WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not what you'll expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

This place used to be a Holiday Inn and it still feels like it. The rooms are nice enough and the beds are comfy but for over $100 a night (and I booked online) not really worth it since you are well over 15 minutes away from Downtown and there is NOTHING to do near the hotel itself. I tried to upgrade my room to a suit when I got here and was told that since I booked online they couldn't help me, I would have to go back online and change my reservation. I booked online with this company! I did not use a travel site or anything like that, I literally booked with Sheraton and had to call and finish the booking because they couldn't get their site to work properly. I couldn't understand why in the heck they would not just give me a credit for what I already prepaid for and then charge me the cost of the new room since it was booked through their company not a third party. Oh well lesson learned next time I stay closer to downtown and just pay the higher price which by the way was only $20 more than this place.

The pool left something to be desired as well. It was small and outdated and the spa was tiny and hardly warm. They do have a "fitness center" but it isn't much.

Room Tip: Best tip would be to choose a different hotel all together.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex_P_602

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I booked this hotel through one of its partner businesses and since it was only a few dollars more than others in the area due to the discount I thought it might be a nice change from my usual budget traveller choices.

Let's just say I'm sure glad I didn't pay retail.

The positives:
The hotel is very quiet, good soundproofing through walls, and of course the decor is beautiful.
There is a coffee maker, hair dryer, shampoo in the room, plus an iron and ironing board.
The bed and pillows were very comfortable - certainly the most comfortable I've had at a hotel/motel in a long time.
Upgraded Speakman shower head in the shower and adequate water pressure.
Plenty of free parking.
Restaurant adjacent.

The negatives:

No frig or microwave in room. Of course not - they want you to order room service food.
For such an upscale place I was expecting a great cup of coffee, especially since the packets for the coffeemaker came in a cute little burlap bag. The in-room coffee was terrible - so weak and no body to the flavor! Style over substance wins again.
The duvet cover on one bed had some spots on it. No big deal, I know, but for these prices I would not expect to see smudges. Also smudges on the bathroom wall. Not a crisis, but I wouldn't expect to see that here.
They take a deposit from your credit card for "incidentals" - translated that means if you make calls from the room phone, or accidentally take home their hair dryer, they deduct it from your deposit. I don't have a problem with that - I just wish they'd tell travelers in advance, on the booking sites, that they require a deposit. It's a shame all travelers have to be treated like potential criminals in this way. They should tell us that on the booking sites.

Worst of all, the customer service people were not very nice. I thought I looked okay considering I'd just driven 3 hours and traveled 3 days, but I guess I looked poor in my less-than-Bloomingdales attire. The front desk person acted as if he didn't want to touch my credit card when he saw I was prepaid at a discount rate. Another guest service person also looked at me with disdain.

It's summer Sheraton. Your company is offering discounts. Please train your customer service staff to treat every guest the same no matter how beat up their luggage is or how their clothing says, "Not a Nordstroms shopper".

For me and my needs, I won't be staying at a Four Points again. Yes, the rooms are very pretty but a comfortable room is really about the amenities and how you're treated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were attending a wedding in Cupertino and chose to stay at this hotel because we could use SPG points. The hotel's location is about 15 minutes away from downtown San Jose but rather than that be an issue, it turned out to be a blessing as the hotel is set among some gentle rolling hillsides and offered very easy access to the freeway. There is a restaurant of some sort across from the parking lot, and room service appeared to be an option.

My room was pretty nice, and the beds were phenomenal. The room is somewhat updated with a nice, huge flat panel TV and nice working area, plus a chair to relax in. The bathroom was updated as well, clean with good water pressure (although it seems all Four Points use the awful pump soap and shampoo). The only issue was the room smelled a bit musty when we first walked in, but with the AC going for a while that smell was gone.

Our room (108) was far down the hall from the lobby area but it was impossible to ignore the party going on in the main meeting room, since we could hear the music from the room with the door closed. The room also had an old fashioned heat/AC unit, while my friends staying in rooms across the hall had newer thermostats installed.

The fitness center was adequate and the pool (which we did not use) was a popular hangout.

I'd say this is a pretty great place to stay, as long as you have a car. I think it's only 3000 SPG points a night, so definitely a bargain. Just try and stay in a room away from the meeting rooms, unless you enjoy listening to loud music as you try to fall asleep.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank GlobetrotterIL
Orange, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay here after reading all the negative reviews.

I stayed just one night during a business trip and I found my room to be roomy, comfortable and clean. The furniture was cute and modern.

There doesn't seem to be a lot nearby but downtown San Jose was just about 8 miles away so a 10-15 min ride away.

I also had breakfast at their restaurant right outside and it was good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Just stayed at this property for one night this week, want to help my fellow travelers with a brief review.

Location - fair, there is nothing near this property so once you are there you maybe with little options for dinning.

Room - Average, clean and recently remodeled

Noise - One of the two big issues was the noise level - rooms are not well insulated from noise in other room and hallways

Restaurant - Poor, food not very good, the bar area has a few TV'S for viewing sports and they have 80's music playing, very little ambiance.

Room Tip: I had room 220, good but noise level was an issue
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Caravan50
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Clean quiet hotel, comfortable bed, convenient location. Close to the freeway about four to five miles from restaurants. However, there is a restaurant in the parking lot. Friendly and helpful staff. I would definitely stay here again when in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Caroline G, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you found our location easily accessible and convenient. We look forward to your next visit!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

The lobby was nice and the rooms were clean. The service was horrible. Our room wasn't ready when we tried to check in at 5pm. It didn't take long though. The biggest problem though and what got suck low ratings is there was a party going on in the meeting room below us that had a huge stereo system. We had a huge amount of bass vibrating our room for the majority of the night. The amount of noise coming into the room was unbelievable and impossible to sleep with. We called once to be nice and just asked politely if they knew when the party would be over and the only answer was that they didn't know. After unsuccessfully trying to sleep we called to ask if we could switch rooms and the only answer was that they were fully booked and there is nothing they could do for us. We also attempted to go to the hot tub which was 89 degrees and dirty.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not near the ballroom
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Caroline G, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We sincerely apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay, and the manner it was dealt with. The comfort of all our guests is our first priority and we fell short of that goal here. Please accept our apologies and we hope you consider staying with us again in the future.