“Coulda-shoulda-woulda been a 3 to 4-Star”
Review of Posada de San Juan

Posada de San Juan
California
“Coulda-shoulda-woulda been a 3 to 4-Star”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I so wanted to give this hotel a higher rating. It's in a fantastic location right of the main drag in sleepy San Juan Bautista, has beautiful Mission-style interior, comfy beds, nice linens . . . However, we were very dismayed with several factors. The $20 extra person fee for our child when we had a room with two queens was our first disappointment, especially since it hadn't been disclosed when we called the hotel to make the reservation. The receptionist was rather gruff. She made a big point of sharing how many mistakes the person who took our reservation made - like getting our name & address wrong, underquoting us the room rate, not telling us about the extra person fee - but then did nothing to try to fix any problems on our end, resulting in us paying $30 dollars (plus the extra tax) more than originally quoted when we made the reservation. She offered to give us recommendations for dinner, but then said the name of the Mexican restaurant with such a heavy accent (that she hadn't had during the rest of our interaction) that we could not understand her, and when asked to repeat she told us to just look in the black binder in the lobby. Glad we kept asking her to repeat, because the restaurant - Doña Esther- was really good, but we might have missed out on it! The fact that the room did not have an in room coffee maker was a major shock, since I don't function well in public (even the breakfast room of a hotel) without at least one cup in the morning. I can't remember ever staying at a hotel in the U.S. that didn't have in room coffee. Finally, the TV had very poor reception, and since we don't have cable at home, watching tv at night in our hotel is always a big treat for our family, yet another disappointment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank ChrisNMellB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Pablo, California
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We absolutely Enjoyed our visit at Posada de San Juan! The Staff was so friendly and professional, our room was cozy and comfortable and the light breakfast served was delicious. We will definitely stay there again! Alot of restaurants, pubs and a wonderful bakery are within walking distance and the locals are especially helpful and friendly. We went to San Juan Bautista to visit the Mission but ate and shopped in several places in town. *****Star experience!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bspeir1
Fort Bragg, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at this hotel on our way from northern California to Santa Barbara. It is a charming hotel in a quiet location within easy walking distance of some really good restaurants and Mission San Juan Bautista. We really enjoyed our stay, and will happily return if we have the chance. We travel a fair amount and found the mid-week rate of $108 a night for a spacious room with a King sized bed to be an exceptional value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John A
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel was the worst I have ever stayed in especially for $100 a night. There haven't been any upgrades since the 70"s. The 13" TV was from the 70's with cords hanging down from the wall, the lamps didn't work, the linens were soiled, the bathtub jets were moldy and shower heads all crusty with sediment deposits. Internet connection wasn't clear, the beds were all squeeky and outdated, carpet was old and the list goes on. When I asked for a discount that we were very unhappy she only gave us back $25. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. But we were tired and I didn't know any other place we could go to in that desolate area. Basically the place had never been renovated and even the owner had to come into our room to light the fireplace and start the pilot light for the fireplace. UGH UGH

Room Tip: no good rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
13 Thank titanian

Travelers are raving about these San Juan Bautista hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Looked quite good on the pics here, so we rented their best VIP room with a hot tub for about $250. Well, the outdated green carpet was really stained. The outdated old fake pink flower baskets had a thick layer of dust on them. The whole room had a green with pink vibe to it. Our “hot tub” was right next to the toilet. The fireplace didn’t work. There was an old box TV hiding in the room behind the wall patrician, for some reason it was stored in our room... The kitchenette was done in 80s and had the dirt layer to prove it. There were no matching glasses that we could use for the wine that we brought with us. Coffeemaker was so old and disgusting, that I wasn't brave enough to make coffee in it. There room “view” was at some storage building or such. The hotel and the room had good, unique bones to it, but everything is very outdated and dirty. It needs a good scrubbing, new carpets, new coffeemaker. The dust-collecting outdated fake flowers should be thrown away. Adding a mini fridge and a microwave would help as well. For the $250 that we paid, I was very disappointed. Will not go back.

Room Tip: if you have to stay int his hotel, get a cheepest room and do not expect much.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 121Traveler
Central California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I always read reviews that are negative with a wary eye. I know that there is not pleasing some people. It makes me wonder why they travel and how impeccable their own homes are? I have only written one other negative review and that was about a supposed motel in Mexico that turned out to be a converted garage. It didn't even have an indoor bathroom. I have thought twice about writing this review. I am only doing so because maybe the owners will see this review and correct the problems. This was at one time and could easily become again a really cute boutique motel that with the new restaurants and the bakery back open, would make it a wonderful weekend getaway. It would also be a great break for a traveler who is in California and has gotten tired of usual motels that are on I5..

When you first pull up to this motel, it is like you have found an oasis in the desert. From the outside, the motel looks like it is like the boutique motels that are found on the Coast. However, when you finally get into the room, after figuring out which keys operate the two dead bolts.

The place is in terrible need of a deep cleaning and at least minor refurbishing. The mattress appears to be the original ones when the motel was built. As are the linens and blankets. I must add that they are very clean. That and the nearest motel that would be any kind of an upgrade is over 10 miles away kept us in this motel for the night.

The bathroom was on the surface clean, until one started to look at the jets in the bath. They all had hair hanging out of them.Then one starts looking in the corners and they are just grimy. If we were to stay another night, which our backs could not handle because of the mattress, I would have requested that housekeeping clean the bathroom thoroughly.

Whoever wired the rooms must have really been wanting to have a joke on the expense of the occupant. To turn on the bathroom light, one has to go out of the bathroom to where the sink is. Then it was on a timer. I would not want to be relaxing in the tub and have the lights go out. Most times we leave the light in the bathroom on at night so the strange room is not pitch black. We gave up after the light over the bathroom sink went out twice!

The motel is not cheap. It was $100 for a week night. We probably should have traveled on to Monterey, but is was late and we had already drug all our stuff into the room. I remember when I was a child and we traveled. My father would always go and check out the room before he signed in. Maybe we will need to start doing that again.

This motel could upgrade their rooms for the price of one night's stay. All it needs are some minor repairs, a deep cleaning, some new bed linens and a mattress topper would fix the worn out mattresses. If they did, they might get more people staying more than one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a working fireplace. Also
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Cowboymom5856
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well most of the time a friendly ghost, keep ahold of your keys and credit cards is all I can say!
other than that, the hotel is charming, clean and the staff was incredibly friendly. I am a local, live about 20 minutes from the hotel so this was just a spontaneous overnite trip. The room was large, wonderful little gas fireplace, two person jet tub, comfy bed and the room was very clean. If you are a big tv watcher, be prepared as the tv is kinda fuzzy and not many channels but seriously, once you get here you shouldnt need tv. The town of San Juan Bautista is very quaint, great little restaurants and local bars, all within a short walk, the locals were also very nice. We plan on making this a quarterly trip just for the fun of it!!

Room Tip: Room 214 if you are the ghost hunting, adventureous type.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgemark Golf and Country Club Resort
Hollister Inn
Hollister Inn
#2 of 2 in Hollister

Been to Posada de San Juan? Share your experiences!