“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada de San Juan

Posada de San Juan
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Our motorcycle riding group stayed at this wonderful property. Mary and her husband built this charming hotel. Walking distance to great restaurants an a traffic wine and cigar bar. I will stay there in the future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronnie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I really hate writing negative reviews, and prefer to overlook minor problems in the places I write up on TripAdvisor in order to accentuate the positive. Posada de San Juan poses a real challenge for me in this regard. My wife and I stayed here mainly because there are so few choices in San Juan (only two listed on TripAdvisor!) and this one looked more "authentic" and well-located than the other. We generally prefer older, funkier places to modern, "cookie-cutter" ones. Well, Posada de San Juan is definitely not modern or cookie-cutter. It is located in a beautiful alta-California Spanish-colonial style building, with ample parking off a quiet street one block from the center of charming San Juan Bautista, and easy access to the main street through a covered passageway. The rooms are spacious and comfortable enough, and the bathrooms are certainly functional.
But there are definite problems. First of all, the entire place seems in urgent care of a general "sprucing up." There is just something very tired about the facilities. There were problems in our room. Most obviously, lamps and other lights that were inexplicably set on timers, requiring us to get up and wave our arms around in orderto turn them back on; an annoyingly loud bathroom fan; and an omnipresent somewhat musty smell. On the other hand, there was functioning free WiFi in our room, and the beds were perfectly comfortable. The worst complaint, by far, was the unavailability of staff. There was only one woman present the whole time we were there -- and she was apparently the owner! There was no way to reach her, or anyone else, after hours. When we tried to call the front desk with questions or problems, no one answered. We felt pretty deserted, actually. When I asked her about this at check-out in the morning, she blamed the phone system and a previous employee who she said had somehow broken the phone at the front desk. Nevertheless, she did not want to get the problem fixed because "AT&T charges too much to make a service visit." Oh, really? What about the needs of the guests? What if there were an emergency?
It is obvious what this place's problem is: not enough guests and too lean an operating budget. I fear that without a total upgrade of the facilities (especially the electric lights and the phones), this place will just continue to slide slowly down hill.
Nonetheless, I give it a three star "average" rating because it was good enough for our purposes, retains a true (if faded) charm, and was ideally located in old San Juan Bautista. I hope it can improve, though.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rick049
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I were given a gift certificate for one night. When we checked in, the desk person charged me for 2 nights instead of one. She said she would fix it when we checked out, that I wasn't really charged. Of course, I instantly checked and it was charged. The room on the 2nd floor was nice. The building itself is lovely and the walk way to the main street of San Juan Bautista is convenient, but the hotel is in need of updating. There are no refrigerators in the rooms, as another reviewer commented, the place seems untouched from the 80's. The television reception is crummy (we don't watch tv). When we checked out, the same woman at the desk refused to debit my account, saying that I was charged correctly, even though I showed her the charge on my bank account from my Smartphone. I now have to call my bank to dispute the charge. We won't be going back. Really unfortunate. The upside is that supposedly a new hotel is being built in the area, perhaps with some competition Posada de San Juan will be forced to provide customer service and upgrade their rooms - right now it feels complacent because they are the only game in town for decent lodging.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room has a balcony where you can sit outside
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Stella1762

Travelers are raving about these San Juan Bautista hotels

Livermore, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We booked our stay so we could visit the mission for my son's school project. It's easy to find and perfectly located, within very comfortable walking distance to the downtown restaurants and the mission itself.
Parking is easy. Upon entry, you will be pleased with the lobby area. The atrium like hall of rooms is equally satisfying.
I can't say the inn is family friendly in the sense that you will be charged an extra $20 per child.
Be aware the rooms have not been updated in many years. Though I appreciate the old charm of a time past, I also believe in updating and providing amenities expected in 2014. This said, the carpet is dingy in places. The TV is a small wall mounted one from pre-flat screen era. Many channels are fuzzy. There is no wifi. The decor is reminiscent of the 80's.
The breakfast is not much of anything, not worth counting on. The coffee was barely drinkable. We walked to the bakery 2 minutes away.
Again, the location us prime. There aren't many options here. If I did have an option with similar location, I wouldn't stay here again. The oldness borders on feeling " unclean" to me and the child surcharge really bothers me.

The management was kind enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LittleLily29
Yountville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Family Birthday a block away, we heard about "THE POSADA" from locals.

Facing a street one block off main, the Inn has ample parking and is an easy walk through a European back alley passage to the business district. That separation makes the Posada quiet around the clock.
Two level, manager-owner lives on-site. No elevator.
"Walk-In" most days but get reservations, especially during Championship Golf Season.

TIP: Population is about 1,800 and one is advised to be on good behavior. We have stayed at POSADA five times, on each one some rude person tries to impress the staff with a bit of strutting; best left to the local roosters that run loose and 'talk to each other'.

Several specialty restaurants (Basque, Spanish) within walking distance.

The "POSADA" is a work of love, built in 1970's in Californio (the years between Mexico and Yankee domination ) Style. Well-Preserved Spanish Mission of Saint John the Baptist secularized in 1825, has recovered since the Yankee Conquest in 1848.
Across the Pajaro River from Gilroy, easy to miss. A short run to Carmel & Monterey,

Room Tip: Room includes Continental Breakfast. All rooms are equally attractive in and out. All face inward to...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have been going to San Juan Bautista for about 10 years. It is our quiet little get away from city life. With each stay at The Posada De San juan we become more and more connected with the people of San Juan and the staff and management of the hotel. San Juan has so much to offer. The historic Mission, quaint little shops, GREAT antique stores, FANTASTIC restaurants. and a WORLD CLASS theatre company.

The staff of the hotel has worked miracles when we have shown up without reservations for both the hotel and the theatre. We have NEVER been disappointed with service, cleanliness, or the charm of the hotel. Location is EVERYTHING, steps away from everything. The upstairs rooms are the best! Private balconies that either overlook the foot hills of a large tin roof (That lulls you to sleep on a rainy night.) The gas fire place and jetted tub add to the ROMANCE of this location. (The directions for lighting the fireplace ask you to call the front desk, just incase some of the other travelers missed them and blamed the management.)

We return 4 to 6 times a year and are greeted as part of the family. This town will keep calling you back if you just listen. The hotel is not part of a larger chain and is family owned.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms offer more. Each has it's own balcony. The view of the foothills are nice, (r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don K
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I so wanted to give this hotel a higher rating. It's in a fantastic location right of the main drag in sleepy San Juan Bautista, has beautiful Mission-style interior, comfy beds, nice linens . . . However, we were very dismayed with several factors. The $20 extra person fee for our child when we had a room with two queens was our first disappointment, especially since it hadn't been disclosed when we called the hotel to make the reservation. The receptionist was rather gruff. She made a big point of sharing how many mistakes the person who took our reservation made - like getting our name & address wrong, underquoting us the room rate, not telling us about the extra person fee - but then did nothing to try to fix any problems on our end, resulting in us paying $30 dollars (plus the extra tax) more than originally quoted when we made the reservation. She offered to give us recommendations for dinner, but then said the name of the Mexican restaurant with such a heavy accent (that she hadn't had during the rest of our interaction) that we could not understand her, and when asked to repeat she told us to just look in the black binder in the lobby. Glad we kept asking her to repeat, because the restaurant - Doña Esther- was really good, but we might have missed out on it! The fact that the room did not have an in room coffee maker was a major shock, since I don't function well in public (even the breakfast room of a hotel) without at least one cup in the morning. I can't remember ever staying at a hotel in the U.S. that didn't have in room coffee. Finally, the TV had very poor reception, and since we don't have cable at home, watching tv at night in our hotel is always a big treat for our family, yet another disappointment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Casa de Fruta
Casa de Fruta
#1 of 6 in Hollister
Ridgemark Golf and Country Club Resort

Been to Posada de San Juan? Share your experiences!