“Average hotel in a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton San Jose

Hilton San Jose
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Livermore, CA
“Average hotel in a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has a very modern, welcoming lobby and friendly staff at the front counter - they lent me an umbrella when it started raining right before we headed out to walk to the Shark Tank for the hockey game. It is in a great location, right downtown, plenty of restaurants nearby, and walking distance to the Arena.
But the rooms were a little beat up and not super well maintained. Clean - yes, but stuff was broken. Most importantly our room wouldn't lock. We had to yank and pull on the door to get it to lock. They offered to move us to a new room but it would have to wait until after our game which would have meant moving all our already unpacked stuff at 11:00pm. We declined.
The bathroom had been remodeled, but with crummy materials so the water drips from the sink were causing the wood (particle board) cabinet to warp. The lighting in the bathroom was cool and modern (back lit mirror) but it wasn't enough light. And the walls were stark white with no elements of decor. A towel rack on the wall above the toilet would have been enough. But the plain walls felt a little institutional. I probably won't stay there again. Might check out the Marriott down the street next time.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton had great service. I thought i would have to pay for parking and whether it was HHonors or what, it turned out to be free. Rooms getting a bit warn, but still clean. Food and drinks in a nice setting. San Jose is a dead zone. I would stay in Palo Alto area even if u have to drive into San Jose.

• Stayed March 2013
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here on business for nights, and was very pleased with the Hilton San Jose! The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating.

My room was comfortable and nicely decorated, and I had a great night's sleep on the comfortable bed. I ordered room service one night, and the food was great and it came very quickly!

I will definitely stay here again!

Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Checked in, received room next to elevator on 12th floor. Very nice room. Unfortunately, the TV didn't work. Was given a new room on the 14th floor very quickly. Tried wifi -- kept getting bounced off every minute or so, which rendered the wifi completely unusable. Very sad for a hotel of this quality.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Catherine H, Director of Sales at Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear AirMarc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. The issues with the WiFi have been resolved. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Hilton San Jose Team
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a Hilton Honors member, I really expected a lot more. I was in town for a conference, so the Hilton that was adjoined to the convention center seemed the most logical choice.

A few things:

1. Despite being a Hilton Honors Gold member, I was put on the 8th floor. The room had two double beds despite my request for a king. I thought about inquiring further, but the front desk agent seemed put out with my previous questions, so I didn't bother.

2. The shower did not have any hot water. I called the front desk after my first shower and they assured me an engineer would take a look at it. When I returned later that day, it was clear that someone had been in the room, but still... no hot water. There was no follow-up whatsoever from the staff.

3. The gym is hilariously ill-equipped. I had called ahead to find out if the equipment I needed for my workouts was available. The woman I talked to told me the items I'd asked for were available. Imagine how surprised I was when I arrived and saw the few cardio pieces, free weights and cable machine. If your gym is going to be this bad, you could have at least kept your agreement with Bally's down the street. I ended up paying to use their facility. In the end I suppose it worked out.

4. This is perhaps the worst issue I had with this property by far on this trip. I had an extremely important meeting 10 miles away in a nearby town. I gave myself 45 minutes for travel (given traffic). After waiting 20 minutes for the valet (and practically BEGGING two different people at reception for my car-- both of whom appeared to not give a damn), I had to give up and get in a cab. Thanks, Hilton; that trip cost me almost $100 round trip in cab fare. The cab driver had to go through heroics to get me there on time. Totally and ABSOLUTELY unacceptable.

So next year, when I visit San Jose for this conference, I will be shacking up at the Marriott. It has the same proximity to the convention center and is quite a bit nicer. HH points be damned.

By far the worst Hilton property I have ever stayed at.

1 Thank AW128256
Hello,

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton San Jose, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. We sincerely apologize for the situation you experienced with valet which resulted in you taking a cab. The promptness of our valet team has been addressed and this is an area we are improving. The hot water issues have since been repaired but we regret this was not completed sooner. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Catherine
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I found this to be a very nice hotel. The rooms were pretty cooly decorated. Like neat furniture. Very cool. I didn't eat at the hotel or use the fitness center, so I have no idea if that was nice or not. The staff were very nice.

Room Tip: Get an end room. They are much nicer.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Kuwells,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. We are excited to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to have you back with us again in the future.

Catherine
AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

After spending 3 night recently in the Hilton San Jose I would have to say it's a nice place and I would definitely come back. Checking in was a pain in the a@@, they had been sold out the night before and (sold out for the next week due to March Madness) they decided to make everyone wait until 3:00 to check in. Once this process was taken care of I was put on the Executive Floor with access to hot breakfast each day, evening apprtizers, desert and a honor bar. My room was very nice, bed was extremely comfortable, good water pressure, clean and a great view of downtown San Jose from the 18th floor.

Staff seemed good, front desk people stressed about the check in issue but everyone seemed to be friendly and willing to do the extra to make your stay pleasant.

My only complaint would be the underground parking, it was a pain to get in and out, the spots were very small and you had to exit onto a one way that was very busy each morning. Nothing major at all, just a minor inconvenience but worth noting.

Hello,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will ensure that the check in process is positive and that we make our guests feel at home. We hope to have you back with us in the future.

Hilton San Jose Team