El Amigo
Ranked #1,141 of 2,214 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This restaurant is very good. It has great atmosphere, the service is excellent, and the food is very good, and their prices are very reasonable - and they have a great Sunday Brunch - I go about once a week. I love their Chile Colorado.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

This is a good place to eat Mexican food with a good value for dollar. The staff was quick and friendly. The "chicken mole" was very good.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Always good. Great salsa. I always have the huevos ranchera with a tamale on the side. I love the guacamole. The El Amigo Burrito is a belly buster!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Reading through the other reviews, I am simply stunned at the high scores given by the other reviewers. Simply put, my family and I thought this place was terrible.

Granted, it's a strip mall Mexican place, so expectations shouldn't be that high. However, we've eaten at these type places all across the country and generally found them to have solid, hearty food for a good price. Nothing about El Amigo even remotely delivered a sense of food quality, taste or service.

We had a large party of 8 for lunch the other day, and to a man, no one was satisfied with their food. El Amigo couldn't even deliver a decent chips and salsa, as the salsa was watery and tasteless, and the chips were stale. Next, El Amigo brought out a salad that was standard with most of the meals we ordered. This "salad" was basically dumped on a plate from a bagged salad mix with some bottled dressing mixed in. The salad was not only an odd menu item to begin with, but poorly executed and not remotely palatable.

Now for the entrees:

I ordered the carnitas, which essentially consisted of a flavorless pork chop cooked on a flat top and served with equally flavorless rice and refried beans, both of which looked like they were prepared well earlier than the day they were actually served to us. My wife ordered the carne asada, and it too was a bland, tough, flavorless slab of meat served with the same tasteless rice and beans.

Another member of our party ordered the fajitas, which were about 90% onions and peppers and 10% meat. When this person complained that most of the fajitas were burned, the waitress mumbled something we couldn't understand and didn't even remove this from the bill. Others in the party ordered ceviche and the chile Colorado, which were passable dishes but nothing special. In the end we all just wanted to get out of there and write this off as a miserable mistake of a lunch choice.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is the place to go if you are looking for authentic great tasting Mexican food! We have been coming to this restaurant for many years and it always pleases. With so many dishes to choose from you can have more than one favorite dish! They also have another restaurant in Morgan Hill that has the same fresh tasting food!

Been to El Amigo? Share your experiences!