.

• Visited February 2013