“Again, I think this place is overrated. It's always packed, but I think the food is overpriced and sort of ok, but not...”

El Adobe de Capistrano
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Again, I think this place is overrated. It's always packed, but I think the food is overpriced and sort of ok, but not great. Go to Ricardos.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

• Turkish first
Austin, Texas
“Great Brunch!”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My wife and I were invited to brunch at El Adobe the other day. Neither of us had been there, so we were not sure what to expect in a brunch at a Mexican restaurant.

In short, the food was very good. The El Adobe brunch is not a buffet; you order off of their menu. Both of us ordered the cinnamon french toast that is accompanied by three(!) eggs. We nearly cleaned our plates.

My wife ordered cranberry juice, and I ordered a mimosa. For my mimosa, a small botttle of champagne was brought to the table so that I might refill it as needed.

Our service was very good.

As we were leaving, we took note in the lobby of large pictures of Richard and Pat Nixon exiting a presidential limousine (complete with The Seal of the President of the United States on the door) in front of El Adobe. There were quite a few photos that showed the Nixons wearing different clothes -- so it was obvious that they visited several times. I asked our host if he knew the story, and he said that El Abobe was Nixon's favorite place to dine when he was at his home in San Clemente. As a history buff, I found the pictures - and the story - quite interesting.

Los Angeles
“Lovely and yummy!”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

Lovely historic adobe restaurant with tons of charm. Check out the beautiful bar and fireplace. Great margararitas and a mean chile colorado -- highly recommended! If we lived in the area we'd be regulars.

Los Angeles, California
“Great food and impecable service in a historic landmark!”
Reviewed December 21, 2006

We recently had lunch at El Adobe de Capistrano. We travel to SJCapo frequently but had never eaten at El Adobe. The facade is deceivingly unadorned, due to the historic nature of the site, but the interior is inviting! The restaurant offers mesquite-grilled steaks as well as a good variety of chicken, fish and shrimp items. The black bean soup was very good but the potato soup (special soup of the day) was incredible -creamy and flavorful! I also recommend the blackened fish tacos which were fresh and not the least bit greasy... a problem at most other restaurants. The enchiladas suizas, chicken enchiladas in a green (tomatillo) sauce, were also excellent. The food was so excellent, we were tempted to return the next day but will return our next trip. Our waiter was attentive, service quick and professional. El Adobe is one of those rare restaurants that realizes that great service makes for repeat visitors. Additional staff keep your coffee cup/water glass filled and plates are served and cleared in an unobtrusive manner. What more could you ask for- excellent food, incredible value for the price (about $14 for our selections), superb service and a beautiful historic adobe!!!
The Adobe, a state historical landmark, parts of which date to 1797, has a beautiful bar and a variety of rooms. Was a favorite of the late President Nixon. This is one of those rare places for either a casual meal or a special occasion.

2 Thank 101travelers
“A few blocks from the Mission”
Reviewed October 24, 2005

Service was great. Food was excellent (even if this was Pres Nixons fav Mex eatery:)).

Easy walk after your Mission tour. Prices very fair.

They were preparing the main banquet room for a wedding, which was viewable from the upper seating areas...was beautiful...everything pure white.

If you a visiting the area, try here...its not super spicy hot (unless you ask)....and was just excellent.

3 Thank KenK