“The best option for a place to stay in San Juan Bautista”
Review of Posada de San Juan

Posada de San Juan
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I have been coming to La Posada since it first opened... sometime in the 90's??

The Pros: It's right in the middle of town, not that SJB is a sprawling city, but you can literally walk anywhere you need to from this location. Check out Dona Esther's for good Mexican, JJ's for awesome burgers and Matxain Etxea for delicious Basque cuisine! The rooms have double-headed showers, deep jacuzzi tubs, and gas fireplaces. They definitely put in some nice romantic touches when they built the place! If you are staying on the second floor, you'll also more than likely have a balcony view. The owners are warm and inviting and allow the guests to bring down a bottle of wine and cozy up by the fireplace for a few drinks.

The Cons: It's definitely the nicer hotel of the two options, but definitely in need of an update. Unfortunately, over time the hotel just doesn't have the same charm as it used to when it first opened. The pink and pale blue wall coverings need to go, and the rooms really could use some updated furniture, my room was a little musty smelling when I walked in, but was able to fix that quickly by opening the french doors for a few minutes to allow some fresh air in... however I can't really fault the owners who are probably struggling through the economy - I hope they will consider a makeover once things pick up!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MigratingBirdie

Reviewed November 22, 2010

Mary the owner was very nice. The room was clean, the showers are awesome 2 shower heads, and a gas fireplace was awesome. The beds were comfortable, and since I am a chiropractor I notice those things. It is close to walking distance to everything in town. I loved hearing the roosters crow in the morning, cool charm. The room was very quite, we stayed upstairs on the North side of building. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank docmms
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This was my second stay at the Posada within 2 years but on Nov 13th, there were 30 of us, all colleagues. The owner, Mrs. Lopez, Marilyn and rest of the staff couldn't have been more gracious to accomodate the needs of our large group. Rooms were large, cozy and clean. And yes, some things are a little worn but the Posada has been around awhile and not exactly in a huge metropolis area. But if you like comfortable, quaint, clean, reasonable, easy walking distance to everything in San Juan Bautista, this Hotel should do it. And not a "louse" in sight! I would definitely stay there again.

Jackie Meador
CCPI

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ghostpi
Reviewed November 13, 2010

When our car club took a back roads tour to San Juan Bautistia and planned to stay at this hotel I was terribly worried after reading all the reviews. We decided to brave it and knew that if it was really that bad we could actually drive home instead of spending the night. However, we were pleasantly surprised! The lobby area where we had our evening cocktails was lovely ad the fireplace kept us warm on a cold and rainy night. The rooms were large, clean and had a fireplace. Not terribly elegant but just fine! In the morning we woke to the noise of the area roosters who do welcome the sunrise over and over and over again! Kind of charming. San Juan isn't really a happening place but if you need to stay there I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Posada de San Juan.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank GrabYourHat
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My wife & I spent one night there after dropping our Granddaughter off in Salinas.
I had read reviews about the place & was not sure if we should stay, I took the address & phone # just in case we didn't want to drive all the way back to Sacramento on a busy Friday night. We were promptly greeted by the owner, we asked about discount rates or other places to stay in the area. The owner was quite accommodating she gave us keys to the 2 rooms that were available so we could check them out,she also called the other hotel across the highway & told us the price which was slightly cheaper. We were so excited & impressed about how nice the room was with the fireplace & spa tub, very clean & quite we stayed just the one night. Staff even let us borrow a wine opener, phone charger. Find that kind of service in those big Corporate hotels. This place has been well maintained & has lots of character, within walking of everything. Even the chickens roaming around the parking lot & town are friendly. We are going to make it a point to stay there again on our many trips to Monterey / Salinas. I bet if you stay you too will come back.
I really did not see any of the conditions mentioned in some of the other reviews & we are pretty picky. Good value, Great location & Good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TCANTELOPE
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 10 days, that was horrible!!! I got head lice there. Several people complained of the itchiness but i was the only want to stay longer enough to discover the reason. the rooms are big and with a fire place, but the bed, carpet, bathroom, etc were old, and seems they picked the dark color to avoid the cleaning process. the rates are very high for the very low standards of this place. Breakfast never ready before 7:30 if you want disgusting black coffee and a toast. My advice, drive 20 or 30 minutes more and go to salinas or Monterrey (that is a great area).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank ariadmon
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel...what a disappointment. The first trip and room weren't so bad, but in five years this place needs a face lift. The room were dingy, old outdated wall paper trimmings. The bathtub I wouldn't set foot in. The water smelled and tasted horrible. The pillows smelled like rancid sweat, this was also a compliant by another person in my group. Couldn't take even wash your face because the hot water at night was down to a trickle. No room to room calling...what century are they in? They were rude during check in with not only my group but the people ahead of us. They billed us for two nights instead of one and neither of the billings matched our printed bill. Then proceeded to say we either didn't return out key or something was broke- WRONG. When we called them they said they would look into it but they never called back...I'd rather drive another 10 miles to Gilroy...

• Stayed: July 2010
Baymont Inn and Suites Hollister
Casa de Fruta
Casa de Fruta
#1 of 6 in Hollister

Been to Posada de San Juan? Share your experiences!