“Anything but sanitary...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Anything but sanitary...”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here at the end of January 2013 on a business trip, arriving rather late. I am used to quite a bit when it comes to rooms (travel well over 150 nights per year, around the world), but this room/night has actually prompted my first review and complaint.

Thanks to my status, I was cheerfully given an upgrade to a "suite" on the third floor (323 I believe) - nice sized bed, little kitchenette sitting area with fridge, microwave, etc. Decent sized bathroom. First thing noticeable was the smell. I'm thinking staff hadn't opened a window or aired the room in a few weeks. Given the amount of dust I stirred up entering, this is probably an accurate assumption.

The carpet was clearly old - stained in many spots and worn down to the fibres (and enough holes). The inside of the fridge was yellowing, the glasses in the cupboard (wait for it) weren't properly rinsed. I would put the age of everything in there at having started its life in the 80s if I'm being generous.

The cupboard doors themselves were broken, half of them were missing the bottom hinges, so they just sagged down. It gets better, though - inside the cupboards on the top shelves was a little surprise - they were full of mouse feces; little pellets everywhere. Another reason to make a wide berth around any dishes and cups in there. Thankfully there were paper cups in plastic wrapping.

The bed was nice and big, but the bedsheets had several tears in them. The bed looked clean, but given the rest of the room, I didn't exactly trust it.

Further difficulties: the phone wasn't functional, the curtain (light blocking one) had holes/tears in it and the couch was stained and very dusty.

The experience was one of a handful of hotel rooms I've been in, where I wouldn't take off my shoes, and slept on the bed fully clothed.

I didn't ask for another room, mainly because it was already extremely late (actually early) and I only had 4 1/2 hours to sleep anyway. That and I didn't believe they would have a much better room within a decent amount of time anyway.

As far as location goes; it's not the best, there isn't too much around other than a bar attached to another hotel across the street. But it's close to the airport and has a shuttle service, and the room rates were decent around $100.

On the positive side, the bathroom wasn't too bad compared to the rest of the room, very minor issues with mold (but that happens in most hotels), the towels were clean; soaps and shampoo, etc nicely packaged. Staff was quite friendly at check-in and check-out; the shuttle driver was very nice.

However, I clearly would NOT recommend this hotel until some serious renovations are done. At least to the "suite" I was in...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 13Mark13
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service. We will use the comments that you have provided us with to improve our quality.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Monza, Italy
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is in line with all Holiday Inn Express in the bay area, clean, basic, comfortable and good value.

Compared to other HIE in the area though, the reception area was bigger and more imposing!

Helpful staff and good basic breakfast included.

It has a large parking surrounding the hotel, very convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AGall0
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service and your accommodation needs were met. We hope that we will have the pleasure of having stay with us again in the near future.
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is very basic, like any other Holiday Inn express. The front desk staff was excellent. A lady named Ruth served us and she was great. She gave us a very good deal on the room and was very helpful and forthcoming with providing information about the city and places to eat around the hotel. She was very charming and a delight.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and basic. wifi is free, and the hotel has a laundrette which was helpful. Breakfast was adequate and included in the room price.

Overall stay was pleasant and comfortable.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that Ruth was able to help you with your needs. We do hope that you stay with us again in the future.
California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here once in November 2012. I accidentally booked a smoking room and the stench was overwhelming. But that was my fault, not the hotel's. It was only one night so I put up with it. The room was Ok but the bathroom needed renovation, peeling wall paper, old fixtures. The TV was placed so that it can only be viewed from the bed. I don't like to watch TV in bed so that was an inconvenience. The neighborhood was a little dicey, every third business was a bail bond place. It made me think that the city jail must be nearby but I didn't see any questionable characters on the streets. It is very close to the airport but there were no problems with noise. I'm not sure I'd pick this place again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We want to thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments and will use your input to improve upon our property. We are located in a mostly commercial/warehouse area along with other airport hotels.

We do hope that if you are in the area, please do stay with us again. If you do make a reservation with us, you can call us to confirm the room type, we will be more than happy to switch you to a type that fits your needs.
Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was in San Jose for a conference and a business appointment, and this seemed like an acceptable choice for a central location for a reasonable price - though $180 a night including all taxes was hardly cheap! Neighborhood is very blah, but only a block away from the very good Sushi-Zen. Mind you, that one block walk felt a bit sketchy after dark - might be better to drive if you're not loading up on sake! Facilities were all clean and OK, wifi worked OK, breakfast was so-so, staff were friendly. Perfectly acceptable for what you'd expect from an average Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: My room 103 was right across from where the cleaners gather all their gear - so a lot of yakking was...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently. Thank you also for the nice review that you have written for us. We will use your review to help us improve our property.

We hope to have you as a guest in the near future.

Regards,

Charles
Detroit
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I really liked this place. Flew in for a quick business turn around and this was perfect for my needs. The front desk staff is so nice and helpful. They let me know what was around and the best place to eat. The room was quiet and the bed was comfortable. I saw the manager in the moring and they too were very pleasant. No wonder why their staff is great. Starts from the top and trickles down. I would recomend this place for anyone needing a great deal and has to be close to the airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sir,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are glad that you had a great stay and that our staff was able to be of help to you.

Thank you very much for the recommendation and we hope you come back and stay with us soon.

Regards,

Charles
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had planned to stay 3 nights but moved to another hotel after one night. I would have moved to a different hotel that night, but I missed the deadline to cancel by 3 minutes. I asked at the desk if they would give me the grace to cancel without penalty since it was so close to the cut off time but was denied. I was disappointed with the lack of empathy at the front desk.

The room was average. View of a parking lot. The pillow cases were marked "firm" and "soft" but there was no discernable difference between the two.

The neighborhood was questionable, no resturants or places to walk nearby. Located near the airport. I had business meetings in Palo Alto and the traffic between the two places was horrific! It took more than an hour to drive 13 miles.

Breakfast in the morning was OK. Warm and cold items available, pre-madfe eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. No waffles and very little fruit or healthy items.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Moxy_16
Charles H, Sales & Marketing Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you first of all for staying at our property. I apologize for the issue that you had with our front desk. I will review the concellation policy with them to make sure that they are more flexible with the policy depending on the situation.

We do have several fine dining establishment across the street from us. Also within a 5 minute drive there are several high end restaurants.

We do hope that if you are ever in the area again that you stay with us.