“First stay”

Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley
Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I did a stopover at this property to check it out. Booked a C&P night the day before. Everything appeared normal with the booking and confirmations. While checking in they confirmed a roll-a-way bed that I did not request. Easily taken care of, but concerned me. They also asked if I wanted my folio by eMail and I said yes (got the bill that night).

Lobby was huge and plenty of places to sit (only staff cleaning in the area the anytime I was in the lobby). I did see the microwave off to the right from the front desk in an obscure location. To the left of the front desk was a "mini market" (a bank of shelves and cold case) for food and snacks. Looked like a nice selection.

Only one (of two) elevators working. Rear door was opening as I entered for a staff member. Caught me off-guard at first, didn't know if he was going to exit or not. Only three floors with LONG hallways! Was a hike to my room but I was only halfway down the hall.

The room was typical Four Points, with a large TV and work desk. Night stands had power-strips for charging devices bedside. Only two outlets at the desk (one high and one below). I didn't need either so I was fine. WiFi was strong and worked fine. No password needed. The bed was very comfortable. I did not hear anything from other rooms, but they didn't look very busy (maybe a dozen cars in the lot overnight).

I did not use the restaurant or room service on-site (across the parking lot), but opted to drive past the freeways (two merge there, 101 & 85). Many choices once you get on Bernal and near the shopping malls. Nothing within walking distance in my view.

The next day I got a second eMail folio showing a zero balance. Not sure why they sent the first. Scared me when I saw the second but all was well.

Overall, I was pleased and satisfied. If I have a reason to be in the area again, I would consider staying.

Room Tip: The wings are VERY long with elevators in the middle. If a long walk down a hall is bothersome ask...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We needed a quiet place to stay after a day of shopping in Gilroy. It is about 20 min away, right off the freeway The room was comfortable and we loved the power strip on the side of the end tables So easy to plug in the phones, iPad, etc. someone put some thought into that.

• Stayed: April 2013
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We're glad you could rest and relax at our hotel after a busy day of shopping. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food choices are limited, but restaurant staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were a good size, but walls were thin. Still need some upgrades in order to get to Starwood standards, but the stay wasn't horrible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We recently opened the hotel and are working hard to meet guest expectations. We will share your feedback at our next team meeting and extend your kudos to our restaurant associates.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just spent $60 on an unplanned cab ride. Apparently, the hotel stopped offering free shuttle pick ups from the SJ Airport. When we checked we were told the manager is still working on taking the 'free shuttle' ammenity off the website. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told The pool is out of service and there's no restaurants near by.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Diana M

We are terribly sorry that you had an unexpected travel expense from the airport. We recently opened the hotel and are working diligently on the pool. We hope you give us another try in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The rooms are fine, not great, but passable. The food options are very limited. No room service, no one appears to deliver from close by, the restaurant downstairs (a stretch to call it that) serves sandwiches and pizza and that's about it. There aren't a variety of restaurants close by, and the staff is ill-equipped to make any recommendations.

We had an event there and the sound never worked right throughout the day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Wayne P
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is now a Four Points by Sheraton. Opened two weeks ago, and obviously still undergoing renovations from all the pictures/frames in the stairwells and such. I assume only some of the rooms are open at this point.

Price was very good for the area. Location is not, a bit far away from everything really, and not in a great area. Parking is free and easy at this point, but there probably aren't that many people in the hotel honestly.

I was only a few doors down the corridor but it stretched on a long ways. Kinda like one of those Vegas hotels. Ice machine halfway down.

Nicely renovated rooms, typical Four Points. Big flat screen. Nice beds. Oddly the bedside table had TWO power strips attached to it, which is fabulous, but there was only one outlet on the desk for your laptop. A bit weird.

I had no problems with noise. Wifi performance was GREAT (8mbps down AND up!), which was free and not password protected. Good coverage too. But then I was close to the lobby, so YMMV.

They're still working out some things. The door handle to my room for example was apparently installed upside down and won't open the door unless you pull it up, not down. I ordered room service and the guy I spoke to seemed to be unclear on what he was supposed to do. Also the order never arrived.

Front desk staff jovial and helpful.

There is a microwave next to the front desk, and a small fridge with various items you can purchase and reheat if you want to keep things cheap. A nice option.

Lobby is nice enough for a cheap hotel. No issues.

Weird thermostat. Weird boxes in cubby holes instead of drawers solution to storing your dirty clothes. Very odd choice.

Windows have blackout curtains.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front desk seem to have good wifi.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fanfoot
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Location is now a 4 Points by Sheraton. Fairly standard "4 Points" room layout and decor. But that's where it ends.

The walls are incredibly thin. One can hear other guest conversations easily and one can watch the TV in-room to the sound of the TVs in adjacent rooms.

On the third night I finally called to complain and the desk promised to call the neighbor but they did not (I would have heard the phone ringing) and the volume in adjacent room was never lowered.

Will never return.