Open today: Closed

Ways to Experience Mission San Juan Capistrano
from $38.00
More Info
1,596 results
All reviews audio tour california history gift shop lots of history orange county chapel ruins artifacts architecture butterflies beauty sjc volunteers
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2016

My family and I have been to several missions and this one is one of the larger ones.
There is plenty to see including an original wine pit to stomp the grapes. It reminded me of I Love Lucy when she is stomping grapes.
You can't stomp the grapes nowadays, but you can almost see them doing it when you see how big this space is.

The architecture and all the art work on the walls is breathtaking too. If you can only pick 1 mission this one is fantastic.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank mlaw1970
Reviewed September 7, 2016

My husband & I visited Mission San Juan Capistrano in August 2016. Of the missions we've visited in the Southwestern US in recent years (which has been quite a few), this mission was definitely one of our favorites! Mission San Juan Capistrano has been nicely maintained/restored for visitors. Absolutely beautiful gardens, chapel, bell wall, paintings, etc. We opted not to do the audio tour & browse the mission grounds at our own pace. However, we still felt like we learned a great deal about the history of this mission given all of the displays and signage. We stayed about 1.5-1.75 hrs and felt like that was a reasonable time frame, but if you do the audio tour &/or are a history buff, you might wish to stay longer. Adult admission is $9/person. At the entrance to the mission is a nice gift shop. Parking is street side (we were able to find parking only about a block away). We would recommend decent walking shoes (given uneven surfaces) & also to bring along a bottle of water (especially in the summer). There are several restaurants in the vicinity of the mission if you would like to enjoy lunch before or after touring the mission. Great visit!

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank taryn0
Reviewed September 6, 2016

The tour of the Mission was very informative and interesting. Learning about the history of the area and how the mission was built.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank ppickering
Reviewed September 6, 2016 via mobile

This is one of the best mission last we've visited other than parking and the bit high free to get in it's very interesting for religious people, they have a guided tour or a tour with audio boxes.
Both are good.
The inhouse shop is very good.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank MarkE0668
Reviewed September 6, 2016

I don't usually tour this type of thing but I thoroughly enjoyed this visit. The grounds are beautiful and the history is fascinating. The place is truly serene and, while it is not an art museum, there is some beautiful impressionist art that adds to the story telling. While I am not terribly religious, I was touched by the chapel, where people wrote to the Lord in a book provided for that purpose. The architecture and way of life of the missionaries is fascinating. There is a free audio tour, which we passed on, and enough to read to learn a lot about this exquisite place and its history.

Date of experience: September 2016