“really creative food”

Ranked #157 of 2,169 Restaurants in San Jose
cleve.
“really creative food”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We found this from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. It was fabulous.

You order at a counter and they bring the food out to picnic tables in the back. It is uber casual.

I had a sunchoke and cauliflower soup- crazy good. I had the grilled veggie salad which was also delicious, as was the asparagus and fennel.

Dinner for two with beer was just over $30. Incredible for this kind of food.

Denver
“Great food and atmosphere in the heart of San Jose”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great food in a funky/cool atmosphere. Saw the Garage on Triple D and had to check it out, glad we did! Set in the downtown neighborhood of Naglee Park, this restaurant is located in an old house with plenty of outdoor patio seating in the back with long community type picnic tables. When we arrived around 9:00 pm on a Friday night the line was out the door, but moving fast. You order from the counter, so you need to grab a menu and figure out what you want while standing in line. We sat inside at a small table right next to the grill/bar area, and had a drink while waiting for our food. Relatively short wait considering how busy they were, about 10 minutes.

I had the Angus burger with goat cheese and caramelized onion on a soft poppy seed & onion bun. This burger was unbelievably good. Now I have to admit I am a burger fanatic, and always go with a classically dressed burger (lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard) always cooked to a medium rare temperature. The flavor of the Angus beef, goat cheese, and onion were a perfect match. Though next time I would try the Swiss cheese in place of the goat cheese. The home fries are amazing, thick wedges fried to a crispy outside with tender inside, and served with great homemade ketchup.

My wife had the maple lacquered half chicken with fresh vegetables. The flavor was fantastic and the chicken was cooked perfectly.

A definite must if you are in the San Jose area. And if you love a great hamburger, it is worth making the trip to San Jose just for that incredible Angus burger.

Midwest, USA
“You would never guess just driving by...”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

...that you just passed a unique and delicious dining experience! (It sounds like Bernadette G. below and I had the same idea as we were there on the same day!) I found the restaurant online at TV Food Maps, but it was only after I came back to the hotel that I watched the video on that website. I was shocked that the only thing they demonstrated was the burger and brussel sprouts! To me, the experience was much more sophisticated than that, and relatively speaking.

To summarize my first visit experience succinctly: "There is a lot of love that goes into the food here." I had Mussels in white wine broth with grilled bread. It looked to be temporary as it is on the "Extended Menu". I also had a small grilled vegetable salad. My work associate had the parsley pan roasted trout and also the same salad.

The mussels were large and meaty - cooked to perfect tenderness. The broth was perfect. I can now say that I will be adding a little spinach to my mussels broth at home in the future! The salad was unique with a strong balsamic vinaigrette countered by creamy goat cheese. It really was a great, casual meal. I know I'll be coming here again when I travel to this area.

The small band was a nice addition as 98% of the seating is outdoors. It's basically like a counter-service restaurant as you wait in line to put an order in and then go and sit. Seating didn't seem like a big issue, but I can imagine it might be if people want to see a particular band or if the food comes out too slowly. When I was there, people got up and left in just the right amount of time when people needed to find a seat.

I wouldn't suggest this as a place to bring 6-8 people as it is that small - but maybe if you come early. Kids definitely wouldn't appreciate the food or experience as much as adults. I would consider it a laid back couples restaurant, but maybe not as a first date. With the balsamic dressing on my salad, I had a little problem with flies, but it didn't stop me from enjoying myself thoroughly.

Try this place!

Redwood City, California
“"Great Food and lovely atmosphere"”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was our first time here. We initially drove by and there looked to be about 15 people in a line out the door on a Wednesday evening around 8:15PM. We had luck parking so we decided to stay and eat. The menu choices were appealing. We decided to share the half chicken and side of brussel sprouts between the two of us. It was plenty! The brussel sprouts were amazingly fresh, tender and full of flavor. The chicken was extremely moist and delicious. There was a small band playing music in the courtyard which only added to the charm and aviance of this place. We shared the chocolate bread pudding for our dessert which was nicely done, not dry. Service was very friendly. Very relaxing! We plan to come back.

Visited July 2012
N. California
“Love this Place”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm giving it 4 instead of 5 stars because of breakfast. Dinner gets 5 stars for what it is: a neighborhood restaurant that serves up awesome food. Burgers, ribs, tri tip sandwiches, fries...you can't go wrong. The staff is super friendly and you get the neighborly vibe. We ate breakfast there last weekend and the food was really just ok. The French Toast was too sweet and I love sweet, and the egg bake was too bland on the egg, if you’re looking for breakfast go to Bill’s, if you’re looking for a casual dinner, go here.