“One of few Spanish Restaurants in the Bay Area”
Review of ADEGA

ADEGA
Reserve with OpenTable
ADEGA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 2,490 Restaurants in San Jose
Description: ADEGA, meaning wine cellar, is an authentic Portuguese restaurant by a team of Michelin-trained chefs Jessica and David. Simple but elegant food is perfectly complemented by the restaurant's smart casual environment. We serve fresh fish and seafood alongside a selection of salted cod and meat dishes.
Reviewed February 24, 2018

Adega is a Michelin rated restaurant that features Portuguese cuisine. The food is good but we expected a “wow” factor considering the Michelin rating. We started with the Octopus salad which was a disappointment in that the octopus, which was “mushy (overcooked?)” and chopped into small pieces “poki” like. Also had the cod fish cakes which were a little salty but tasty.
For the main course, we had the seafood rice and this was pretty good but did not “wow” the taste buds. We also had the rib eye steak which also was quite good.
For dessert, we had the baked apple with St. Jorge cheese ice cream. The apple was good but the cheese ice cream was different. We didn’t really know what to expect with this. We also had the Ovos Conventuais which was very good.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed February 21, 2018

there's really no reason that I shouldn't try out this place, it's Michelin 1-star, it's 10min drive away from my place, and Portuguese is known for good seafood dishes...then I left the restaurant disappointed

I'm not so sure what dish got them the star and I must not have ordered that dish.

anything complimentary tasted straight out weird; starter was nothing special; we ordered oven roasted octopus and seafood rice for entrees, the octopus was done right, it's tender enough but I wished there's more char to it, seafood rice was very creamy and bland, it did have reasonable amount of seafood in it though; again, dessert was fine, but nothing special

service was good until they got way busier later the night when all the groups showed up; the price was relatively lower than I expected but if it's any higher my rating would go even lower

nothing's memorable about this place

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed February 3, 2018

It was my first visit to this Portuguese restaurant. The experience was excellent- great service, very nice ambiance with lovely Portuguese music at a muted level.In addition to the ordered dishes, there were amuse bouches and palate cleansers adding to the enjoyment of the evening. All desserts were excellent- the one ordered and the two small freebies, the lemon tartlet being the best. Would have given the restaurant 5*, but some of the dishes lacked in spiciness and texture.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 27, 2018

Everything was delicious. Pea soup and the lemon mousse were unforgettable. Servers are very attentive. You get your empty plate picked up within 30s of being done, seriously. I think portion is on the bigger side, or I have a smaller tummy, because I left the restaurant feeling way too full. May swing by again the next time I'm in San Jose, definitely Michelin worthy :)

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed January 3, 2018

The meal was excellent. We shared a duck confit rice and an octopus dish and the duck rice was so tasty, it basically melts in your mouth. The octopus as so crunchy and it was the best octopus dish I have ever had. I normally are not crazy about octopus, but my partner ordered it and it was surprisingly good. The Maca Asada souffle was out of this world.
The decor of the restaurant was very simple and elegant, and the wait staff very pleasant and attentive. However, the neighborhood is not somewhere I would normally linger around.

Date of visit: December 2017