“I would stay there again”

Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley
Ranked #37 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Atlanta, Georgia
“I would stay there again”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I was in the area from out of state and and a relative recommended this hotel. I booked my reservations online about 2 weeks before I planned to be there and when I arrived they had a huge/loud quinceaneras going on. I was concerned and had to yell for the desk clerk to hear me, but she assured me I would not be able to hear the noise from my room. She wa right, my room was very quiet.

The room was dated but extremely clean, no dust on door hinges, tops of shelves and other places that are commonly missed. The sheets were soft an the bed was very comfortable. The TV was an older model, but it worked fine and I had a great view of the mountains from my room.

They had very good homemade muffins out wach morning and good coffee with cream. Breakfast was not provided, so I went to the hotel restaurant with expectations of an expensive, low quality meal. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was delightful, and the food was very good. My eggs were cook perfectly every morning, the bread was fresh and high quality, served with real butter and they brought breakfast out with a great homemade salsa each morning. Prices were very reasonable.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains. And breakfast at the hotel restaurant is a must.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed October 17, 2011

It had been a long day, and at 10:00 pm I was disappointed to pull in and find the parking lot full and a quinceanera going full tilt. The hotel specializes in hosting quinceaneras, as it turns out. The desk clerk and I had to talk loudly to be heard. He suggested a room a long way from the party and I accepted. The motel is basically in a long V-shape, and we were not given a map. We ended up entering the wrong entrance (which was near our parking place!) and had to walk the length of one arm of the V and half-way down the other one. Fortunately our load was fairly light.

The room itself was larger than usual--it was an ADA compliant handicapped room with plenty of room to maneuver if one of us had needed it. The decor was pretty pleasant actually, and in the morning we could see that we had a nice view out toward the hills. The bed itself was B-, also true for the pillows. Old CRT television (which we didn't turn on, so I don't know about the picture). Aside from the TV, the only room amenity was a coffee machine.

The bathroom was huge; handicapped access would have been pretty good. Toilet was higher than usual--a little odd for me to barely touch the floor when sitting. The floor was uneven, probably a construction defect, and the tiles in the middle were loose and a couple were cracked. Potential for getting hurt on that. There was no counter top in the bathroom, so no place to store toiletries. Major odd feature of the room was that the light switch for the bathroom was outside the door and actually behind the door (not on the side of the door you are going to close, but the side with the hinges). Really strange and that would be very inconvenient if you were really handicapped. This is a place where you would have been happy if you had brought a nightlight with you to plug in in the bathroom.

There was fresh coffee and little containers of half-and-half in the lobby as well as some rather mediocre muffins.

This place is bare bones. The hallway we were on was very very very creepily long. At least our floor (the 2nd) was well lit. The first floor was unpleasantly dark. While our room seemed to have been recently redecorated, the hallways seemed dingy.

The price was reasonable with the AAA discount and getting out was smooth and easy. There are not many good hotel options in that part of San Jose, so understanding that you might encounter a lively party just off the lobby, and that this is a bare bones, you might consider this place. It's very convenient to the 101 and the 85.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the party.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank curdmudgeon
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I had to travel to San Jose, Ca on business this summer. I have been a loyal Holiday Inn customer for some time, Priority Club member. I found that Lorrane and her staff were very accommodating even if I called late. I could have stayed closer to the Lowes stores were I worked. But I did not mind the extra 10 mile drive in some cases.

Lorrane keep up the great customer service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed 3 nights for a wedding. The staff was very friendly and the location was great for us. The wifi worked well. But that was where the positives ended. The entire 3rd floor had no working air conditioning either in halls or in room. Our first room had rips in curtains, tears in all chairs upholstery, and a broken toilet handle. When we moved room to 2nd floor, the hall AC was not working but the room AC did. Unfortunately, the room was missing half the furniture (1 queen bed missing, along with end tables, chair etc...). Virtually every item in the tiny fitness center was non-operational, and the pool looked clean, but once in did not appear to have any chlorine maintenance. Last day in, they had workers tearing out flooring and repainting in the lobby. Overall my most disappointing stay in an H-I.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel back in 2006 and my memory was that it was fine. Well, It did not match my memory. It was right off 101 and close to restaurants, shopping, my business. The hotel, while looking fine on the outside, is rather run down and very tired looking on the inside. Carpet very worn, walls grungy. Staff was pleasant, but that was the highlight. While my room was spacious, and the Internet access was good, there were a lot of little problems that added up to a barely adequate experience. The alarm clock did not work, but worse it constantly flashed the '12:00" like it had been reset by a power failure--but one could set it, only to have it return to the flashing state 30 seconds later. The air conditioning unit sounded like an airplane in the room, and it did not cycle on and off but was constantly on, so the room got colder and colder. The sink stopper did not move at all so the sink did not hold water. The front desk could not connect me to a guest room so they just told me the room number of the guest, a big no-no. Next time I am there on business I do not plan to stay there. (And my four other colleagues all concluded the same thing.)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel was old and dirty. The service was lacking and there were many things terrible about my stay. I'll focus on the worst 2: 1) My air conditioning did not work in my room. They sent someone up to "fix it" - he jiggled the control and said it was fixed. I still was sweating in the middle of the night. The hotel refused to move me because "they were fully booked". 2) They over-charged my credit card $130. When I checked out, my receipt said $460. My credit card shows a charge of $590. They refuse to help me now that I am out of town and calling to reconcile the difference. I am disputing the charge through my credit card. My co-worker who stayed there with my got double-charged on his credit card that same week. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Roseville, California
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Travel to SJ frequently and have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 5 years. The quality has gone down hill over the years and I attributed it to the age of the property and the so forth......well my last stay here was my last.

The last time I stayed at this hotel - check in was fairly smooth although the clerk acted like he was going out of his was to get us a room, i was quite surprised at the $130 rate and that is with the AAA discount on a Sunday night. That is the most i have ever paid.

On the way to our we room we were surprised to see caution tape strung across the doors of 2 rooms.....when you look closer there was a sign on the door from the San Jose Police Department forbidding entry into the rooms because it was considered a crime scene.

Ok, so we get to room and I kid you not it was a sauna in there and this is 8pm at night. We turned the air on full blast, full cold. I could blow the air out of my lungs with more force than was coming from that air conditioner---but still going to give time to work. So I thought to give it about an hour to cool the room down well in the meantime my husband is so hot he has taken 2 showers to cool off.

I am so tired I end up dozing off to sleep..........only to be pleasantly awaken by tweekers rummaging through the dumpsters collecting bottles and cans. I call the front desk and tell them the dumpsters are being rummaged and the noise is annoying. Well when they were good and ready they did send someone out there but the tweekers just kept on dumpster diving!

So in the morning I was ready to get the hell out of this hotel. I was mad but got over it until my credit card bill came. I paid cash for the room as I always do when I stay there and I see they charged my credit card --so now I have paid $260. To date I have left 3 messages without a return phone call from the accounting department- because they are the only ones that can help me according to the front desk. I have disputed the charges on my card and they have also called to resolve the matter. Rest assured I will now call them daily and hourly until the charges are reversed on my card.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family