“great hotel - watch your credit card bill”
Review of Hilton San Jose

Hilton San Jose
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 18, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton in San Jose. We had an event to attend at the convention center, so the location was very convenient. We were upgraded to a suite for $15 a night and enjoyed the breakfast and happy hour buffet. Very nice rooms and services. I used my reward points to pay for the room. When I got home and checked my credit card the full price of the stay was on my credit card. I called the billing dept. and they immediately reversed the charges and took off my parking charges for the inconvenience. I wonder if this really was a "mistake" since I made the reservation and checked in using my points???

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed March 12, 2010

The rooms at the Hilton San Jose are nice but nothing remarkable--- kind of a retro 60's ultra-modern theme going on, and mostly comfortable and decent sized. Everything's really clean and the beds are comfy. But there's nothing really remarkable about them-- no special touches or signatures. Just a Hilton room. which in and of itself isn't a bad thing--- just don't come here expecting a fantastic view or stellar luxuries.

The biggest negative, though, is the noise. It's *everywhere*. From my room on the 11th floor I could hear the neighbors on either side of me opening closets and flushing toilets, folks chatting in the hallway, and the people upstairs walking around. Sound travels entirely too easily in this hotel. Even worse is the airplane noise-- this hotel has a very convenient location near the airport and you are never more aware of it than when you are trying to fall asleep. Thankfully there's a break in the action between around 11pm and 6am but the rest of the time, it's jets, jets, jets. It is not a restful place to stay.

If you're here with a convention you will enjoy it--- great location, plus the executive-level lounge is one of the better ones in terms of breakfast choices. If you're here for any other reason, I'd actually go somewhere else. I'd been planning on changing hotels partway through my stay but got the chance to go home early so I took that.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This is a great place to stay in San Jose. The service was wonderful, the staff at the restaurant during breakfast were very cheerful and glad to see us.
The rooms were comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Hubby and I stayed at this hotel for business back in early December, and I had to come back for another trip at the end of January (am still here now, as a matter of a fact).

I have to commend this hotel on the best asset it has; her people. Henry checked me in both times I stayed here, and he was VERY helpful and efficient at checking me in. The first time I stayed here in December, we were using a conference rate negotiated by my company. But the rate was only good for 3 nights. We were staying a total of 6 and the hotel honored the conference rate for the duration of our trip. They didn't have to do that; we were happy to pay the rack rate for those 3 other nights, but they went beyond what they 'had' to do and that left an impression on us.

With the exception of one surley barista in the restaurant (who barked at me that the coffee wasn't ready and that I'd have to wait), the wait staff have been really good. Very polite, prompt and I have received great service both times I've been here.

This time, however, I used room service, which is something my husband and I didn't do when we were here in December. I must say that room service has been a pleasant surprise. The food has been REALLY GOOD. Last night, I had the teriyaki mahi mahi with rice pilaf ($23), and it was heavenly. I ate all of it within 10 minutes. Tonight, I had the flat iron steak medium rare with garlic mashed potatoes ($20) and it was oh so perfect. Nice and red in the middle. The plate originally came with mixed fresh vegetables, but I asked to substitute creamed spinach, which they happily did at no charge. But they forgot to deliver it, so Rafael (who delivered my meal) called me to admit their mistake, and apologized. He then brought a fresh scrumptious dish of creamed spinach right to my room. It was piping hot still.

And Rafael is another staff member that should be commended. His service was professional, courteous, and just genuinely nice. He delivered my meal last night and to night.

The housekeeping gal was so polite and always had a genuine smile.

There are faults with the hotel but they are small: no water in the fitness room, carpets in the halls and in the elevators need to be vacuumed more frequently, and the fitness room opens at 6 AM (which is too late for me to use as I need to be at the office by 7:30 or so). But these are such small nits that their staff far outweigh these.

The breakfast buffet is $21 and is quite elaborate. Or, you may opt for a-la-carte menu items, such as a variety of omelettes (~$13), a few kinds of quiche ($8), the Hilton breakfast ($15), eggs benedict ($19), and a variety of juices and Starbuck's coffees. The quiche was quite filling, so I didn't buy the buffet (I don't eat THAT much for breakfast). :)

There is a pool on the 3rd floor near the fitness room, but it was too cold to use. But it looks nice, even though it's a tad small. There is a self-serve laundry room where a load to wash costs $2. Drying is $2.50. There is a soap dispenser in the laundry room which costs a few bucks for a small box that is big enough to do one large or two small loads.

The internet is $9.95 a day, or you can buy 3 days for $23. You can buy a week for $40.

The room is very aesthetically pleasing and the decor is new. The rooms are quite large and there is still space for a table and chair in a room with double beds (there is TONS of room in a king bed room). Each room has a fridge and a pod-style coffee maker that makes two 16-ounce cups of coffee. Teas are supplied as well.

This hotel is also within walking distance to a Safeway grocery store, as well as two dozen eateries (both upscale and budget), and this is not an exaggeration; there really are lots of options within a 4 block walk or less. After all, the university is within 6 blocks of the Hilton, and with students in the area, lots of budget eateries in the area make eating out quite affordable.

There is the local downtown train right out the side door of the Hilton, and the San Jose commuter train one block west. If you need to get anywhere within the city, there is no shortage of inexpensive options to get around. The Hilton is 5 miles and a $15 cab ride away from SJC, so getting to and from the airport is quick, and pretty reasonable.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Hubby and I enjoyed our visit in December and I'm sorry he couldn't come on trip #2.
-Jen

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JBien
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I paid for the exec level and was placed on the 8th floor. The manager said ohh dont worry I will give you exec level keys. The room was clean - bed was BAD. when we laid down, we rolled to the center of the bed. I went to the desk the next morning and all I got was "sorry we cant move you because we dont have room".

When we went to the lounge at 6pm, there wasnt any food left. I asked if they were going to bring anything else out, the response was we might later. Then one of the ladies in line said that they had trays of food in the back. Then everyone in line was getting mad so they brought ONE tray of sandwiches.

Staff were OK - but definately did not hold up to Hilton standards.

If you need to stay in San Jose, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2010

In town for Fencing Tournament! Hotel has great access to the convention center and there are lots of fabulous restaurants within walking distance. There is a Safeway Market close by as well. Room 919 was remodeled and very nice! Came with refrigerator which was a huge plus!! My only complaint was that the coffee choice in the room was absoutely horrible - ugh! Great "Grab n go" options for breakfast at $3 (3 egg burrito with bacon and a side of fab potatoes with grilled vegetables)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights for an event for our kids. Consistently throughout our stay, the service was poor:
1. The room never had enough shower towels, and on at least one occasion when I ordered additional towels they never arrived.
2. They have only one car valet at a time, and i had to wait several times for quite a while to get my car pulled up and on at least occasion they forgot or missed that I had called ahead to have it pulled up, so I had to wait.
3. The room supplies were NEVER replenished - anything you use does NOT get replaced - no toilet paper replaced, no pen or paper replaced, and no card for breakfast the next morning(that you leave on your door) was replaced - ever, every night. .
4. Our bed sheets this afternoon, after coming back to the room, appear to have been replaced with stained sheets. The towels once had a yellow stain.
5. A room service meal was also wrong (forgot a dish) and some of it was inedible.
6. Lastly, the hotel was admittedly full of younger guests, but it was INCREDIBLY loud until very late at night. The walls and doors are paper thin. Moreover, when the partying next door went until after 2 AM (and our kids had an event at 7 AM the next morning) and I called downstairs to ask them to intervene, they apologized and sent security once. When it continued for an additional two hours and I called downstairs again, but they never sent anyone again. If it recurred the next night, I was going to call the police. It was that bad. I understand from other guests at our same event that they too had to call security, and it did nothing.

If I come to San Jose again, I will never stay at this hotel. It has a good location for the Convention Center, but other than that, you would get better service at a $16 night hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family