“Good solid hotel, convenient to convention center”
Review of Hilton San Jose

Hilton San Jose
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Good solid hotel, convenient to convention center”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

staff really seemed to hustle, especially in restaurant and at front desk. Housekeeping was a little unenthusiastic I'd been given a 5pm checkout as a gold, however. They kept knocking on my door on checkout day, starting in the AM, asking me if I'm leaving. I checked in about 2:30 or 2:45, and although they have 3pm checkin time listed, "my room type isn't ready" they said. I was hoping they were readying some nice upgraded suite, but got a standard king, which was very nice, just nothing fancy. As a gold they gave me executive lounge privileges, which was a nice touch, since I wasn't on the executive floor. The lounge is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and arriving on Sunday they made up for it by giving me a complimentary appetizer and 2 free drink chits for the hotel restaurant and bar. I used them the night I left, on my late checkout day, and the server was eager to please despite seeing I was using my coupon and not ordering much else. He made a good recommendation what to get and what NOT to get (it's pre-made, don't get it, get the quesadilla he said). I gave him a big tip as a result. The gym is on the small side but decently equipped. Comp ear bud headphones and chilled water and chilled towels, and you walk thru the gym to go outside to the pool (TINY TINY pool). I used the Jacuzzi nearby the pool, but the pool was heated, I just wanted to relax. There were plenty of plugs along the outside wall, and I needed to charge my devices, so I sat in the sun and charged up while getting in and out of the hot tub. The exec lounge was open all day, so I would slip up there to grab a couple bottles of diet coke here and there during my stay.
Front desk was very accommodating with a 5pm late checkout for no charge. I will say their "sundry shop" is like a tiny closet of a few snacks and that's about it. About as much selection as a large vending machine. There are restaurants nearby, but I'm really not sure how far you'd need to walk to find a drug store or small variety store. Mostly I kept to the convention center and some nearby restaurants and bars. Felt very safe walking around at night It's a very clean city. Great GREAT views from the exec lounge windows for sunrise and at twilight, seeing the sun coming up behind the mountain in the AM and the twinkling lights on the foothills once the sun had gone down. Food up there was very average, however (in the lounge). Breakfast was decent (better than evening snacks).
SUPER comfortable bed and good shampoo/soap etc. Sometimes the ones they give you in hotels really smell bad, but this was fine (I'm a guy). Décor was modern and simple. I liked it.

Room Tip: I was in 815, heard elevator noise all the time thru ventilation system, even though elevators were...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
Louisiana
Reviewed September 22, 2013

By and large the place is what you expect from the Hilton Properties. I was here for a conference and checked in later the day I arrived. Although I had reserved a King Club room they had given my requested room away. The only thing they had left was an accessible room. I'm not sure who got the room I reserved but someone on the staff had to give it away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel was under renovation, but overall it was ok. Being on the executive floor and having the executive breakfast was a pity. They only served warm eggs, that's it. They need to add options to their "executive" breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Nevada City, California
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were in San jose for a concert and decided to stay at the Hilton. During our conversation with Alex while we were checking in, we mentioned that we were celebrating a belated wedding anniversary. After going out to lunch we came back to the hotel and in our room was a chilled bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a big pile of whipped cream. We had a very nice afternoon!!! Thanks to you and your staff for making our stay so pleasant. We also had a great time at the bar before and after the concert at the Civic. We will definitely go back when we have the chance and recommend the Hilton to anyone staying in downtown San Jose. Say Hi to Alex for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom M
Templeton, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After having an issue in the parking garage with a potential flat tire the Manager took care of it right away. By the time my son and I came back from walking downtown for dinner our car was fixed and sitting in the same general vicinity. It was nice having someone else do the worrying for a change.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Sacramento, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The staff at this particular Hilton were wonderful! Great location for events held at connecting Convention Center. Parking is expensive; even self-park. The pool is the smallest pool on earth (website makes it look bigger) but perfect for little people. The location did not seem useful for walking to restaurants (with kids) which made eating in the hotel restaurant "necessary." Overall good value and location, and the staff are fantastic!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

San Jose, California
Reviewed September 7, 2013

For over 25 years I have been coming to San Jose and I have yet t find the perfect hotel in this city or surrounding area. The San Jose Hilton is not perfect but excellent if you are in town for an event at the convention center.

Location is in the old downtown in an are under heavy renovation. I skipped the valet parking and self parked in the underground garage ($20 a night). Garage self secure with easy access to hotel.

Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel lobby has a minimalist look while attempting to be chic.

Rooms decoration was not my taste. I like warm colors and a more home feel. Rooms are very cold looking with modern style with no color.

Bed was comfortable and TV was acceptable HD.

Hotel Internet was not free which through me off. Fortunately my phone is a WiFi hotspot.

With no signage in the area, finding my way back to 101 was a bit of a trick.

If were conducting business in downtown, I may stay here again. Otherwise I have no reason to be back.

Room Tip: I believe they are all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business