“Luxury Hotel”

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Room was large and spacious and clean. Loved the terrycloth robes. However, the bathroom was showing some age. May have been just our room as the rest of the hotel common areas were pristine. Lovely pool. I was the only one in it at 3 pm. Be aware of the pricey parking fee. Bus stop was nearby and easy to use to get to Shopping on Santana Row. I was on an business trip here-probably would have stayed at a Marriott if not on a expense account.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Hello,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your business trip in San Jose and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont San Jose

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We got a low rate through a discount travel site, and yet the helpful desk clerk Daniel gave us a very nice, spacious room (1417) in the main South Tower, with windows on two sides and a beautiful mountain view. If you are not on a business expense account there are some ways to beat the extra charges on things like pricey parking, internet and meals, as I'll explain below.

Pros: Large nice rooms, very good beds, great toiletries, clean and very quiet. Fast elevators. Good and courteous service. A large and well equipped gym. Live music (and even dancing by guests) in the evening in the lobby bar and eatery. Overall upscale ambience. Good location for interesting restaurants nearby. Rail station for local travel just behind hotel.

Cons: Few freebies. Expensive parking (only valet at $26 per day). $10 per day for internet access, $7 per bottle for water in room (not marked, so beware). No fridge (except an expensive honor bar) or microwave (they want you to patronize their restaurants.) Below are ways to avoid steep extra charges.

Parking: Outside the hotel there is limited metered parking for $1 per hour, but it's limited to just 1 or 2 hours before you need to move (re-feeding meter won't do per posted warning.) Parking from 6pm till 9am is free but most places close by allow no parking between 3am and 6am so you can't park there overnight. There are garages within 3 blocks that charge a flat rate of just $5 but many start their day at 6am so you essentially pay $10 for overnight parking. The outdoor lot opposite Safeway (153 S. 3rd St) is essentially free from midnight till 8am next day as there's no attendant, and you pay a flat $5 if you keep your car longer than that.

But we did find free overnight street parking on 4th St between E. San Carlos St and E. San Salvador St. Also free (but move your car by 11am next day) on E. William St between 3rd and 4th St. There should be other such places as well.

Internet: It's really simple to apply online for the Fairmont President's Club. You get your membership no. right away and on supplying it at check in your internet is free.

Transport to San Jose Airport, etc.: The local train (VRA, station on 1st St just behind Fairmont) enables you to go to San Jose Airport for $2 with a quick changeover to the free airport shuttle after 6 stops - total time taken is under 30 minutes. You can go all the way to San Francisco by rail for $9 and the unlimited day travel pass costs $18. Of course there's the faster taxi option from the concierge desk - it's about $20 to SJC and good for multiple travelers.

Eating: San Jose Downtown near the hotel was more interesting than we thought, with many good and inexpensive eateries. Many parking garages also accept validation from local restaurants and stores for free parking.

Room Tip: In the Main (South) Tower there are lots of corner rooms, and rooms with wide windows with excellent...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sanevoice
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding over Labor Day weekend. It was a nice, clean hotel but just not up to par with typical Fairmont expectations and quality. The room seemed more comparable to a Hampton Inn, it was somewhat modern and updated but there was nothing luxurious about it. The shower/bathroom was just Ok but I did use their rose body wash and it was nice. The location is great however, right in the heart of downtown San Jose, walking distance to many restaurants and things to do. It is right next to the Museum of Art. The pool seemed really nice although we did not have time to use it with all of the events going on. I do not know if I would return, it is comfortable but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hello,

We thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark.

I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here for several nights on a relocation trip earlier this year. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived.
My husband was upgraded to a King Suite which had a nice view. The room was large and gave us room to stretch out in comfort.
One of the most comfortable beds anywhere.
Being relocated there were sever nice amenities and features that made our stay great. The super big walk in closet was any woman's dream.
I want to thank the entire staff for making my stay wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

We are very happy to hear you and your husband had such an amazing experience staying with us. We can't wait to welcome you back! We thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel with very nicely appointed, spacious room. Only down side to the room is that the air conditioning did not work very well (Rm 1201), even on the highest settings. Good thing it was not a super hot day. Upon check in, we found the front desk to be a bit indifferent. We were there on a special offer pkg and found that our food credit was not applied, so we ended up having to call the accounting department to have the credit applied later. The front desk should have taken care of entering the credit in the system at check in.The last downer was the valet parking. After calling down from our room as instructed, we were told that the car would be ready in 10-15 min. No one said to check in at the counter when we got downstairs, so we waited and waited, only to find out that we should have checked in at the counter to get into the que. Why didn't you say so on the phone?! 35 minutes later, we got our car. Overall, we had a nice stay and hopefully, the few minor annoyances are not the norm. I think management should make sure employees are trained to give Fairmont caliber service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose. I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours. Your business truly is important to us.

I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My room was nicely updated. It had a calm, relaxing effect. I liked the fact that the bathroom had marble counter tops and floors. The carpet was short (better for anyone with allergies). It had a soothing color scheme thruout. The hotel also had ample, working elevators. The front desk staff was friendly and a few were exceptionally nice. The concierge was extremely helpful and answered my many questions, esp. concerning public transportation to the various places that I wanted to see. My advice to anyone who has problems with their hotel card key: if after having a 2nd set of keys made (and it doesn't work), have the engineer check out the door lock. I had to go up and down 4 or more round trips from my hotel door to the front desk and I found a hotel employee who took the door lock apart. I also had trouble with the shower water temperature. It would (one its own without touching it) get from hot to cold to very hot with each shower. Also I had trouble with the room thermostat. When I had the engineer get the heater working (when it got cold) then during the day (even after setting the thermostat to air conditioner, it would not work. I'm sure those problems would be fixed for future guests but the staff, esp. the front desk staff, again was so pleasant that I even extended my stay and I would Most DEFINITELY stay at the hotel again!!! They are the ICING on the cake!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hello,

We would like to thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor. Furthermore, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you had faced during your stay with us. Your review allows us to find opportunities for improvement on our property.

If you have any additional suggestions, I would love to discuss your experience in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Grabbed a priceline rate bacause I had a business colleague staying there. Room rate was great. But, Room sucked. Was on the same floor as the catering office and conf rooms. Probably updated last in 1999 or was it 1982 . . . Had a view of an alley with a building about 30 feet away. Awful. Room smelled of kitchen exhaust all night. Gross. Don't get suckered into a low rate thinking you will get Fairmont treatment. Enough said. Sheraton 4 points next door is much more pleasant for same price.

Room Tip: Book a real rate from Fairmont--not hotwire/priceline-and I'm sure you'd get a much better r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business