“All nice except the pit bull and the assitant manager's response”

Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked a room for my wife and daughter at Residence Inn San Juan Capistrano. The only (terrible) problem was the presence of a huge pit bull next door. Evidently they have no policy restricting the size or kind of pet that stays there and they clearly do not attempt to keep such "pets" in an area and other "petless" guests in another area. When I called Marriott, they forwarded the complain to the hotel. I then received a generic you-are-a-valuable-guest email from the Assistant General Manager, Jim.... No reference to the issue, no answer to my question, no explanation of policy..... Nothing. Just another cheesy response. I expected better from Marriott. WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, unless you have no problem sharing the hallways with huge pit bulls. Be ready f...
Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank SanDiegoSam
Grace M, General Manager at Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Hi Sam,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to speak with you over the phone regarding this issue. Again, we are deeply sorry for all the inconvenience that this issue had caused you. Thank you for your understanding.

We are so looking forward to host your future stay in the area.

Have a wonderful week!

Best,
-Grace M.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here for a week with my husband, two kids, and our au pair. The two bedroom/two bathroom suite w/ sofabed not only made our stay comfortable, it was a much better value than paying for multiple rooms and being separated by a hallway a more traditional hotel. I agree with the reviews that the hotel is understaffed - particularly at the breakfast bar - on the other hand, the hotel was spotless outside as well as inside (a major feat for the number of dogs who were staying there. The employees we interacted with were polite, warm and welcoming and did their best to accomdate all of our needs. The view isn't great, but the rooms were quiet (despite all of the dogs and even though it's right next to the highway), and the location is really convenient. Aside from staffing, my only other complaint was that I had a hard time sleeping, but I can't tell you why - the bed was comfortable and I usually don't have trouble sleeping when I travel. Maybe it's just age. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I plan to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: If you don't need a double suite, request a room that overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zs67
Grace M, General Manager at Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Hello! It was a pleasure hosting your stay! We are so looking forward to host your future visits in the area! Please feel free to reach out to me/team if there is anything that we can do for your next trip!

Cheers and have a great 2014!!!!

Best,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for ten days at the end of October and early November. Standard Residence Inn with a suite with a kitchenette. Breakfast everyday and manger's special three nights a week. $12 per day parking fee! That was a bit of a shock.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Toby H
Grace M, General Manager at Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hello! Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are so looking forward to host your future stay in the area!

On regards to the parking charge, we will continue to proactively communicate this to our guests at check in. I do apologize if this was not shared with you during the check in process.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Cheers!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Much has been said in prior reviews about how understaffed this Residence and I saw that for myself. My colleague and I arrived at 4 p.m. on a Friday afternoon in October. There was a long line at reception and only one person at the front desk. He was like a chicken with its head cut off, running between the two work stations, answering the phones, and trying to manage the growing number of people coming to talk to him. These included a large number of wedding guests. After a half hour of waiting, my colleague and I decided to leave to grab dinner, as we had been traveling for the past 12 hours from the East Coast then had gone straight to work before coming to the hotel. When we returned two hours later, the number of guests at reception did not seem to have lessened; there was still one person at the front desk. I was told that the only room available was on the first floor (I prefer higher floors for a personal sense of safety) I was also told that housekeeping was backed up on getting rooms ready. I said I would prefer to wait for a room available on a higher floor than check in to the first floor room only to move again. After a half hour of waiting in the lobby, the front desk person approached me and said he was told that it would be unrealistic for me to wait for a room since none would be available that night. He said I should just check in to the first floor room and relax and another room would be available to me the following day. I was exhausted after a long day of travel and relented to check in to room 101, which is at the furthest end of the property. Both windows looked out to the parking lot and that is also where the smokers chose to smoke. While I could not smell the cigarette smoke, I did not feel safe that anyone can just look in to the room and I did not want to have to feel like I was in a cave by having the blinds drawn. Additionally, there were no drinking glasses in the kitchenette and the bathroom sink stopper was broken (so water did not drain). The following day, I informed them of these issues and was promised that housekeeping would be contacted about the glasses and engineering would be called regarding the stopper. Neither one appeared. I eventually found the glasses in the dishwasher, but wasn't sure if they were clean, so had to re-wash them. No one came to fix the stopper. Nor was another room on a different floor available to me. The same person at the front desk gave me the same line: “Check back with us tomorrow about moving to a different room.” I spent two nights out of seven in room 101 with the broken sink stopper and a view of the smoker, before a room on my preferred floor was found for me. I was just too happy to move out of room 101 that I sucked it up and moved all of my things to the third floor room late on a Sunday night even though my Monday was an early work day.

This property has a complimentary shuttle service to Dana Point Harbor from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. and my colleague and I were hoping to use it to catch the 11 a.m. Catalina Explorer from Dana Point to Avalon on a Sunday. Unfortunately, we were told that because the manager doesn't arrive until 11 a.m., the person at the front desk is not able to leave and drive the shuttle, and the shuttle would not be available until after noon. So, in addition to paying the daily $12 parking fee at this Residence in, we also had to shell out an additional $12 to park at Dana Point Harbor, because the complimentary shuttle was not available. Yet another reason how the understaffing at this property negatively affected customer service.

The train horns did not bother me, but I could hear it whether I was in room 101 or room 338, so don't expect to escape the noise.

If you like pork sausage, you'll like the complimentary breakfast at this property. That is what is served at this property every day, in different forms (sausage patties, sausage hash). One morning, the hot food (eggs, sausage, potatoes) were served almost half an hour late. Thankfully, the waffle maker was still operational.

I rated this property with a 3 because if I overlooked the issues associated with the understaffing, it is an average Residence Inn: same room layout and amenities. Its location is not convenient to walking to restaurants, stores, or local attractions, so I don't really understand why they would have guests pay an additional $12 to park there. I expect to pay for parking if the property is near a local attraction (e.g., Residence inn Gaslamp Quarter which is adjacent to the ballpark) because you don't want non-guests to take advantage of the complimentary parking. But this location does not really offer anything extra to support the parking fee required.

I booked at this property because of brand loyalty, but if I come back to this area on another business trip, I would book at another Marriott, even if that location is an additional 5 miles from my workplace. I would still get the same Platinum bonus points but with a much nicer stay.

Room Tip: Anyone can look into room 101 at night, even if the curtains are drawn
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CCC_wanderlust

Hello! I do apologize for the delay of the response - we were in the process of doing a transition.
Thank you for your feedback and I do understand your frustration. Rest assured that the issues were shared and was addressed with my team.

If you need to personally speak with me on this regard - please feel free to call me at 949-4433600 ext. 461.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Thanks for the hospitality! It was very much appreciated! All employees were well trained and had great customer service skills! The accommodations were wonderful! Made my Business trip most enjoyable! Keep up the good work!!!! How wonderful it is to see so many "Team Players" in one location! Will definitely look forward to my next trip to CA.

Regards, Penny Shores (Minnesota)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you! It was a pleasure hosting your stay! We are so looking forward to host your future visits in the area!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Cheers!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My family and I were attending a wedding at the Ritz Carlton Dana Point on Labor Day weekend, but there was no way we were going to shell out $$$ to stay at the Ritz.

Pros: This hotel has a great location. It is easy to get onto the PCH and hit up the beach and it's also very close to a grocery store and the historic downtown mission is just a couple miles away. The hotel is very clean and offers complimentary wifi, free breakfast, and kitchenette like other Residence Inns. When I booked my room, only studios were available. At check-in, I was hoping to upgrade from a studio to a suite so we could have a separate bedroom. Before I made my reservation, I had read so many reviews that mentioned Jennifer at the front desk. Assuming there is only one Jennifer working there, she checked me in and I found her to be extremely nice and helpful. She sincerely apologized that she could not upgrade me to a suite because the hotel was sold out for Labor Day weekend. She also answered my questions and so I had no complaints about my front desk experience. Our first morning of the breakfast buffet was very nice. Joey greeted us upon arrival in the dining room and he was extremely proactive with cleaning up tables, so we didn't see a sea of dirty tables when we eating. He also asked us if we needed anything, which is something you don't always see at free breakfast buffets.

Cons: The trains are indeed something else. We had a view of them from our room. Perhaps there is some sort of city ordinance about running whistles at night because I don't think we heard them past 10PM. However, the whistles during the day make it very difficult if you have a toddler trying to nap in the room. I had also read reviews about the slow housekeeping service. They may indeed be understaffed. Our first morning there, we left our room around 11 AM. Housekeeping had not yet been by, but they were at the door next to ours when we left and I saw two more housekeeping carts down the hall. We returned 5 hours later and our room had still not been made up. Finally around 4:30 PM someone came by to take our trash and exchange towels. The next day, we again left for several hours and when we returned the room still had not been cleaned. Since we had a toddler to put down for a nap before going to a wedding, we had to put up the do not disturb sign and forego cleaning service that day. We did however, receive a voicemail from Jennifer, the friendly front desk person, telling us that housekeeping came by while our sign was up and to contact the front desk if we needed anything, which was a nice touch, but I really would have preferred housekeeping to complete their service by a reasonable time of day. Our second morning of eating the breakfast buffet was also more chaotic. There were three people staffing the buffet, but biscuits, gravy, eggs, and the potatoes were all out at the same time for 10 minutes. The line was backed up because everyone was waiting for entrée items. During busy times, it seems that backup items should always be prepped and ready to go.

Overall - I am a Marriott fan, and I enjoy staying in the newer style of Residence Inns. This hotel has a lot going for it, but next time I'm in the area, I may try out the DoubleTree next to the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the trains and also ask where housekeeping starts service for the day (i.e...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ChampCamp
Reviewed September 4, 2013

When we checked in, we noticed the hotel was extremely clean, which we thought was fantastic. The room did not disappoint in that regard, very clean and pleasant. Nice kitchenette, everything worked well. The front desk clerk when we checked in was very friendly, mentioning the dinner they offered that night as well as what time the breakfast was available in the morning. The desk clerk when we checked out (early to catch the boat to Catalina) was less than enthusiastic- did not even ask how our stay was! The only troubling thing about the whole stay was the trains. The hotel is next to the Amtrak tracks, and as such you get the frequent trips of the Amtrak Surfliner and Coastliner. Those are not bad, as they go by quickly with only a quick horn blast. However, late at night, the long and heavy freight trains rumble by and actually shake the building. We were on the west side by the tracks, not sure if it was better on the other side, but we didn't inquire because we had a very short night ahead anyway. All in all, a pleasant hotel that I would stay at again...just maybe on the east side next time.

Room Tip: Railroad tracks on west side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!