“Location is wonderful, room was enormous”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 18, 2012

As a solo business traveller, the room was enormous and the bathroom ridiculously large! I really appreciated the impressive pressure in the shower. The room was standard business chic, quiet though it was across the hall from the elevators. I stayed in room 587 in the second tower. There is a zipcar lot up the block, several decent restaurants around. The breakfast is ridiculously expensive in the hotel restaurant, but the train displays on the way are very distracting.

Room Tip: ask for a room with windows on two sides
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in our South Tower, and were impressed by your room. We would love to welcome you back for your next business or personal stay in San Jose.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont San Jose

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Fairmont in downtown San Jose and was blown away with the breathtaking lobby. The incredible staff and the hustle and bustle of the winterfest going on in the streets! The decor is opulent in this Christmas season and the gingerbread house was a site to behold along with Christmas trees and crackers the size of full grown adults. The music in the sunken down lounge in the center lobby was easy on the ears and inviting and the lounge is cozy and warm. The rooms are well kept and mini bar is stocked. Overall it was a wonderful but too short a stay, I hope to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It sounds like you had a great stay, and really got to take advantage of downtown's special winter activities. We can't wait to welcome you back.

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice hotel if a bit boring. Everything in the hotel was beige, not much character. My room was a very nice size. Bathroom was big. It was nice to have a separate vanity outside of the bathroom so that you don't have to wait to get ready if someone else is in the bathroom. Having the cafe/bakery nearby with outdoor seating is a plus. The pool area was great. We were there over a weekend and were surprised that the pool was not packed. Enjoyed a quiet sunny day almost to ourselves. This hotel would be fine if attending a meeting but not much to do in town on a weekend. It was mostly a ghost town even though it is downtown. Overall, this is an ok hotel, just nothing memorable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Roastduck90
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went for a quick family getaway with friends. Upon making reservations, my friend requested connecting rooms. When we checked in, we asked about connecting rooms, but were told none were available but we were close to one another. When asked what happened to our request, we were told they didn't know what happened. So our teen agers and us spend the entire time running across the hallway...our door happened to bang really hard. This was a VERY big inconvenience since we spend a lot of time drinking and eating in one room instead of being able to have the connecting room and sharing the entire space.

The rooms were on the small side, but clean. Bathrooms were spacy and we enjoyed the separation of the tub and shower. However, do be careful about moving the snacks in the bar. My daughter just picked up a snack and put it right back, there was a charge, but it was removed on check out when we complained about not having connecting rooms. In addition the wifi was comped. I still don't understand how a hotels charge for wifi, this should be included. Anyway, we were not in the main tower, but a side one. Cards are needed to get into the tower as well as to operate the elevators. However, there is no security or hotel personnel in that lobby. So anyone could follow a guest with a card, but I guess this could happen in the main building (or any other hotel) as well.

Lobbies were well maintained and lit. Nice sunken bar area upon entering the main building. Can't rate the restaurants in the hotel as we went out to other establishments. My husband did the 24 hour gym and he like it. Said there were plenty of machines and it was very clean.

Parking is valet, you have no choice. Just get the package deal that is inclusive of parking. The parking attendants are horrible. They tried to charge me for parking when it clearly stated on my bill (I had to show them) that I had a package deal. Only when my friend showed her bill, which was exactly the same as mine, did they relent. We had to wait 15 minutes for my car, when my friend (we arrived at exactly the same time) got her car in less than 5 minutes...why the wait? Don't know they had no explanation! There was a lady there who was waiting for 45 minutes for her car, apparently they lost it! HAHAH! How do you lose a car? I am just glad it wasn't me because I would of had someone's head.

We stayed mostly for the ice skating and to see Christmas in the Park. Although it would have been nice if the hotel had shown the Pacquiauo/Marquez fight in one of their bars. Our stay was OK, it would of been better if we had received the connecting rooms as requested. Would I go back? Honestly probably not. I do like to get what I requested and I do not mind paying a little extra for it. Recommend to others? It's OK, the draw for me was that Christmas in the Park was across the street and the ice rink for my teen.

Room Tip: Call the valet ahead so you don't have to wait so long for your car. You still have to wait, bu...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jsflores
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Good Morning,
First, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that we were unable to fulfill your request for connecting rooms, and I would like to speak with you regarding your overall experience.

Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience,

Marshall.Jones@fairmont.com

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Very disappointed in this hotel. Decor is gloomy and uninspired and makes you feel like turning round and leaving as soon as you walk in. The large central lounge and lobby always seemed to be full of people but never of conviviality. No one has tried to bring any style to this, or the other spaces here.

The bedroom was ok, had everything I needed, but again, charmless in terms of design and has obviously been decorated to a very tight budget.

A room service dinner on my first night (ordered one dish) took one hour and twenty minutes to arrive, after I had been given a 35 minute delivery time. Breakfast next morning was promised to take 35 minutes. After 45 minutes I called to chase. 55 minutes after ordering it arrived. I had ordered oatmeal, mixed berries, maple syrup, orange juice and a black decaff coffee. 55 minutes and I got oatmeal, strawberries, no syrup and ordinary coffee. Utterly infuriating and very stressful as I had to get to a meeting and had no time to actually eat or drink when it got to me.

I phoned early one morning to ask if I could book a meeting room for use at 8 30 am and was told
that wasn't possible as the meeting rooms were managed by banqueting staff who are not on duty until 9 am. So the facility, which has a massive suite of meeting rooms, couldn't offer me access to one.

I was travelling with colleagues and we had pre-booked two large meeting rooms for a day. Our hot drinks and water jugs were not refreshed during the day.

Overall, a really poor experience.

2  Thank ServalontheRoad

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It seems we missed the mark during your stay, especially with regards to your in room dining order. I would like to discuss your stay in further detail.

Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience,

Marshall.Jones@fairmont.com

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed just one night as part of a work trip. No complaints. The rooms and public areas alike are clean and well appointed. I was given a room on the 20th floor and was shocked by how good the view was. As a Bay Area local I've only seen San Jose/Silicon Valley from the ground, where it like a somewhat run-down, endless strip-mall. The price was great as well.

1  Thank AlphaFlyer
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Had a couple of days in San Jose in November. The Fairmont is downtown San Jose near the movie and live theaters.

The entyway is quite impressive - very high ceilings and miles of marble everywhere. The valets were attentive and helpful as were the other hotel staff. You walk past a comfortable-looking sunken bar area to get to reception, and we thought everything was handled very courteously and professionally.

I loved staying in the front of the hotel as it overlooks their exterior pool. I saw a guy lap-swimming, so it's heated and a decent size. There is also an area that appears to be ready to be made into a fun ice-rink. Across the road from the hotel's entry a festive Xmas village was being constructed. The room and bed were fine. We slept well, no noise. You only get one comfy chair and one office chair for the desk. If you order room service they wheel in a table, but if you use the office chair there is still no suffiiciently high seat for a 2nd person.

The bathroom was ok, nothing special. Only a single sink. However, the shower was good. The rook safe didn't work and the phone was dead. But, after I informed the front desk, those items were fixed quickly.

The main restaurant was so-so. What I ordered was over-priced for what you get and the quality did not match. The breakfast restaurant had a good buffet with lots of choices.

The only downside to this downtown hotel is the fact that if you walk a block away you realize that the hotel is surrounded by a dilapidated town complete with homeless people, high crime etc.

Not the hotel's fault of course, but if you're out - especiallyat night - you will probably want to be driven to and fro.

All in all, we had a lovely stay. Just wish we could have hung out in the hotel most of the time. The lack of chairs and the less than 5-star bathroom are the main reasons I give this Fairmont 4 instead of 5 stars. Every other aspect was 5-star.

Room Tip: We liked our room overlooking the front of the hotel. But, since we haven't stayed anywhere els...
1  Thank T S

Good Morning,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am especially happy to hear that you had great interactions with our staff, and that we were able to attend to your needs efficiently. We hope you'll come back again soon, and perhaps see all the Christmas Festivities in full force. It’s a great time of year in San Jose!