“Mind blowing, mouth burning seafood!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Boiling Crab
Ranked #110 of 2,143 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Mind blowing, mouth burning seafood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The first time I was taken here, the queue went right outside and round the corner of the restaurant as they do not take reservations. So we went somewhere else to eat instead. This time when I went back to the US, my nephew took me again and there was no queue but we still had to wait just over 1.5hours to get a table. I must say, it was well worth the wait. This place is an easy going and relaxed restaurant buzzing with people. Tables are laid with disposable table clothes, food served in big plastic bags, so after you've eaten, all they do is wrap up the table cloth and dump it. Why? cos it's messy and that's why they also give you bibs and you really do need a bib. The prawns, crabs, crawfish are all served in an extremely fiery hot and spicy sauce guarantee to blow your mouth apart! I have not eaten anything so delicious in a such a spicy sauce before. This is a great Southern style restaurant which I've been missing. I think you guys should open up a branch in London!!! Next time I'm back, it'll be order to take away......

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru, India
“A seafood lovers delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Brilliant and a real experience. The food here is delish and what gastronomical portions!!!

We ordered the king crab legs and the shrimp in garlic butter sauce. We also had a plate of fried cat fish and prawn. Need I say more? It was mouth smacking!

The whole place provides its visitors with a one of a kind experience that they will never forget.

You might want to go early to get a table. They don't take reservations and one can end up waiting almost 2 hrs for a table. Don't be discouraged, however long the wait time- it's TOTALLY worth it!

Visited June 2012
California
“Messy but good messy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

The server rips a paper mat from a dispenser and covers the entire surface area of your table. You order the seafood of your choice. Sauce of choice? Spicy? Mild? Sides? Drink? They place a bunch of limes and small containers of salt & pepper on the table. Then dump your seafood order on the table in a cellophane bag which you will eagerly open and sloppilly begin to consume the contents of the bag like cookie monster. It's so good! Yum! Yum! Yum! No plates, no utensils.Don't forget to put on the bib. We had Dungaree Crab & Shrimp with Cajun Sauce and Sweet potato fries. Yum! And please wash your filthy hands after the meal. And speaking of filthy hands, management should consider swinging doors for the washrooms or putting sinks outside the toilets for hygeinic purposes. Those bathroom door handles look really funky. It's a health issue waiting to happen. Other than that, a fun dining experience. No reservations though so there is often a bit of a wait.

• Visited June 2012
Hayward, California
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I love this place! I always over eat. =/

Great food! Yummy shrimp and corn. Spicy & Garlicky...just the way I like it! Cajun fries that compliment the food well.

A little slow service, but that's because they are always packed!

Be prepared to wait 1 - 2 Hours to get a table!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
California
“Hands on...pretty good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

So I have to admit I was a little skeptical about this place when i was told our food comes in a bag and we have to eat with our hands. We had ordered 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp for 3 people. That sure wasn't enough so we had to order another lb. We ordered the shrimp with garlic and butter, with a mild spice...it was soooo good!!!! Of course when I got over the fact that I had to rip off the shrimp head....LOL. The atmosphere was really good. Lots of people, so you may have to wait awhile. We got there a around 4 pm and had a 20 min wait, but I've heard you can wait up to and hour or more. The servers had a great attitude but we did have a little bit of wait. Overall, I would go back...great food!