“Excellent business hotel in San Jose”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent business hotel in San Jose”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I use the Fairmont as my base for most business trips involving meetings south of Palo Alto. I have never had a bad room here and there are good options for dinner and breakfast very close to the hotel.

Strangely enough, I have always received consistently great service parking my car and getting it back next morning downstairs in the garage while the reception desk has been far more variable. There are times during the morning checkout rush when there are 3 or 4 people at the desk hanging around while only one person is actually assisting guests.

If you do have a car parked at the hotel, make sure to call ahead so that they have it ready by the time you check out.

On nights when I have to eat dinner by myself, the bakery and the tapas bar next door have served me well for a light dinner. The bakery makes a mean cappuccino to my specs and for that reason alone I stop there in the morning even when I am not staying at the Fairmont.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Came here for an event being hosted elsewhere in the valley, and although the rooms are looking dated, I was impressed with the staff and service. Went to the bar for a bite to eat, and the girl serving me was great. The Cuban Wings (ok - I'm a sucker for wings - not exactly haut cuisine, but I do like them) were nicely spiced, and were actually like crispy chicken wings in a good Indian curry sauce. The hotel is nicely situated in the centre of San Jose, with museums and shops close by, along with plenty of other eateries.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello,
We are very happy to hear you had such a great experience staying with us. Thank you also for noticing our great location in downtown San Jose and our Cuban Wings!
We can't wait to welcome you back and we thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Crookham Village, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

It's not the worlds best hotel, but it's probably San Jose's best, (certainly as a business hotel).

It does everything it says it will, with a smile.

I'd definitely not hesitate to return and stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello,
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your business trip in San Jose and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Boulder, CO USA
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Fairmont San Jose is still a very good hotel, however, it is tired. It is not up to the standard set by other Fairmont properties, or even by itself in the past. Over the past 15 years, I have stayed at the Fairmont San Jose many times. I am sorry to say that it has not aged well.

Why do I say that it is “tired”? It was a combination of tiny things that I noticed that led me to this conclusion. To begin with, the pillows on the bed must have been old. They were not exactly flat, but they weren’t fluffy as you would expect in a hotel of this caliber. On the chair in the room there was a pillow. The pillow had an animal print on it – or at least it did when it was new. The pillow has been there so long that the print has worn off of the center half. In the bathroom, the cap was missing from one of the sink faucets. The towels were thin – not the plush variety that one would expect. There wasn’t a bathrobe in the room (I don’t use them, but just another example). Walls need to be repainted or cleaned to deal with scuff marks. For me, a virtual trademark of Fairmont hotels is the overnight shoeshine that is offered. That has always seemed like a special luxury. I was disappointed that there was not a shoeshine bag in the room.

I could go on with other things that I noticed, but you probably get the idea. Am I nit picking minor things? Absolutely I am. However, I was staying at a Fairmont and I believe that they deserve to be held to a higher standard than most other hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello,
We thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. Providing exceptional service for our guests is of the utmost importance to us.

I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I am a fan of the Fairmont hotel chain and have stayed at several of their properties in Canada, US and overseas. Fairmont San Jose is in a great location. 15 mins by cab from the airport. Close (walking distance) to restaurants and bars in the area and tram service behind the hotel. Service is excellent like most Fairmonts. Public areas are pristine. Rooms and washrooms need some updating. Seperate shower and bath. Free internet for FPC members. Bar and bathrobes in room. Lobby bar is excellent with huge projection showing games and live music most nights - great place to get a cocktail after a busy day. I did not try the restaurants. Outdoor pool on the 4th floor (see picture) with some rooms opening to the pool area. The lobby bar converts to a takeout breakfast service in the morning if you are in a hurry with breakfast sandwiches, cappucinos, etc. I would definitely stay again.

Hello,

We are very happy to hear you had such a great experience staying with us. Thank you for noticing our great location in downtown San Jose that is what I keep telling everyone!
We can't wait to welcome you back and we thank you for sharing your experience and photos with everyone on TripAdvisor.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Room was large and spacious and clean. Loved the terrycloth robes. However, the bathroom was showing some age. May have been just our room as the rest of the hotel common areas were pristine. Lovely pool. I was the only one in it at 3 pm. Be aware of the pricey parking fee. Bus stop was nearby and easy to use to get to Shopping on Santana Row. I was on an business trip here-probably would have stayed at a Marriott if not on a expense account.

Hello,

We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

Danbury, CT
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We got a low rate through a discount travel site, and yet the helpful desk clerk Daniel gave us a very nice, spacious room (1417) in the main South Tower, with windows on two sides and a beautiful mountain view. If you are not on a business expense account there are some ways to beat the extra charges on things like pricey parking, internet and meals, as I'll explain below.

Pros: Large nice rooms, very good beds, great toiletries, clean and very quiet. Fast elevators. Good and courteous service. A large and well equipped gym. Live music (and even dancing by guests) in the evening in the lobby bar and eatery. Overall upscale ambience. Good location for interesting restaurants nearby. Rail station for local travel just behind hotel.

Cons: Few freebies. Expensive parking (only valet at $26 per day). $10 per day for internet access, $7 per bottle for water in room (not marked, so beware). No fridge (except an expensive honor bar) or microwave (they want you to patronize their restaurants.) Below are ways to avoid steep extra charges.

Parking: Outside the hotel there is limited metered parking for $1 per hour, but it's limited to just 1 or 2 hours before you need to move (re-feeding meter won't do per posted warning.) Parking from 6pm till 9am is free but most places close by allow no parking between 3am and 6am so you can't park there overnight. There are garages within 3 blocks that charge a flat rate of just $5 but many start their day at 6am so you essentially pay $10 for overnight parking. The outdoor lot opposite Safeway (153 S. 3rd St) is essentially free from midnight till 8am next day as there's no attendant, and you pay a flat $5 if you keep your car longer than that.

But we did find free overnight street parking on 4th St between E. San Carlos St and E. San Salvador St. Also free (but move your car by 11am next day) on E. William St between 3rd and 4th St. There should be other such places as well.

Internet: It's really simple to apply online for the Fairmont President's Club. You get your membership no. right away and on supplying it at check in your internet is free.

Transport to San Jose Airport, etc.: The local train (VRA, station on 1st St just behind Fairmont) enables you to go to San Jose Airport for $2 with a quick changeover to the free airport shuttle after 6 stops - total time taken is under 30 minutes. You can go all the way to San Francisco by rail for $9 and the unlimited day travel pass costs $18. Of course there's the faster taxi option from the concierge desk - it's about $20 to SJC and good for multiple travelers.

Eating: San Jose Downtown near the hotel was more interesting than we thought, with many good and inexpensive eateries. Many parking garages also accept validation from local restaurants and stores for free parking.

Room Tip: In the Main (South) Tower there are lots of corner rooms, and rooms with wide windows with excellent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple