“Outstanding food and service ”
Review of ADEGA

ADEGA
Reserve with OpenTable
ADEGA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 2,490 Restaurants in San Jose
Description: ADEGA, meaning wine cellar, is an authentic Portuguese restaurant by a team of Michelin-trained chefs Jessica and David. Simple but elegant food is perfectly complemented by the restaurant's smart casual environment. We serve fresh fish and seafood alongside a selection of salted cod and meat dishes.
Reviewed October 23, 2018 via mobile

Memorable is the word that comes to mind. Reservations are a must. We got the 3 course menu and I cannot say enough about the presentation and flavor of each dish. We got a few additional items sent by the chef. We enjoyed a wonderful business dinner.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

Went here one night recently for a business dinner. We had the 5 course tasting menu. It was absolutely delicious. The service was wonderful as well were the cocktails. I highly recommend.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 25, 2018

We had been looking forward to dining here after the rave reviews from so many others and our celebration dinner last night exceeded our expectations on so many ways.

In short, this is an outstanding dining experience providing unique and excellent food in a unpretentious and casual atmosphere backed and supported with a kind, attentive serving staff.

My wife and I each chose from the 3 course prix fixe menus which had a wide variety of selections so that we could sample and share a variety of dishes. For appetizers, we had the charcuterie plate and the cheese plate. The meats had unique taste and complimented each other. The Portugese cheeses were very good, ranging from hard to soft from both cow and goat varieties. I had my food with their wine pairing and they provided a smooth, fruity white that seemed perfect with the cheese. The portions were very generous and each appetizer could easily be shared among 2 to 4 people.

Our mains was the seafood rice (with lobster, clams, shrimp and scallops in a tomato rice) and the rib eye steak (served on a salt slab with a spinach,ham,potato and fried egg side). We were simply blown away with the presentation and wonderful preparation and tastes. Great texture, perfectly cooked and not overwhelmed by salt and other seasonings. Again, with all the other food, the main dishes were too large to finish (but they thoughtfully packed them away for us to take home).

Lastly, the ordered desserts were the peach creme brulee and the assorted "convent" sweets. Although they were unique and sweet, the taste didn't seem to be overly sugared so we could taste many of the flavors throughout.

The restaurant provides an overwhelming number of complimentary amuse bouches throughout the meal which not only added to the enjoyment and surprise throughout the meal, but they helped pace us throughout. House-prepared breads with samplings of bread, olives in garlic sauce, and humus, a wonderful gazpacho, sausage puffs and sardine pate, lemon meringue tart, and a final assortment of jellied sweets. Each of these seemed to hold up well to the dishes we ordered and we savored them.

I could go on and on about the service but simply said, we thought the service staff was friendly, attentive, professional, and helped so much with the relaxed atmosphere. I had the wine pairing for my meal and the wines were all good, interesting and went well with the dishes.

We will always remember the experience and plan for a return visit.

Recommend you consider this restaurant and make reservations via Open Table. Street parking only, so either use their valet service (we didn't see it on the night we visited) or plan to come early to find a parking spot a few streets away.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 11, 2018

Our group of 4 ordered the Chef’s Tasting menu – 7 courses. I was pleasantly surprised when they said we did not all have to order the same menu – nice to know you have that option. The restaurant has a more casual, relaxed feel. Business casual was definitely appropriate.

The food was full of fresh ingredients and was served beautifully plated. Some of the plates we enjoyed, some we did not care for. As you would expect, the courses were on the smaller side but everyone, including 2 twenty-something young men, agreed they had enough food by the time we were finished. Service was ok but not what I would expect from a Michelin starred restaurant (e.g. they did not ask if we wanted coffee or tea towards the end of the meal – I assume they served it?).

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

My husband reserved a table for two for my birthday. I fell ill a few days prior and so we had to cancel. We cancelled through open table and a message came up telling us we also had to cancel by calling the place directly. We did that as well and we were still charged $100 and never got our gift cards.

Not very customer service friendly.

We will not be giving them any more of our money.

Date of visit: April 2018