“Thanks for ruining my wife's birthday”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Northern California
“Thanks for ruining my wife's birthday”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked a poolside room with private patio at the Fairmont San Jose over the Labor Day weekend, to celebrate my wife's birthday and enjoy some rest and relaxation.

We had no prior knowledge that when we arrived to check in, we would not be able to utilize the pool and patio to our full enjoyment. At check-in, we found a flyer the hotel was distributing to guests, explaining we would not be able to use the pool and adjacent grill for much of that Sunday.

The hotel had booked an "event" for that day that involved the use of at least "four" disc jockeys, which said to us that there would be a very large, VERY loud pool party. Even if we were 10% interested in attending this party - and we weren't - the hotel wanted to charge hotel guests $25 a head.

The only alternative was to take the hotel's private car over to the San Jose Marriott to use their pool. Really, if we wanted to sit by the pool at the Marriott, we would have *stayed* at the Marriott! To trudge downstairs from our room and get in a car to visit some other hotel pool is absolutely ridiculous.

We declined the reservation. So much for the weekend.

I wrote Kelley Cosgrove, the general manager. I explained that my wife wasn't interested in staying there anymore. I also explained that perhaps the Fairmont should take steps to inform incoming guests who booked poolside rooms in advance that they would not be able to use the pool facilities. I am certain that the hotel knew far in advance of this event. Even a week or two in advance would have been helpful.

Never heard back from the hotel. So much for their customer service. We won't be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cyberchomp
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello,
First, we apologize for the lack of communication prior to your check-in and we also apologize for ruining your special occasion for you and your wife.
Our General Manager, Kelley Cosgrove, did not receive your previous messages until now. She would like to discuss with you further about the incident. Please contact Tamara Mienders, our Executive Assistant to the General Manager, to set up a time for the discussion. You can reach her at Tamara.mienders@fairmont.com
marshall.jones@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Venice, Florida
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the Fairmont for a convention first off the location to the convention center is good but the walk over is riddled with aggressive bums drunks and panhandlers , in the park and on the street , being yelled and cussed at every morning on the walk over , was uncalled for and it is obvious that the city does not care about the safety of convention attendees aka (Team San Jose).

Stay at the Hilton or Marriott if attending a convention they are connected to the convention center by skywalk!!!!

As for the hotel my room was large , bed was old and hard , sink was plugged for entire stay after numerous calls to the black hole.

Sink handle had missing parts ,gang logos hand carved into elevator interiors.

Lobby bar is cool and the bistro had good food

Hello,
We thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. Providing exceptional service for our guests is of the utmost importance to us.
I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I use the Fairmont as my base for most business trips involving meetings south of Palo Alto. I have never had a bad room here and there are good options for dinner and breakfast very close to the hotel.

Strangely enough, I have always received consistently great service parking my car and getting it back next morning downstairs in the garage while the reception desk has been far more variable. There are times during the morning checkout rush when there are 3 or 4 people at the desk hanging around while only one person is actually assisting guests.

If you do have a car parked at the hotel, make sure to call ahead so that they have it ready by the time you check out.

On nights when I have to eat dinner by myself, the bakery and the tapas bar next door have served me well for a light dinner. The bakery makes a mean cappuccino to my specs and for that reason alone I stop there in the morning even when I am not staying at the Fairmont.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room here
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Came here for an event being hosted elsewhere in the valley, and although the rooms are looking dated, I was impressed with the staff and service. Went to the bar for a bite to eat, and the girl serving me was great. The Cuban Wings (ok - I'm a sucker for wings - not exactly haut cuisine, but I do like them) were nicely spiced, and were actually like crispy chicken wings in a good Indian curry sauce. The hotel is nicely situated in the centre of San Jose, with museums and shops close by, along with plenty of other eateries.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello,
We are very happy to hear you had such a great experience staying with us. Thank you also for noticing our great location in downtown San Jose and our Cuban Wings!
We can't wait to welcome you back and we thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Crookham Village, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

It's not the worlds best hotel, but it's probably San Jose's best, (certainly as a business hotel).

It does everything it says it will, with a smile.

I'd definitely not hesitate to return and stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello,
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your business trip in San Jose and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Boulder, CO USA
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Fairmont San Jose is still a very good hotel, however, it is tired. It is not up to the standard set by other Fairmont properties, or even by itself in the past. Over the past 15 years, I have stayed at the Fairmont San Jose many times. I am sorry to say that it has not aged well.

Why do I say that it is “tired”? It was a combination of tiny things that I noticed that led me to this conclusion. To begin with, the pillows on the bed must have been old. They were not exactly flat, but they weren’t fluffy as you would expect in a hotel of this caliber. On the chair in the room there was a pillow. The pillow had an animal print on it – or at least it did when it was new. The pillow has been there so long that the print has worn off of the center half. In the bathroom, the cap was missing from one of the sink faucets. The towels were thin – not the plush variety that one would expect. There wasn’t a bathrobe in the room (I don’t use them, but just another example). Walls need to be repainted or cleaned to deal with scuff marks. For me, a virtual trademark of Fairmont hotels is the overnight shoeshine that is offered. That has always seemed like a special luxury. I was disappointed that there was not a shoeshine bag in the room.

I could go on with other things that I noticed, but you probably get the idea. Am I nit picking minor things? Absolutely I am. However, I was staying at a Fairmont and I believe that they deserve to be held to a higher standard than most other hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, September 20, 2013

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I am a fan of the Fairmont hotel chain and have stayed at several of their properties in Canada, US and overseas. Fairmont San Jose is in a great location. 15 mins by cab from the airport. Close (walking distance) to restaurants and bars in the area and tram service behind the hotel. Service is excellent like most Fairmonts. Public areas are pristine. Rooms and washrooms need some updating. Seperate shower and bath. Free internet for FPC members. Bar and bathrobes in room. Lobby bar is excellent with huge projection showing games and live music most nights - great place to get a cocktail after a busy day. I did not try the restaurants. Outdoor pool on the 4th floor (see picture) with some rooms opening to the pool area. The lobby bar converts to a takeout breakfast service in the morning if you are in a hurry with breakfast sandwiches, cappucinos, etc. I would definitely stay again.

Hello,

We are very happy to hear you had such a great experience staying with us. Thank you for noticing our great location in downtown San Jose that is what I keep telling everyone!
We can't wait to welcome you back and we thank you for sharing your experience and photos with everyone on TripAdvisor.