Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 1, 2012

It's a bit baffling to see a property this old and tired still charging premium prices for their rooms. Yet, they do.
I suppose if the reason for your visit is an overnight before catching a plane in the morning, you don't mind this property. But looking around, many of the guests appear to be business folks.
If they are like me, they were more than a little disappointed with this hotel. The breakfast crowd starts gathering before 6:00 am, but the doors to the room don't open until 6:30. This is long after most business folks have left to start their days. I can't imagine it works much better for travelers who want an early start to the airport. 6:30 is just too late. Most every other airport hotel I stay at starts at 6:00 or earlier...never later.
Then there is the design of the property. Rooms that open to the outside. I do not feel they are as safe and secure as the hotels that enter into hallways. I really do not like this old, old concept.
And, if they are renovating this property, I did not see evidence of it.
The noise from outside was awful. I was awakened at 4:00 am one morning with what I thought might have been a M1-A1 tank coming into my room. I later figured it must have been a garbage truck. Either way, it was not pleasant.
From the copy paper welcome sheet to the "do you want a bottle of water for being a platinum member of Priority Club?" this hotel reeks of cheap...except for the prices they charge to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank pestpilot
Charles H, Sales & Marketing Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know about your stay with us. I assure you that there are more positive changes to come so please re-visit us when returning to the area. Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Large rooms with bathroom, shower, fridge, tv, alarm clock, iron & board, tea-making facilities, desk and chairs with bar and air con.

All kept in very clean condition by hard working room staff.

Breakfast functional and fast.

Few 'front of house' staff available / visible.

Pool a joke.

Avoid a room next to the (very noisy) lifts [elevators] and tunr the air con dopwn for a quiet night's sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid a room next to the (very noisy) lifts [elevators] and tunr the air con down for a quiet night...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear deepinsight01,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the compliments about the hotel cleanliness and hard working staff. I am please that you liked your room accommodations. I am sorry that you did not find our pool facility to your liking. I apologize about the noise from the elevator and air conditioning unit. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am grateful for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I understand they are going through renovations, and it needs it. The hotel is decent. I'd even stay there again, if I needed a hotel in the area, and the price was right.
I've stayed in many HIX, and the room was rather run down. It wasn't bad, it just felt old. I usually tell people HIX are very nice, with granite counter tops, and a nice updated look. Usually.
For an airport hotel, the location seemed convenient enough.
I had been upgraded to a suite, which fortunately was next to the elevator and did not share a wall with another room. Unfortunately, my toddler had a very bad night. He cried for about an hour straight, and to my dismay, I could hear him in the stairwell when I went down to find a snack to appease him. I hope we didn't disturb anyone, but the walls did seem thin (maybe only when joined to a stairwell?).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Charles H, Sales & Marketing Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Myself and three others shared a two double room that came with a little sitting area with a desk/chair and pull out couch with coffee table. There was also a mini-fridge and microwave. We stayed here because our hotel of choice downtown was booked due to a convention in town that night. The hotel itself was clean and quiet. Our room was on the third floor facing the main street. The parking lot was packed but we were able to find a space easily. The front desk staff was personable and efficient. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The beds were great, I only slept a couple of hours because I had to be up super early, but I slept well in the bed. We called a cab company to take us downtown for dinner and our show and it was there in less than ten minutes and the trip downtown took less than five minutes. The only drawback I can think of is the price. It was a little pricey, but I guess that is because it is right next to the airport and you're paying for that convenience? I didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast or pool, etc. But if in a bind, and you're looking for a clean and safe place, you would be safe in booking a room here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Charles H, Sales & Marketing Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here one night on our way to Hawaii. I found the room rates in San Jose to be high and this hotel was no exception. The layout of the hotel is odd but they were able to put us on the first floor and we were fine. Breakfast was what I expected. There were plenty of choices and I had no issues with quality. We used the shuttle and the drivers were prompt and courteous.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Yeah, so... This hotel... I'm not sure how Holiday Inn can really put its name to it (even as an "Express"). Poorly furnished rooms, a breakfast that's frankly a joke (if I found a bagel that wasn't solid and dry I was doing well), and it felt like being in a prison camp.

On the plus point, it's quiet, but that's about it. The location is near nothing useful at all, a little over 5 minutes' walk to the VTA stop. The WiFi barely worked. It's acceptable, but there must be something better in a good location in San Jose.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear unspecified,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor. I am particularly appreciative that you gave us a high score on Sleep Quality. However, I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource in improving guest services.

We hope to get a chance of hosting you again since we have just finished our renovations last month.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was happy with staying at this hotel....stayed for 12 days on business. Warm greeting from the start and that continued each and every day. Front desk staff were always ready to help and for business they were awesome. Made copies I needed, received and sent faxes numerous times..for business purposes this was a plus. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. Recently updated with some renovation still ongoing in the hallways. Breakfast was ok, nothing great but a few hot items available as well as the standard breakfast items for a hotel. The grounds were pretty clean but could use a little attention on a regular basis...dirty tables that stayed dirty for a few days. Location was good for getting around, area is not the best at night but still felt safe on the hotel property. Overall, it was a nice stay and I really appreciated the friendly helpfull front desk staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business