“Elegance in the heart of San Jose”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Waukegan, Illinois
“Elegance in the heart of San Jose”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I'm from Chicago and travel out to San Jose for business. I always stay at this hotel because its elegant, clean, lively, and in a great location. The restaurants are terrific, and it is nice to have clients meet me there, so I don't have to drive around. There is live music on most evenings and a martini menu that is irresistible! Parking is pricey at $26 a night. Tip - If you sign up online to become part of the President's Club (free) your internet fees are comped. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This is our sixth stay at the Fairmont, but we have not stayed here in 4 years. As long time Presidents Club members, we were saddened to see how things have declined. We booked a Cabana Room, because the last time we stayed there, it provided such a nice private patio. We were amazed to see that the privacy gate had been removed, making our private patio wide open. As far as our room: Why would the mini bar be in the bedroom, and the wet bar in the foyer? Why is there a coffee maker in the vanity area? Love those lit makeup mirrors. If the light worked. Love the idea of a TV in the bathroom. If it worked. Every night I had to call housekeeping for wine and drinking glasses as they were never replaced. The toilet had to be flushed 3 times after each use. I treated myself to a blow dry at the hotel salon - and was shocked to find out I couldn't charge it to my room - the same with an on-site hotel restaurant.

Such a pity, because for years this was a lovely property.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
South Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2010

For a Fairmont Hotel this is bottom of the barrel! The beds are aweful you can feel the springs poping thru when we asked the management about that they said all the beds are the same! While i was checking in...my husband had arranged for a massage for me at the Tova Day Spa, and when we tried to use the coupon the hotel gave us for the spa the next day...the Tova spa said, we can't honor that $25.00 off coupon the owner is not here. Left our name and number and Haven't heard anything! Heads up! the $210.00 massage I recieved was amatuer to say the best! I have stayed at Fairmonts and St Regis hotels and used there spa and this one was comparable to a Massage envy (massage's for $40.00). Don't waste your money. Oh Yeah and it's $26.00 a day to park your car for Hotel guest!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Fairmont Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay and everything was in walking distance. The room was spacious and clean, the beds were simply comfortable. I would recommend all my friends and difinitely come back again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Lissa50
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We moved our daughter onto campus housing at nearby Santa Clara University and Fairmont has a special Santa Clara Rate that makes this trip even better. We have done this each year. We stayed in 1487 in the Tower. We enjoyed drinks in the bar area and had a dinner at The Grill. All the services and personnel were friendly and competent. This is the only place we stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MangoChetney
oregon
Reviewed September 21, 2010

The room was available at noon for an early check in. It was on the 18th floor, quiet, and had a great view. The bed and linens were perfect. Enjoyed swimming in the heated outdoor pool. The Grill and The Fountain service and food was wonderful. The Grill waitress recomended an excellent wine and entree. The hotel also had discounts available for the resturants and the Spa. The Spa was fully booked, but the Spa staff was able to recomend several excellent products. It is in a central location. Overall I highly recomend the San Jose Fairmont.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
California
Reviewed August 29, 2010

A friend and I were there on a very busy weekend, during the Jazz Festival. Despite the fact that there were lots of people, we never felt crowded or waited too long for anything. Everyone on the staff was helpful and friendly and greeted us with a smile. We enjoyed live music in the lobby bar on Thursday night while having small bites and cocktails. They have over 500 martinis on their bar list, which made us very happy! The pool on the 4th floor deck was clean, comfortable and it was great to lay out and watch the airplanes fly over.

The room was large, clean and had a nice view of the foothills. The bathroom was good sized with a separate vanity counter outside, which is great for two girls getting ready to go out. Big, plush robes were provided, as were the softest, fluffiest bath towels I've ever used. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. I always travel with my own pillow because I usually find hotel pillows unbearable. I didn't need it here.

I booked this room on Priceline and got an amazing deal. After I booked the room, from other reviewer's suggestions, I went to the Fairmont website and joined the president's club. This free membership got us compimentary pool/gym access, a club member check-in line, free wifi and some other perks. Since I did not book directly through the hotel, I did call them to make sure it was noted on my reservation that I was a club member. They were happy to do that and didn't give me any kind of attitude about the fact that I booked the cheap-o way.

The reasons I didn't give this a 5 star rating: No free wifi (unless you're a club member). In this day and age, I have a problem with any hotel charging for this service, especially high-end hotels. Even Best Western provides free wifi. And, though I know it is the going rate for the area, if I had paid full price for the room, I don't think I should have to pay $26/day for parking.

I loved this hotel and am going to think of another reason to go to San Jose just so I can stay there again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends