“Great food despite appearances”
Review of Race Street Seafood Kitchen - CLOSED

Race Street Seafood Kitchen
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Race Street Kitchen doesn't look much from the outside but the food makes it worth visiting. We ordered Soft Shell Crab (Yummy), Lobster Tail, Filet Mignon (Surprisingly good for a fish place), Onion Rings and Coleslaw. There was just so much food and all cooked perfectly - we left feeling very full and content. Would definitely recommend for a casual fish dinner.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is my go to for my seafood fix this side of the summit. Growing up in Santa Cruz you have so many choices for seafood. On this side of the hill this is the only real choice in my book. I have tried some others and this is the one. I usually get the fish, prawn and oyster combo here. The oysters are cooked right. The shrimp is tender and sweet and the fish is moist and flaky. Yes it is a little greasy of course as it is all deep fried. If you are watching your weight or your complexion, cholesterol, arteries or anything like that then this isn't the place for you.........wait wait....just kidding, they also have grilled items here. So whether you are health conscious or not and you want some great seafood, I would make it a point to stop by and check this place out. it's the next best thing to being at the ocean. Great seafood cooked right with a fresh taste. Prices are average and parking can get crowded at times.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Race Street does the best Fish & Chips in the bay area. Simple menu, basic cooking approaches (grilled, deep fried), and cafeteria style service (aka mostly your own), but really, really well done fish.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Got the lunch special w/ salad and fries. The fish was delicious. Can eat outside or inside. Always busy w/ great turnover. Next time give this a try for your seafood needs. You can't go wrong.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is not a fancy seafood restaurant, it's more like a "diners and dives" cafeteria, but it is clean, well lit, and organized. The atmosphere is tables in the center of a fishmonger/butcher shop. The fresh fish is beautiful, and reasonably priced. I paid $8 for a lobster tail on a recent visit. The tail was cooked outside on a grill seconds after I ordered it. My soft shell crab was about $6; freshly battered in front of me and deep fried ight there. The employees let my young children watch them grill the food, and even exchanged stories about fish with them. They are friendly and helpful. I took some scallops home for later, and I'm pleased to report they were fresh, with no fishy smell. I enjoyed this diner much more than the more upscale seafood places I've been to, and the prices were about 50% of what I'd have paid elsewhere. I'll be back for all my holiday seafood shopping!