Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Nice, Normal, Small”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The industrial garages nearby put me off a bit at first, but once I got used to the neighborhood, I was fine. The place is small but adequate, the staff pleasant and accommodating. The pool is small and clean with a nice but way too tepid hot tub spa. Turn it up a few degrees, please. 3 blocks west is the light rail line on 1st St. For fun I rode the streetcar, I mean light rail line, downtown for lunch at a street cafe, and back. I enjoyed my stay here. Would have stayed another day but rates magically mysteriously changed so I moved on.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Harry C
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, July 15, 2014

We do hope that the next time you are in the San Jose area, you do come can stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barstow, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Arrived a day early for a family gathering and just needed a place to stay for the night. I found this property on tripadvisor and figured it was perfect for what I needed. Close to Japantown and downtown, yet far away from any tourist area. Since I am an IHG member, I was given an upgrade, which I appreciated.

Really great room with a small ktichenette. Large bathroom and nice desk set-up. The bed was comfortable and it was a welcomed place to sleep when I returned for the night. The breakfast room was large and had some ample offerings. I just grabbed what I needed and brought it all up to the room. The only thing negative thing I can say was when a housekeeper tried to enter my room. Luckily I had the secure lock on or she would've walked in on me changing. She meant to go to the room next door, but it was no biggie, just startled me.

I don't make it up this way as often as before, but I would definitely stay here again. Especially since all the downtown hotels charge so much for the rooms and the parking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank heuster3
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Express San Jose International Airport. We are glad that everything went well with your stay and that we were able to provide good service. We will work with our housekeeping staff on the issue that you mentioned.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This hotel really impressed me. The staff and the rooms are very nice. The rooms are very well appointed. Would definitely stay here on my next visit to San Jose. The value for the price was superb. By mistake I stopped at the Holiday Inn (not Express) around the corner and although the other facility was much bigger, the staff was not as nice and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank snshn3
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, June 16, 2014

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I recently booked six rooms for myself and my employees who were coming into the states from outside the country. A few days later I received a phone call from Tony Hill, the hotel manager. He was checking to see if we needed anything further than the reservation. I asked him a few questions and he was very helpful. He told us we could ask for him if we had any further questions. He really went above and beyond what you would expect from a manager.

The property was perfect for our business travel. The breakfast was hot, the pool was sparkling clean, the beds were comfortable and the WiFi was fast. The staff was friendly with our out of the country guests. Everything went smoothly. Our company will be staying here every time we visit the area. I would highly suggest this hotel when visiting Silicon Valley.

Thank you for making the stay happily memorable. See you next year.

Room Tip: Each room was equally quiet.
Green Features: IHG hotels are ahead of the competition in their green practices.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Actually3
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport. Your business and satisfaction is very important to us. We do hope that the next time you are in San Jose that you do stay with us again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Pros: very comfortable, soft beds, free breakfast including items I like such as soy milk (1 of the 3 days) bagels, peanut butter, cereals, several vegan options. Close to the light rail train to downtown. Adequate gym including 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a bike and a weight machine. Pool and sauna, lots of free parking. Good water pressure in shower.
Cons: rooms are not too attractive. My favorite cable TV station was available, but no signal for most of the time I was watching. Building is a confusing labyrinth, but there are signs to direct you to lobby, etc. not too much in the immediate area.
I can't comment on the value as my organization booked it, I don't know what the rate was.

Green Features: I'd like to see less plastic and paper at breakfast. Maybe real dishes and silverware.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Merris W
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Manassas Park, Virginia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in last month for business. Found reasonable prices here compared to locations nearer to my business. The location is not that great, but parking lot felt safe to me and I did have a car to run around. Remodeling seemed done in the part of the hotel (which is an interesting labyrinth of rooms, corridors, courtyard) where I was on 2nd floor. Room was clean, updated furniture and bathroom. Fridge & microwave in room; several new machines in fitness room. Breakfast area was clean, food was standard Holiday Inn Express, ample, and hot.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank dougar
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The online photos are not what I saw. The rooms are in the process of being remodeled and even the new stuff looks old. The chairs look like they are from the 70s, dirty and worn out.

What was even worse was the staff. I called to check on the safety of the hotel and they told me they could not tell me anything on the phone. I would have to come to the hotel first. The manager also told me no hotel was safe and they could not advise on safety.

The facilities are dingy and dark with POOR service. Would recommend staying somewhere else. Management tried to have this post removed rather than addressing the issues. I also call Holiday Inn to report the problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank AllSeven7Continents
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you once again for notifying us that we are under renovation. We do notify our guests that certain areas of the hotel is under renovation during their stay.We do not place guests in areas that are being renovated. Regarding your safety concern, we did notify you that we do have a security guard BUT how safe a person feels is still up to the individual and his or her actions.

We did notify both TripAdvisor and IHG Customer Care regarding your review. Since you were not a paying guest and did not stay on our property, they decided to remove your previous review.