“Best Birthday Present Ever!”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Jose, California
“Best Birthday Present Ever!”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I had the best time at the Fairmont in San Jose, Ca.
I stayed here because is located in downtown San Jose, close to all the entretainment.
The rooms are nice and clean.
The suites are cleaned two times per day.
The bed and pillows are so comfortable.
The room services courteous.
Great Security.
I would recomend to all my friends and family...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_gurro
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are very glad that you found our rooms clean, nice, and most importantly our pillows and bed comfortable.
We are so happy that you had a wonderful birthday with us. We hope to welcome you again in the near future. Please do let us know should there be anything that we can do for you.

Joanne Tan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This year for New Years Eve, I decided to spend it in San Jose (opposed to San Francisco, which I tend to do every year), so my boyfriend booked us an overnight room at the Fairmont San Jose. With the number of hotels in Downtown San Jose, we thought the Fairmont would be the best choice due to its very central location... And thankfully we chose this hotel!
Besides the great location, it was the impeccable service from the staff that made the stay worth wild. Despite it being a busy New Years Eve night, we were able to check in and pick up our room key with ease. And even with the craziness of the night, the front desk agents helped my boyfriend and I with a positive and friendly attitude, which I really appreciated (considering its easy to get annoyed when you have dozens of drunk people running around).

Since I have never been in this hotel, an employee (another front desk agent, I think) escorted me personally to the elevator when I was lost, even when he seemed to be in a hurry. When I got to my floor, ANOTHER employee walked me to my room when I couldn't find it. Again, with a great and friendly attitude.

Besides the great customer service, the hotel itself was elegant and our room was clean, just like the quality you would expect from the Fairmont branch. I really appreciate great customer service, so I would definitely rate the hotel 5/5 stars based off of that. I look forward to my next stay at the Fairmont in San Jose if any other special events may take place there. Thank you Fairmont SJ for making my NYE a great one!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, California
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We spent a weekend at The Fairmont Hotel San Jose in mid-December, 2010. Our suite was spacious, clean and overlooked the park, which was decorated with hundreds of beautifully decorated Christmas trees. From the moment we arrived, the employees were friendly and helpful. Upon entering the hotel, we were greeted with a beautifully decorated Christmas lobby and step down lounge. It was obvious that our comfort and needs were a priority with each employee we encountered. There are several different restaurants to choose from at the hotel and all of our meals there were wonderful. The hotel is located near shopping, museums, transportation, theaters and the HP Pavillion. All in all, it was a fabulous experience and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PJC1473
Oxnard, California
Reviewed March 8, 2011

booked a stay with them very last minute.. friends from out of town had surprised me by showing up to my doorstep... not having seen them for a long time i decided to find a hotel in downtown that's close to everything.. ended up booking a night at fairmont. called to make reservation and it was a bit pricey BUT not bad for booking the same day. got to the hotel and checked in and guess what?!?!?! we got a free upgrade. ended up getting a suite.. woot woot!!! love the service. love the location.. and love the views... thanks fairmont staff!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vincentroyo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I had a prepaid reservation at this Hotel for two nights. We had informed them we were coming in late from Cleveland and all I wanted to do when we arrived at 23:50 was to be greeted with a smile and given my room key. Simple needs. It seems that this hotel does not do simple, it does not smiling, it does not honour reservations and it certainly does not give good service.

On arrival, I was toild I had to have a "parlour room" - one without a bathroom. Why? Well, they told me that some of their residents wanted to stay another night. OK, this was fine as long as it was just one night and I got a real room tomorrow. My colleague who was in line behind me was asked if he had heard what I had been told, only to then be told he was being taxi'd to another hotel 10 miles away....or he could have a Z-bed in my room. No other options. Also, there was no hint of an apology for what this hotel was putting us through. My colleague opted to go to the other hotel but asked that a taxi was arranged to get him back to the hotel for 6am the next day as we had a business meeting with an important client over breakfast at 7am.

Once my colleague had left, I had some good news. I was being given the "Presidential Suite", room 2005. I excitedly got my key and went up to the room, only to find I was not the only person who had this room and the current occupant was quite alarmed (quite rightly, I had just walked into his bedroom) at me entering to room. After calming him down, I said I would go back to the front desk and sort this out. Guess what, I got another room. All they did was give me a new key and I was told to go to a different room. The word Sorry is clearlt not in this hotel's vocabulary.

The next day, I asked to see the manager. I did not want anything (well, I did. I wanted them to just acknowledge my plight and say sorry) but I wanted to let them know that they had let me and my colleage down. The manager was not available but would come to my room to discuss. I never had that conversation despite chasing at the front desk on a few occasions. Either they do not have a manager, they have one that is so incompetant or they simply do not care about the well being of their guests.

Beleive it or not, I was told by one of the many straight faced front desk operatives that the reason our reservations were not honoured was because "they do not like asking guests to leave their hotel"....well, what exactly did they do to my colleague who had to go elsewhere?

Could this have been a one off? I very much doubt it. I am a seasoned traveller and have stayed in many hotels around the world. Whenever a good hotel makes a mistake, they always go the extra mile to make amends or fix the issue. I am afraid to say, I conclude that this hotel is not a good hotel.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE NICE WEBSITE AND VERY GRAND LOBBY. THIS HOTEL DOES NOT VALUE THEIR GUESTS AT ALL AND I DOUBT THEY WILL VALUE YOU IF YOU CHOOSE THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank TravelMiles125
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Sir,
First off, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose and for taking the time to give us a feedback on your recent experience with us. Your business truly is important to us and I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I read the posting. I would like to assure you that we take all comments and concerns from our guests very seriously and yours is no exception. We sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced above and I can assure you that the instances stated do not coincide with Fairmont’s promise of excellent service. I would love to be able to discuss your recent experience more in depth and would truly appreciate it if you can email me directly at joanne.tan@fairmont.com. I hope you can give us a chance to make things better for you.

PR Manager
lafayette
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I've stayed at the Fairmont San Jose once before for this annual business event and had a neutral experience. Just like the previous year, our room was in good condition, was large enough for our purposes, and had the extra amenities like an in-room coffee maker that makes this trip easier every year.

However this year I ran in to 2 problems that will prevent me from returning to the Fairmont for business ever again. The first is that myself and my colleagues were placed in a room with mold in it. We were not warned ahead of time, and we only found the health warning plaque on our last day there. No wonder two of us felt sick only when we returned to the room for the night! If any of us had asthma or another breathing issue, the mold would have been very dangerous to our health.

The second issue is that an item went missing from our room, I assumed housekeeping took it with the sheets on accident. I would not hold it against them (these things happen), but when I called to get some help in finding said item the hotel denied having even been in our room to clean it that day. Even after I explained that one of my colleagues was in the room when housekeeping came (he even tipped them), they continued to deny our room was cleaned that day. When I checked out I wanted compensation for said item, and was denied it. They understandably needed a receipt of the item to know what it was worth, but they made no effort to make it better for me on any level.

The Fairmont would be an ok place to stay if they were more considerate towards their guests. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone staying for a large business gathering, or for longer than a couple of days.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank eskiworks
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us.
Please know that we are very concerned with your most recent experience with us and would like to know more details about it. I would like to assure you that what you have written does not conform to the The Fairmont Hotel San Jose's standards of customer service. We would like to request for an opportunity to rectify the situation. If you can please email me directly at joanne.tan@fairmont.com so we can be in touch and discuss things further.

Once again, thank you very much!

Public Relations Manager
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Hotel worthy of its 4 star rating. Good staff, clean rooms, nice furnishing, comfortable bed, comfy bath robes, and good temperature control. Close to lots of restaurants, Movie Theater, and even ice skating next door. One drawback was the $26 valet parking but that was taken care of by parking a block away in a city parking lot. The other was that annoying thing some upper end hotels like to do which is to charge you for internet connection. That was taken care of by the staff to sign me up for the frequent guest program – the Presidents Club which made it no cost. Over all a great stay and would definitely stay here again especially for low price I got on Hotwire.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business