“Great BEER and great vegetarian fare”

Good Karma Vegan Cafe
Order Online
Ranked #30 of 2,545 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed January 11, 2017

I can't say enough good things about this place.

NOTE THE NEW NAME: "Good Karma Artisan Ales and Cafe" More emphasis on the beer, less on the "vegan". This place is getting a great reputation for quality beers in San Jose.

Let me start with the staff. Super friendly. Happy to encourage you toward the best food on the menu and away from boring beers.

Next, this is a great place for an awesome beer. Lots on tap. They carry Pliney the Elder, but will steer you toward other unique tastes. Fresh beers on tap with a rotating collection. Wide variety of bottles. Don't come here for a Bud Light or Coors. But if you want to explore variety a bit, this is the place. Definitely ask for the bartender's recommendation - they aren't afraid to make suggestions and give tastes.

Last in order, but certainly not in quality, is the food. All vegetarian, but healthy vegetarian. No "mock" this or that, no turfurkey. Good rice dishes, bean dishes. Very eastern in flavors. I can't think of a bad dish on the menu. And it is very affordable - one item is $6.50, two are $9.50 and three are $11.50. That's a very full plate... enough for two really.

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed November 24, 2016 via mobile

We went because the food looked good online, the price was right, but mainly to revisit the hippie – vibe of the 60s that we so fondly remembered. Well, these "millennial hippies "are nothing like my generation used to be. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just found it disappointing because I was hoping for a more interesting group and atmosphere. Instead, it seemed like a hang out for loud, "cool "20 – somethings. It was too loud to even sit inside and have a conversation. Luckily, there were two small tables outside, and we nabbed one. Even though it was pretty cold outside, the atmosphere was much more interesting and calm. Outside, we watched people sweeping the sidewalks and interesting characters walking by. The four stars are given because the food was very good and reasonably priced.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed October 17, 2016

A nice little place to grab a beer and a bite to eat. They have different beer on tap that changes every so often while providing a vegan menu.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed August 16, 2016

The line was quite long but it was worth it. I had a Belgian beer and Yellow Thai Curry w/ rice ($7.50). I loved curry! It was good portion and reasonable. Beer went well with spicy curry. Service was great. I became a fan of them.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed July 20, 2016

I'm a meat eater. I'd rather have vegan food that does not have faux meat in it. I understand why vegans might want that. Meal was satisfying, but I simply struggled with the texture of the "vegetarian protein" in the Chile Verde. Channa Masala was good.

Date of visit: July 2016