“We enjoyed our stay here.”

Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano
Arizona
“We enjoyed our stay here.”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel must be fairly new, the property/rooms are very nice and accommodating. It was a great place to stay for a family visit, 35(+/-) minutes from Disneyland and 35(+/-) minutes from Lego-land. You can see Costco from the property so that is nice for less expensive gas and a quick cheap bite to eat. Albertsons (grocery store) right up the street. Beach was 5 minutes away. With a family you should go to "baby beach" as the nice locals had recommended to us. Pool was small, but no big deal it was not crowded and if you need more room the ocean is right down the street. The staff was great! Breakfast staff was all very friendly as well as the housekeepers and Front Desk staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilyfunlovetheSun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
California
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was my first stay at a Residence Inn and I did not have high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at how new and clean the RI SJC is. My room was a studio with a King bed and was quite spacious for my three day stay. The gym is small, but well equiped. I noticed a family with a dog at the firepit, and the manager told me that any size dogs are allowed. That makes like a mandatory stop for my family and our 60 lb 'puppy'.

While there is nothing in walking distance, the restaurants in San Juan Capistrano are only a 5 min drive. And the cafes and shopping areas on Avenida Del Mar in San Clemente are only 10 mins by freeway. I drove 3 min down the road to Doheny Beach for a run at sunset. Very central to everything.

If you are visiting the Meggitt offices in SJC, the RI shuttle will take you there and pick you up.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite facing the pool. Otherwise you look at the freeway or car dealership.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank jarocha914
Alta Loma, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have not stayed at a residence inn in many years as in the past I was not very impressed. Being that it is owned by Marriott I was willing to give it another try. I was really impressed by how nice this hotel was!! The front desk staff was very nice. When I book my room with Marriott I always ask for a feather free room. When we got to our room the pillows were not feather free even though they got us the feather free pillows I still woke up with red swollen eyes. I guess I need to just travel with my own pillow! The bed was very comfortable! The kitchen and dining room area were adorable! It was clean and comfortable! The free breakfast was perfect- lots of choices! I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank kimlh
Redlands, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here for a soccer tournament weekend and really enjoyed the property. Front desk staff was friendly. There was a shuttle that provided transportation within a 5 mile radius. Nice location, close to San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Doheny Beach.

Pool area was a little small but there was a firepit, putting green, basketball court, a jacuzzi - everything you would expect at a Residence inn. Yes, the $12 parking fee was very annoying,

Comfy bed.

Breakfast was standard RI fare.

We faced the street, had a view of the car dealer across the street, but didn't hear any noise.

Would definitely stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank califsoccermom
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here. Very good breakfast and they even serve dinner three nights a week to their guests. How often do you see a staff member serve birthday cake for one of the extended stay guest with a big smile on her face ?? We only stayed two night at this location however I wish we could have stayed there the other 3 nights because it was far above the other hotel.

If we ever get another chance to stay here --- we will !

Room Tip: I think the higher rooms offered a much better view. (You can see the ocean from certain areas )
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Heavy T
Brea, CA
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We wanted our kids to do a grunion run at Doheny State Beach so we booked a room at this hotel using points. It was a wonderful stay. The hotel is new so it is sparkling and very clean. I loved the decor. The location was near enough to the beach, but not walking distance. There aren't many choices for food nearby that we could find. We were craving Japanese, but couldn't find one near enough to the hotel. We ended up having Chinese food, which was just okay. There is a Costco right next door. I'm sure it is walkable, but I decided to drive there. We bought a lunch of hot dogs and pizza from there and brought it back to the pool.

The pool area is small, but nice and clean. Again, since everything is brand new, the whole area looked nice. My husband asked for a few golf balls and a putter as they have a cute putting green there. Since it is a Residence Inn, the hotel and outdoor area have a very homey feeling. It's like being in your friend's backyard - really nice backyard. They also had a firepit with chairs around it. Nice, but we didn't use it. The ocean view is really far off, but oddly the beach is not that far of a drive. Just a few minutes - like a mile and a half or so. The area around the hotel isn't so great, but when you're in the hotel, it feels relaxing and comfortable.

The free breakfast was standard Residence Inn, always a treat (but not as nice as Embassy Suites' omelet station - but then again, ES doesn't provide weekly dinners like RI either).

I don't know if it is because the hotel just opened, but the girl at the front desk didn't seem to know much. She had a thick Eastern European accent, which was difficult for me to understand at times, and she did not smile once. I asked her a couple of questions, which she did not know the answers to, which I felt should have been standard such as, "How far is the beach?" Later, a lady who I think is the manager came out and she was very friendly and seemed to know much more.

Because we used points, we were given a "studio," but it was still quite large. I had bought some pizza rolls for my kids to munch on, but couldn't find the oven. I called the front desk to ask where the oven was. The girls said it was in the kitchen. I asked if it was disguised or hidden somewhere. She said no. I could not find the oven. The girl said every room has an oven so it's there somewhere. I asked them to send someone to the room to show me. A minute later, a male called the room and said that studios do not have ovens. Oh - okay. No big deal, but I thought I was going crazy not being able to find the oven in such a small kitchen.

Overall, I will stay at this hotel again because it's comfy and clean. BTW, we didn't see any grunion that night. :(

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jek134
seattle
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Pro's - new property, nice housekeeping staff
Con's - upon check-in, met by "Laura" - gee, bad atitude for someone in the "hospitality" business.. Short, curt, not at all friendly. Was given a room facing Stonehill, a busy/ noisy street. Upon entering the room, went to freshen up and discovered the toilet was clogged. Called to the front desk to ask for it to be repaired, "Laura" said that if they couldn't fix it, that there were few options as they were full. I explained to her that I was not asking to be moved...snotty attitude.
Spent the first night in the room, figured out the following day that one of the reasons it was so noisy is that the windows did not fuly close/ seal. Faulty installation. Asked to be moved and got a first floor room facing the freeway. Suprisingly much quieter.
Kudos to the housekeeping staff. During the move, forgot a cell pone charger. They brought it to us. Asked for additional soap. tissues, no problem.
$12.00 for parking - really guys?
Overall - nice property, but probably won't stay here again. Overpriced and don't need the attitude.
Too Bad

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dana Point Marina Inn
#8 of 12 in Dana Point
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Quality Inn & Suites Oceanview

Been to Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!