“Old-World Class, California Style”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Waco, Texas
“Old-World Class, California Style”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here of several days. Everything about The Fairmount exudes substance, style, and understated elegance. The staff was not just professional, but actually friendly, and I was really impressed with the concierge desk. My room was great, too -- spacious, decorated in light neutral colors that never grow old, and so uncluttered it bordered on bare. The ladies will appreciate the dressing table with a full-size Hollywood-style lighted mirror. It even made IMHOGuy look good!

The bathroom was an awesome sea of marble, with separate tub, shower, and water closet. About twice the size of the average hotel bathroom, it could easily be shared by a couple. It was equipped with huge towels (bath sheets, really) and terry bathrobes.

I was fortunate to have an east-facing room, with a nice view of downtown and the mountains beyond -- much better than the west side, where you would be looking at the planes that fly uncomfortably close to downtown on their approach to the airport.

I did see a few signs that this beauty queen of a hotel is aging a bit -- scuffed-up baseboards, dingy shower grout, thin sheets, a few things like that. And I was much less impressed with the meeting rooms. They were attractive, but the smaller rooms and corridors are on the perimeter of the ballrooms, which makes for a lot of walking. And I never did completely learn to navigate it, so the signage needs to be improved. The chairs, in which I got to sit for hours on end, were quite mediocre -- disappointing in such a classy hotel, in a city fairly dripping with money. I should mention, though, that the location is terrific. It is across the street from the art and science museums; an easy walk to lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and movie theaters; and right on the light rail line that runs to the airport. I don't think you could do much better than that, in San Jose or anywhere else. So if you get a chance to experience The Fairmont San Jose, take it.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Recently stayed here while visiting Santa Clara University with my daughter and wife. Beautiful hotel, attentive staff, perfect location for restaurants, shopping and other attractions in the San Jose/Santa Clara area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Rooms and bathrooms are clean. Beds and pillows are nice and comfy. Lots of tv stations available. Decent gym. Location is excellent. Tons to do and endless places to eat and shop within walking distance. Primary downside is they nickel and dime everything. CHECK YOUR BILL! I never even opened minibar door and was charged for items. Be sure to join loyalty program to get free internet. But be prepared for it to feel like free internet as it's very slow.

1 Thank Sunnydove
La Verne, California
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel and in no way it is dirty or rundown. I gave an average rating because of it's service and the overall experience at this hotel. First of all, we stayed on the 6th floor. The room was clean, the beds were comfy, the linens were crisp and clean. The biggest disappointment was the shower. The water was so hot, you literally had to turn it almost off to get warm water. Not only was it cooler but the water pressure was almost gone because it was getting turned off. To run the shower at its full power, it had to be on the really hot water. This may be good for those who really like burning, scalding water on your skin but for those of us who like mild showers, not so much. The issue in the room was the plug in the vanity area. The plug for my flat iron kept falling out and it was very annoying that I couldn't use that outlet. I was sharing a room with a co-worker so I didn't want to impede on her space.

The final thing was the icing on the cake. The last night we were there, there was a group of ladies celebrating some type of party. Don't know if it was a bachelorette party or birthday celebration, who knows and I don't care. What I did care about was the excessive noise coming from their room. Let me put their excessive noise in perspective. In many hotels, you can hear people walk down the hallway. Where they walk loud or are talking, you can hear them. At the Fairmont, we didn't hear anyone. The noise in this neighboring room was so loud, you could hear the music, their conversations, and their loudness. I called the hotel at least two different times. I also did the death stare at them when they were spilling out of their room to go somewhere. Early in the evening they were loud and it was around 6:00pm, since we were going to an event at the hotel, we didn't think much of it because we were going to an event and were going to be back around 9:00pm. We figured they were getting ready to go out and they were loud in their party prep time. I didn't complain at this time.

My co-worker and I came back from the dinner around 8:30pm and they were leaving. The hallway smelled like smoke and it was even questionable to even it was cigarette smoke, if you can catch drift. My co-worker hungout by the door waiting for them to leave while I slyly pretended pick up my wallet and fix my heels. As they walked by the door some of the females said sorry in a smart alleckly way. My co-worker looked at each other and hoped it was the last time we hear of them. I called the front counter to report the questionable cigarette smell. I don't know what the hotel did at that point.

My co-worker went to bed around 10pm because we had to catch an early flight back home. Around 12:30am, their party atmosphere woke us up and I was fed up with them. I called the front counter again and I told him what was going on. I did hear someone knock on their door several times. To make a long story short, this loud group did not get kicked out. I don't know what policies The Fairmont has on room parties, but my expectation was the group was going to get kicked out. My co-worker had trouble sleeping the entire night.

So... The Fairmont San Jose left me with a lukewarm experience. I will add the positives, it is within walking distance to restaurants, the convention center, the Tech Museum, the San Jose Basilica, a delicious bakery cafe (Bijan), the museum of art, and the train service. No complaints in those departments.

There is not hotel shuttle service to the airport. You have to pay a taxi. Our taxi ride was $16.00 at 7:30am in morning on a Saturday. You can take the train for only $2.00 bucks but it requires a transfer to a bus shuttle which I have done before and it was fun. You do need to give yourself some time, but if you want to use public transportation and save some money, the option is available to you.

I really like San Jose and the silicon valley so I wil be back, just maybe not at the Fairmont.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. Providing exceptional service and a safe environment for our guests is of utmost importance to us.

Marshall Jones
Director of Sales and Marketing
marshall.jones@fairmont.com
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My daughter, her friend and I stayed at the Fairmont San Jose over the Spring Break holiday while we were checking out colleges. Our stay was fine. We walked in around 11pm on a Friday with a wedding quality band blaring and people dancing on the postage stamp sized dance floor in the lobby. Our two double bedded room was big enough to accomodate three adults. The beds promoted a comfortable sleep. The bathroom was big enough to accomodate three women with their "products." It's great to have the Fairmont signature separate tub and shower. Service was awesome. The rooms need updating though. The hotel was a great value compared to the Fairmont in San Francisco, though - $178 vs $400.

Room Tip: Loved our view from the 19th floor - ask for a high floor.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter and mother while we were in town for a concert at the HP Pavillion. The area is nice, the lobby is beautiful but the rooms are standard with nothing special. Staff is very friendly and the room was very clean, but dated and in need of some TLC. The bathrooms are very nice with a seperate tub and shower, but the shower is rather small and nowhere to put your shampoo, soap, etc. We were there for one night and it was fine.

There are several restuarnts within walking distance from the hotel. We even decicded to walk to the HP Pavaillion, which took us about 20 minutes. I am glad we did becuase traffic to the concert was terrible and I would imagine it would have been much worse leaving. Plus parking there is expensive and can be distant.

Our walk back at 11:30 PM was fine until about 4 blocks from the hotel. There are a lot of homeless and drunks wandering around, nothing that we couldn't handle but be aware of walking around after dark.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Let me start by saying the Fairmont has a prime location in the heart of San Jose, with a picturesque fountain right across from the entrance to the hotel. The attention to detail though and certain elements of service were sorely lacking. The Lobby is very pretty, but one of the first things I noticed is the clock behind the Front Desk is stopped. It was this way upon arrival and upon departure and is the only visible clock in the Lobby. I decided to use Bell Service and my bags arrived about ten minutes after checking in, and during that wait I noticed a spot on the sheets that looked like blood. I asked the Bellman if he could have Housekeeping come in and change the sheets, and after about 20 minutes had passed I called to see if the message had been relayed. I was assured it had been and shortly afterwards a housekeeper arrived. When I showed her the stain, she paused and gave me a look that said "you really want me to change the sheets because of this?" Clean sheets are something you should not have to ask for. I understand accidents happen, but the reaction from the housekeeper made what could have been an easy recovery more frustrating. Our room overlooked a rooftop to the left of the pool area, upon which I noticed multiple broken bottles. It appeared as if the hotel was either understaffed or they had lost a sense of pride in the cleanliness of their property. In walking around the pool area, I also noticed some trash cans overflowing. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Shower pressure was great too. The Fairmont is billed as one of, if not the nicest hotel in the center of San Jose. With this in mind, I left with a distinct feeling of disappointment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Marshall Jones