“nice stay in san jose”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here a couple weeks ago for work, very nice hotel. The rooms were large very spacious. The staff was excellent and very informative. I always try and either get a hotel with a work out area or by a nice gym, this one suprised me that they havesome rather good cable weights and 2 modern tread mills. I will definately stay here agian if I am working in the area

Room Tip: There is lots of places to eat just down the street. The Mexican restuarant at the corner is excelle...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service and your accommodation needs were met. We are continuously trying to improve both are quality and service. We are glad you were able to see the improvements being made.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of you having stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Traveling for business is never fun but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The rooms were a decent size and had a small, separate area which contained a desk. The fridge was a little bigger than the normal "room size" fridge. The beds (and pillows) were comforatble, the AC and heat worked great, and everything was clean.

The breakfast was good and had a decent selection. The breakfast area was well staffed and they ensured one didnt run out of anything. They even offered you trays if you were trying to bring food back to the room

I would definately stay here again, matter of fact, I did!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are glad that you had a great stay and that our staff was able to be of help to you.

Thank you very much for the recommendation and we hope you come back and stay with us soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our relationship with this chain has been a good one. If you are okay being off the beaten track, this is your spot. San Jose is a very easy city to navigate. We selected Holiday Inn Express & Suites because of it's offsite location and proximity to the freeway. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. My husband broke his hip about a month before and needed a shower chair. No problem! During our stay, a construction crew consisting of painters, was hard at work. The transformation was obvious by our checkout the following day.

Room Tip: Before having a room selected, look at the map of the hotel. It twists and turns. I really liked the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here at the end of January 2013 on a business trip, arriving rather late. I am used to quite a bit when it comes to rooms (travel well over 150 nights per year, around the world), but this room/night has actually prompted my first review and complaint.

Thanks to my status, I was cheerfully given an upgrade to a "suite" on the third floor (323 I believe) - nice sized bed, little kitchenette sitting area with fridge, microwave, etc. Decent sized bathroom. First thing noticeable was the smell. I'm thinking staff hadn't opened a window or aired the room in a few weeks. Given the amount of dust I stirred up entering, this is probably an accurate assumption.

The carpet was clearly old - stained in many spots and worn down to the fibres (and enough holes). The inside of the fridge was yellowing, the glasses in the cupboard (wait for it) weren't properly rinsed. I would put the age of everything in there at having started its life in the 80s if I'm being generous.

The cupboard doors themselves were broken, half of them were missing the bottom hinges, so they just sagged down. It gets better, though - inside the cupboards on the top shelves was a little surprise - they were full of mouse feces; little pellets everywhere. Another reason to make a wide berth around any dishes and cups in there. Thankfully there were paper cups in plastic wrapping.

The bed was nice and big, but the bedsheets had several tears in them. The bed looked clean, but given the rest of the room, I didn't exactly trust it.

Further difficulties: the phone wasn't functional, the curtain (light blocking one) had holes/tears in it and the couch was stained and very dusty.

The experience was one of a handful of hotel rooms I've been in, where I wouldn't take off my shoes, and slept on the bed fully clothed.

I didn't ask for another room, mainly because it was already extremely late (actually early) and I only had 4 1/2 hours to sleep anyway. That and I didn't believe they would have a much better room within a decent amount of time anyway.

As far as location goes; it's not the best, there isn't too much around other than a bar attached to another hotel across the street. But it's close to the airport and has a shuttle service, and the room rates were decent around $100.

On the positive side, the bathroom wasn't too bad compared to the rest of the room, very minor issues with mold (but that happens in most hotels), the towels were clean; soaps and shampoo, etc nicely packaged. Staff was quite friendly at check-in and check-out; the shuttle driver was very nice.

However, I clearly would NOT recommend this hotel until some serious renovations are done. At least to the "suite" I was in...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 13Mark13
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service. We will use the comments that you have provided us with to improve our quality.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is in line with all Holiday Inn Express in the bay area, clean, basic, comfortable and good value.

Compared to other HIE in the area though, the reception area was bigger and more imposing!

Helpful staff and good basic breakfast included.

It has a large parking surrounding the hotel, very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AGall0
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service and your accommodation needs were met. We hope that we will have the pleasure of having stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is very basic, like any other Holiday Inn express. The front desk staff was excellent. A lady named Ruth served us and she was great. She gave us a very good deal on the room and was very helpful and forthcoming with providing information about the city and places to eat around the hotel. She was very charming and a delight.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and basic. wifi is free, and the hotel has a laundrette which was helpful. Breakfast was adequate and included in the room price.

Overall stay was pleasant and comfortable.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that Ruth was able to help you with your needs. We do hope that you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here once in November 2012. I accidentally booked a smoking room and the stench was overwhelming. But that was my fault, not the hotel's. It was only one night so I put up with it. The room was Ok but the bathroom needed renovation, peeling wall paper, old fixtures. The TV was placed so that it can only be viewed from the bed. I don't like to watch TV in bed so that was an inconvenience. The neighborhood was a little dicey, every third business was a bail bond place. It made me think that the city jail must be nearby but I didn't see any questionable characters on the streets. It is very close to the airport but there were no problems with noise. I'm not sure I'd pick this place again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

We want to thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments and will use your input to improve upon our property. We are located in a mostly commercial/warehouse area along with other airport hotels.

We do hope that if you are in the area, please do stay with us again. If you do make a reservation with us, you can call us to confirm the room type, we will be more than happy to switch you to a type that fits your needs.