“Very comfortable bedding, made for a wondeful stay!”

Wyndham Garden San Jose Airport
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Very comfortable bedding, made for a wondeful stay!”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The clarion is a nice hotel close to the airport and very convenient. The mattress and pillows are so comfortable you feel like you are sinking into the bed. When we got back home we immediately went out and purchased a new mattress because staying at the Clarion made us realize how uncomfortable and hard our mattress was! It is great to have a free, hot breakfast every morning, also.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I discovered this hidden gem thanks to my friend's recommendation. It is more like a resort. It was Hawaii in San Jose! The best part for me was the blazing internet. I loved the service and excellent food in their Island Grill restaurant. The happy hour was great with free appetizers in the bar, I think it is called Bamboo lounge!
Rooms are so large and I got a double for the price of a single bed! I love spreading my things to be ready the next day on the other bed. Cleanliness was exceptional. The room smelled like fresh air. No stuffy multistory building to navigate. More like a beautiful courtyard. The pool is the best .My kids would not come out. The unexpected free hot breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon, hash browns,cereals pastries, croissants and many varieties of fruits is incredible value.
The price is half of the hotels around it..The patio is where I met with my relatives and they really liked it.They need to market more .More like a hidden gem!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I had booked three rooms at this hotel for our group to have an overnight stay to break up a drive down to Los Angeles. In view of previous reviews I was not expecting to be impressed but our time here turned out to be an unexpected pleasure – may be some refurbishment/improvement has taken place… I’m not sure. The public areas of the hotel looked smart and our room was spacious, clean and well equipped. We arrived early afternoon and spent some time relaxing in the pool area which was nicely laid out with towels provided. There did not appear to be many dining options in the immediate area of the hotel so opted to use the hotel restaurant. This seemed to be very quiet for a Saturday night and we received excellent service and good food for a very reasonable cost. One of our party complained that there was a lot of noise in the early hours of the morning as there appeared to have been live music in the bar some time after we had finished our meal and there was a lot of car door slamming going on – however, my room faced the pool area rather than the car park so I was not disturbed. The following morning we had the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant, which had a good choice of food and set us up for our drive South. In my view this hotel represented very good value for money with none of the problems reported in previous reviews I felt very safe staying there and would use it again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
TodVogelsang
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife’s family lives in the Sunnyvale area, and we make the trip out here twice a year. The last several trips we have chosen to stay at the Clarion for several reasons. First, the price. As far as local hotels go, the price is by far a deal with all the benefits the property provides. We also belong to the Chioce Hotels rewards program so we get at least a night or two at no charge. The rates run in the $70-90 range. Let's start with the pool! It's large as far as the local hotels go, and has a big shallow area for the kids. The kids love this pool. The pool area is also large and the many tables all have umbrellas that provide plenty of shade. There is also a small putt-putt area the kids enjoy next to the pool. There is an excellent restaurant on site that has all the normal American fare with a splash of local taste. The bar is always full, it's a local hangout, which means the food and drink are good. If you like Mohitos, you will love this bar! They make the best I've ever had, and all our drinks were well supplied if you know what I mean. The free breakfast is hot eggs, sausage, pancakes, potatoes, ECT... very good. It's served in the restaurant buffet style. We had family fly in from Japan for our most recent visit. They had booked rooms at the Airport Hilton, but after coming over to visit us, checked out of the Hilton and came over to the Clarion. They thought the rooms were larger, nicer, at less than half the price. I think the pool and the breakfast was the big seller for them though. The hotel staff is very tentative and professional. I went up to the front desk to ask if they would warm up a loaf of bread for me, and within 3 min, they had housekeeping deliver a microwave to our room.

I entitled this review as "Transition Period" because many of the familiar faces we've come to know are gone. The hotel was sold in the past year, and almost all of the old managers are gone. We and the rest of our family had issues with check in, wrong rooms, mix ups, that sort of thing. The first room we were given, when we walked in there were people in the shower. LOL. The staff seemed to be confused at times. The only real disappointment though was the parking situation. We never noticed an issue before, but parking was very hard to come by. Apparently they have some sort of park n ride program, where people park their cars in the hotel lot, and take the shuttle to the airport. Well we continually had to park at the other end of the hotel because the lot was 99% full. One morning we got up and they had parked cars right up against our car doors! We had to get in from the passenger side, and crawl across the front seat to pull out. You can tell the park and ride vehicles from the hotel guests by the type of parking pass in the window. The parking situation really didn't bother me, I figured I need the exercise, but it really pissed off my wife. LOL. I've seen where a change in hotel management can really affect a property. I've been spending 90-100 nights a year in hotels for the past 17 yrs. I'm hoping this property doesn't go down hill. Time will tell.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Gilroy, California
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I have been using the Clarion San Jose Park and Fly services roughly 6 times in our travels. They have good rates and are close to the airport. Half the time they were reasonably prompt on pickup at the airport. Shuttles run every half hour so if you call for a pickup a little after the hour or half hour don't expect to see anyone until 20 or 25 minutes. Lately though we have noticed the shuttle service quality has diminished. Last few times we have been experiencing 1 hour or more wait for pickup at airport. Yet the hotel is only a 5 minute drive away! My recommendation and reason for the review is to let everyone know, who may want to use their shuttle service, is to call the front desk at least 3 times to hammer in their minds that people need pickup. Or else, they (Victoria was her name) DO and will forget.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Round Rock
Reviewed July 5, 2010

It seemed to be the only nearby hotel which did not circle the Airport for pick-ups. It was a $24 taxi ride for me, making the value less than stellar. Going to the airport on my return was no problem except for the wait for the hotel staff to put 3 quarts of oil into the engine!

The free internet is not secured for hotel guests....Open to anyone out on the street.

The room was large, convenient, clean, and comfortable. The desk clerks were hurried, and not exactly welcoming.

My dinner in their restaurant was fabulous. The waiter put the front desk to shame.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Like a previous reviewer stated, the term "motel" would be flattery. This is a no-frills, bare bones establishment.
I had no choice but to stay at Clarion Hotel because all of the hotels in downtown San Jose were sold out due to a convention. Things were wrong from the get go. At the time of check-in, I was told that their systems were down and that I'd have to wait. The check-in process was painfully long, with repeated interruptions from other guests asking the front desk for breakfast vouchers.
The room itself was clean, albeit a bit worn and dated. But what irked me the most is the NOISE. At all hours of the day, there are noisy people walking, talking, and doing some general loitering. I mean, seriously? At least they can put in some soundproofing windows! This all made for a lousy night's sleep and a less than productive business meeting the following day.
Bottom line: don't stay here unless every other hotel in the San Jose airport or downtown area is sold out. Even then, you might want to reconsider staying here, if my experience is any indication.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business