“Nice, with some minor improvements”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Homer Glen, IL
“Nice, with some minor improvements”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I frequent San Jose for business, and this was my second time staying at this hotel. I know I will get some generic auto-response from hotel management, but it is what it is and I'll go ahead and list my suggestions anyway. As usual, I do my reviews by category.

Check-in: Simple, quick, and the women helping me was very friendly.

Room- Clean, but furniture could use some updating as there was some noticeable wear and tear on the chair, bathroom, and lamp shades. Beds are comfy!

Ridiculous Fees- There's an extra fee for everything. Ordering room service? Mysterious 22% fee added on to the bill which does not include the tip. Dare to take anything from the mini-bar? 18% "restocking" fee on top of the ridiculous price for beverage. I think it was around $12 for one of those mini 1.5 ounce bottles of booze that you can get for free on a Southwest flight. Want to eat one of the fun-sized snack boxes of pretzels or cheese snacks located under the TV? $14. Yes. $14 for a 5 ounce mini box of pretzels. Do people even buy any of these? Oh, and parking was $26/day.

Staff- everyone was incredibly nice. Everyone from the room service/kitchen staff, valet, and front desk.They were definitely courteous, professional, and seemed to be always smiling, which makes me enjoy visiting this location.

Location- Downtown San Jose. Close to a ton of restaurants. I'm usually by myself on business so it's great to run down and grab something. It has a great European bakery attached to the adjacent tower, which can be accessed from the outside. I stayed in the tower both times. It really didn't make a difference to me and access to the outside seemed quicker than if you stayed in the main building.

All in all, it is a very nice hotel for the area. My next trip to San Jose will most likely be spent here again. I just wish they would tone down on the ridiculous fees. No, I will not spend $14 on cheese snacks. I don't care how much I love myself and think I deserve them.

1 Thank ashleyxmarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Petaluma
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Excellent clean property within walking distance (less than 1 mile) from SAP Center. High end rooms, comfortable beds and outstanding bathroom and shower. Good package price for $150 on a Saturday night including valet parking and breakfast for two.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontSanJose, Customer Service Representative at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello,
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the experience staying with us during the Sharks Playoff Game. Hopefully, you had a chance to enjoy all of our amenities. We will see you next season!

We thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Soquel
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Sadly from a small corner room without enough room to swing a cat after having paid for an upgraded room - to floor towels missing in bathroom which of course you only figure out as you step into shower. In a lesser hotel for $100 a night, no big deal - but at the fairmont for over $300 - hmm, would i go there again - im not sure. Was our favorite hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. We would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to our Director of Operations, Lisa Ares, at your earliest convenience. You may directly contact her at Lisa.Ares@fairmont.com . We are looking forward to improve our service through your recommendations.
Lithia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel is very clean and the rooms are very comfortable. The location is ideal. The food was vert good at the restaurant and the staff was very friendly. I would definetly reccomned this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in San Jose.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontSanJose, Customer Service Representative at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your great review and being a great advocate for our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your trip in San Jose and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The rooms are very dated and basic. Service at front desk was unpredictable, waited forever at check-in for no reason and the front desk ignored me but checkout was fast. Pool was under construction so it was closed. Location is very convenient and lobby bar looked nice although I didn't use it.

1 Thank googinsg
Hello,
We are sorry to have disappointed you during your recent visit. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please reach out to our Director of Operations, Lisa Ares, at your earliest convenience. You can directly contact her at Lisa.Ares@fairmont.com . We are looking forward to improve our service through your recommendations.
Thank you again for your feedback.
N. California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed in The Fairmont, San Jose for 2 nights this weekend. When we arrived, the bellman greeted us nicely, and then when he saw my daughter they kicked it up a notch and gave her a flower and a lion balloon animal! I know those balloons aren't expensive, but the gesture started the whole stay off on the right foot and my daughter played with them the rest of the stay (she even danced around the lobby with her flower balloon during check-in). Nearly everyone we encountered were friendly and professional.
Our suite was great, had a living area, dining table, and separate bedroom with a huge bathroom. Everything was in pretty good condition, I do think they're do for a shower remodel. My back wasn't stoked on the bed, my wife didn't complain. I thought it dipped down in the middle...maybe it was just my side or something...
We ordered room service, they were friendly, prompt, and the food was pretty good.
The breakfast in the Fountain restaurant is just ok. Honestly, for the price/quality I'd skip it and go to Bill's or somewhere else for breakfast. Service is just ok (outside of the hostess' who were great), the food was average to below average (pancakes weren't great, hash was lousy, my wife said her benedicts were ok, we've had brunch, and some things were decent, but not worth the price).

Hello,
We are truly glad to hear that you enjoyed your Fairmont experience during your family trip.
Furthermore, we really appreciate your feedbacks and give us the opportunity to improve.
Thanks again for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Sparks
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great hotel for all. Great location. Good food options in the hotel and I the general area. The bed was comfortable the amenities provided in the room were 5 star. Great location for San Francisco Giants and the Forty Niners.

Hello,
Thank you for your wonderful review and being a great advocate for our hotel! We can't wait to welcome you back! See you soon!
We really appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor