“A good Alternative” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
San Francisco, California
“A good Alternative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Since the rooms have been remodeled, the Hilton is a good choice for shacking downtown SJ, if you have to. The exec lounge is too small for all the people gathering up there for breakfast and afternoon drinks, and some of the public areas of the hotel haven't been touched in decades, but I actually liked my room, the view, and the fact that they actually have a bathrobe, slippers, a valet and a 24 hr room service.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank hi_stick
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. I’m very sorry to hear that we didn't meet all your expectations. We will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we're always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hilton San Jose Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Accommodations were quite nice, attractive facility. Front desk staff were sullen, unmotivated and unhelpful as a rule. Concierge and valet parking staff were very helpful and went out of their way to provide good customer relations.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hi Pia,

I’m very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us and we apologize for letting you down. We will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we're always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your review and I really hope you'll give us a second chance if your travels bring you back to our area.

Wrightwood, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Nice rooms and staff. Wifi is an additional cost. The restaurant and bar had great food and drinks. A little pricey, but this entire section of San Jose was a little pricey. Shopping and dining within a few blocks. Overall it was a nice experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello Brook,

Thank you for writing a review. We are glad that you had a great stay at the Hilton San Jose. We hope you stay with us again the next time you come to San Jose.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel was nice enough. Rooms were good (albeit they could use some updating). Only stayed 1 night, so didn't try too much of the hotel. Internet was slow (~1.5mbit) but worked. Executive lounge has a nice breakfast, and free drinks/coffee, which I can recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 7, 2014

Dresden, Sachsen, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

During SPIE (conference in the connected conference center) I have stayed in the Hilton hotel for 4 nights. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this place because:

- Monday morning: Internet was not working, nobody helps me to fix this problem, so I had to call myself with the AT&T service (seems to be the WLAN provider of the hotel)
- The room had lot of dust on the floor (especially in the corners, under the bed, ...).
- The hotel is directly located in the airplane corridor
- According to mention these issues, the reception service does not apologize

The only good thing at this hotel is the neighborhood to the conference center!

Stefan

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stefan,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and guestroom amenities and apologize our internet service did not work well during your visit. WE will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town for business or pleasure so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and satisfaction.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I admit I'm a little late in writing this review, as my stay was the third weekend of January 2014, but some things did stand out.

This is a big convention hotel. It's connected by an interior passageway to the convention center, which is nice as you can leave your coat in your room when attending events. You can dine here, have a drink, chat with fellow travelers and never experience weather. Until it's time to go home, at least.

I liked the fast check-in and check-out. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient with every interaction. In fact, just about everyone I encountered that worked here was quite pleasant.

The only two hiccups were a lack of hot water for a couple hours on one of the mornings, so I had to forego a shower. They had it fixed within a few hours, but it would have been really nice to be clean for my meetings. The other hiccup was the seemingly-understaffed restaurant. It took forever to get another refill of my coffee and getting the attention of the harried staff resulted in waiting to get my bill. Maybe hiring extra food service staff during conventions would help?

All in all, there are some nice views from the rooms, which are clean and spacious. The bathrooms are nice and I really appreciated the comfy beds. Pretty much what I've come to expect from these big convention hotels, I suppose.

This is more of a complaint about San Jose, however: walking to the downtown restaurants and attractions is kind of a pain as the crosswalk lights seem to take forever to change. They are convenient to get to, but bring a little patience as you wait and wait and wait for the walk light to glow.

Room Tip: The western view is quite nice, with the mountains in the distance.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't meet all your expectations.

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I think the hotel is fairly unfriendly to sporting groups. We were notified at check in that club/concierge service was not offered on the weekends - a direct target at weekend groups. We had requested this service in advance and we're not notified of their policy. Windows in room were terribly dirty. There were problems w the elevators for 1/2 the weekend - fixed by hotel. Water bottle in fitness room sat empty for 2 days despite our notifying staff. Flags flying were old and torn. At checkout, I mentioned the problems. The grumpy clerk argued with me about the elevators but said she would credit us the 2 glasses of wine we put on the bill. Later, I was asked by email to fill out a review sent by Hilton (which I did). I received a pre-written form letter from the hotel with nothing specific to our stay. :-((

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
John,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were disappointed in the service and amenities of our property. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.