“Slow service, just OK food; pass on this one”

Castillos Restaurant
Ranked #268 of 2,321 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We ending up eating breakfast here on a Saturday because the line at Bill's Cafe was long and this place was pretty empty. It was our first time here. The menu looked good and we were quickly seated and ordered. However, we waited nearly 30 minutes for our food. The place was not crowded and they had several servers. A large group came in after us and got their food before us (perhaps because they were regulars?)! My food was very hot (an egg dish) and my husband's was cold (a burrito). The burrito was very disappointing- all beans and no flavor. My eggs were fine, but they included potatoes that were dry and flavorless. They should leave them off the plate next time! I think the only good thing we can say is that the salsa was good.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

y two friends and I went there just a few days ago when it was just too hot to cook. We were greeted promptly and seated immediately as we had beat the rush. I had a beer, she had a soft drink and he had a wine margarita as they do not have a full liquor license. Chips and salsa came quickly and I took note of the daily specials and chose to order the flautas plate.
Great choice as they came out very very hot fresh from the kitchen; everyone's food was hot, savory, and delicious. We were all satisfied, full and mellow when we left. The noise level and speedy aggravation of the local chain restaurant was a distant memory; yummy Mexican and super sweet atmosphere.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I recently visited Castillo's for the third time and have found a delightful consistency in the quality of the food and the attentive service.

It is a neighborhood restaurant that is considerably better than so many others with an extensive menu of Mexican dishes (including the incomparable Fish Veracruz) and a willingness to prepare food to meet the dietary needs of customers.

Oh, and one Sunday while having brunch, a Mariachi Band was strolling around the restaurant playing unobtrusively while accepting requests for favorites...a really nice touch for a restaurant this size.

The servings have always been well prepared, served hot and more than adequate in size, the chips and salsa outstanding and the cost quite reasonable.

Maybe one day I will see you there?

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I had the shrimp salad. It was pretty good. Very clean place with a well trained staff. Sit anywhere you want. The chips were ok but the salsa was very good and they brought more when I ran out.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Typical Mexican food menu with excellent service and quality. Not one of our favorites for Mexican seasoning, but might just be a matter of regional specialties. We'll be back for sure.