“A Few Annoyances”

Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Fresno, California
“A Few Annoyances”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I liked this hotel overall since the beds werre comfortable, staff was friendly, check-in was easy and the location was pretty good. We were there for a hockey game so it wasn't a long stroll to the HP Pavillion. One of the things that irritated me were the amount of noise that could be heard from adjacent rooms and out in the hall. I heard the gentleman next door through the adjoining door sneeze like he was standing next to me. I almost said Gesundheit. Another thing that annoys me at certain hotels is when you can't block out the outside light in the morning. I know it is impossible to get all of it but my room faced the rising sun and the light coming through was extremely bright. Lastly another pet peeve of mine is when I have the do not disturb sign on and the cleaning woman still knocks on the door to see if I am checking out soon before checkout time. If it hadn't been for these inconveniences I would've given this property a four our of five.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the west side if you are snesitive to light when attempting to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The catering team at the Hilton continues to raise their level of service and quality of food. Our largest event of the year was recently held at the San Jose Hilton and Virginia (Catering director), Omar and others exceeded my already elevated expectations. Every year, they seem to raise the bar even higher - no resting on last year's performance. The event room was professionally decorated and everyone during the event was courteous and eager to please. Kudos to Virginia's team for taking care of my guests. There are many venues to choose from in the San Jose area, however there are none that will give you service with the sincerity and warmth as the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Livermore, CA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has a very modern, welcoming lobby and friendly staff at the front counter - they lent me an umbrella when it started raining right before we headed out to walk to the Shark Tank for the hockey game. It is in a great location, right downtown, plenty of restaurants nearby, and walking distance to the Arena.
But the rooms were a little beat up and not super well maintained. Clean - yes, but stuff was broken. Most importantly our room wouldn't lock. We had to yank and pull on the door to get it to lock. They offered to move us to a new room but it would have to wait until after our game which would have meant moving all our already unpacked stuff at 11:00pm. We declined.
The bathroom had been remodeled, but with crummy materials so the water drips from the sink were causing the wood (particle board) cabinet to warp. The lighting in the bathroom was cool and modern (back lit mirror) but it wasn't enough light. And the walls were stark white with no elements of decor. A towel rack on the wall above the toilet would have been enough. But the plain walls felt a little institutional. I probably won't stay there again. Might check out the Marriott down the street next time.

• Stayed March 2013
Washington DC
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton had great service. I thought i would have to pay for parking and whether it was HHonors or what, it turned out to be free. Rooms getting a bit warn, but still clean. Food and drinks in a nice setting. San Jose is a dead zone. I would stay in Palo Alto area even if u have to drive into San Jose.

• Stayed March 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here on business for nights, and was very pleased with the Hilton San Jose! The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating.

My room was comfortable and nicely decorated, and I had a great night's sleep on the comfortable bed. I ordered room service one night, and the food was great and it came very quickly!

I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Checked in, received room next to elevator on 12th floor. Very nice room. Unfortunately, the TV didn't work. Was given a new room on the 14th floor very quickly. Tried wifi -- kept getting bounced off every minute or so, which rendered the wifi completely unusable. Very sad for a hotel of this quality.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Catherine H, Director of Sales at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear AirMarc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. The issues with the WiFi have been resolved. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Hilton San Jose Team
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a Hilton Honors member, I really expected a lot more. I was in town for a conference, so the Hilton that was adjoined to the convention center seemed the most logical choice.

A few things:

1. Despite being a Hilton Honors Gold member, I was put on the 8th floor. The room had two double beds despite my request for a king. I thought about inquiring further, but the front desk agent seemed put out with my previous questions, so I didn't bother.

2. The shower did not have any hot water. I called the front desk after my first shower and they assured me an engineer would take a look at it. When I returned later that day, it was clear that someone had been in the room, but still... no hot water. There was no follow-up whatsoever from the staff.

3. The gym is hilariously ill-equipped. I had called ahead to find out if the equipment I needed for my workouts was available. The woman I talked to told me the items I'd asked for were available. Imagine how surprised I was when I arrived and saw the few cardio pieces, free weights and cable machine. If your gym is going to be this bad, you could have at least kept your agreement with Bally's down the street. I ended up paying to use their facility. In the end I suppose it worked out.

4. This is perhaps the worst issue I had with this property by far on this trip. I had an extremely important meeting 10 miles away in a nearby town. I gave myself 45 minutes for travel (given traffic). After waiting 20 minutes for the valet (and practically BEGGING two different people at reception for my car-- both of whom appeared to not give a damn), I had to give up and get in a cab. Thanks, Hilton; that trip cost me almost $100 round trip in cab fare. The cab driver had to go through heroics to get me there on time. Totally and ABSOLUTELY unacceptable.

So next year, when I visit San Jose for this conference, I will be shacking up at the Marriott. It has the same proximity to the convention center and is quite a bit nicer. HH points be damned.

By far the worst Hilton property I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AW128256
Hello,

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton San Jose, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. We sincerely apologize for the situation you experienced with valet which resulted in you taking a cab. The promptness of our valet team has been addressed and this is an area we are improving. The hot water issues have since been repaired but we regret this was not completed sooner. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Catherine