“Excellent Customer Service from making reservation to check-out”

Vagabond Inn San Jose (SJC Airport)
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I stayed here for two nights. My initial call was to make my reservation. Walter was very helpful in answering my questions regarding pricing and availability. He also provided information on the restaurant and tourist attractions in the area. Upon Check-in, Danny accomodated my request for a room change. I was very pleased with his efficiency and courteous and polite attitude. The rooms were clean and fresh. My room had a comfortable queen sized bed, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer and tv. Danny was at the front desk upon check-out. The check-in and check-out process was very smooth. The employee atmosphere is very welcoming and I would recommend this hotel for future guests. I would stay here when I return to San Jose again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 16, 2009

We decided to take a spur of the moment trip to San Jose, unfortunately we got stuck in a traffic mess that took 5 hours to clear up and that landed us in San Jose at 3am and to top it off there was a convention in the area and every hotel was fully booked. Ended up staying here for $99 and we were only there from 3am to 10 am ! It was horrible, I didn't even want to take my shoes off or even sleep on the bed, but the bed was cleaner than the floor thank goodness. I now plan my trips far ahead of time !

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank SoCalTravelingWifey
Reviewed May 8, 2008

This "Motel" has really gone downhill. Stayed here 4 years ago and it was fine. The pool then was nicely heated (in Feb) and the hot tub worked great. Although they still advertise both of these as amenities on their website and printed materials don't believe it.

We booked here in Feb 2008 based on our previous stay. We asked for a queen room near the pool since we had enjoyed it so much last time. On check-in we were told no queen rooms were available near pool but for an extra fee we could have a king room. We agreed to the extra charge to be near the pool but were not told the pool was unheated (turned out to be ice cold) and that the hot tub was neither working or hot. After gettling our stuff to the room and checking the pool right away we brought up the situation with the front desk clerk and requested we not have to pay the extra charge for the room or to be switched to the cheaper room originally booked. We were then given a tall story and the run around. That situation was never settled to our satisfaction. Why would we request a room near a pool and hot tub area and agree to pay extra for it if we didn't plan to use them. Therefore why not tell us they were not heated (as advertised) or even in working order.

Since we now were not going to be using the pool we began to settle in to the room and began finding many unsettling things. I'll just list the many problems here and say that they were all brought up with the desk clerk and we asked again for another room. We were then told the place was booked up. Strange thing was there were only about 6 cars in the paring lot of a motel that I believe has about 80 rooms and it was 8 at night. Here's a list of just what we found without trying, look at the pictures and you'll see for yourself:

-2 of 4 Lamps not working and in bad condition.
-Large strange painted patch on wallpapered wall.
-Beds and pillows hard.
-Burn hole on blanket up by pillows.
-Piece of dry pet food on floor behind bathroom door.
-Problems with toilet flushing.
-Dirt /dust in carpet corners in highly visible area (sink area between bedroom and bathroom)
-Furniture damaged/ badly maintained.
-Tissue dispenser (see picture).
-Valve under sink leaking onto carpet floor. Carpet badly stained and very wet in entire sink area.

All in all the room and motel in general was badly maintained and cleaned. To top it off they would not accept the Vagabucks which they still advertise and claimed that they did not use them anymore. There was also a lot of loud talking, screaming and laughing going on outside all through the night. If they din't already have our credit card information (the room was basically paid for) we would have left and found another place even at 8 or 9 at night rather than give our money for this.

We contacted Vagabond "Guest Relations" by email and by phone answering machine was all I could get) and sent in a written report. None of these was responded to although I specifically requested a response. We definitely will not stay at this place again and due to the lack of reponse will not stay at any other Vagabond in the future although we have stayed at several in the past. There were other strange things about this stay but I will not go into anymore here. We are not used to luxury hotels by any means and don't expect it but we expect what is advertised, to be treated fairly and honestly, and to have a clean reasonably well maintained place to stay. This was not the case here. If you need to stay in San Jose look elsewere. There's a Motel 6 I believe just up the street that we passed the next morning which looked better than this place. Several other places (maybe more money) are in the area as well.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Exceed my expectations. Staffs are friendly, Great value. Spacious, feel save, free wireless, clean, great free take away breakfast but everything is a bit old. Make the purchase through Trip advisor may save you only ard $5-8 dollars, coz they will charge you for their service fee. If you decide to stay one more night at the hotel, then you need to pay the full fee which is ard $69. So if you like to stay few more days, pay them all through the internet.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Kevn
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I liked the fact that this inn was near the airport, and had a denny's in the parking lot, such a convenience when you arrive after midnight and need something quick. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I really felt safe hear, too.
I would go there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2006

There was much unnecessary confusion regarding our room. Other guests were given a key-card to our room and walked in while we were sleeping. Our key-card was de-activated causing us to be locked out of our room. I was required to make several extra trips to the front desk during our stay to get things figured out. Employees were friendly, but unorganized. The appearance of our room was okay aside from mildew in the bathroom. Although the Vagabond Inn is close to so many attractions, we will definitely spend the extra cash to stay elsewhere when we are in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed July 4, 2005

This place was ok to stay at. It was a little older and could use some remodeling, but the bed was big and the shower was large. I thought it was close to the Great America, but we actually were further away than I had hoped. The pool was heated which was nice and there was plenty of space for all my things. The staff was nice and polite. There was a Denny's next door which was good. We ordered pizza from a pamphlet that was in the hotel room and it was delicious. It could use a little bit of updating to make it a nice place. For the most part it was ok.

1  Thank casabear