“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel twice and will certainly return. Beautiful hotel, great service and nice rooms. My first stay was in the tower, the second on a poolside room on the main building fourth floor. "The Grill" bar/restaurant had an incredible wine list with very professional and cordial staff. I would recommend it for business dinners or at the bar for a place to unwind. There are also plenty of other options to dine in the area, and it's relatively close to the airport. As I visit the area often for business, I recommend.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

As always, the hotel in general is a pleasant place to stay. I was surprised to see most of the problems I listed in my last review 2 years ago have been addressed, which is great. However, like our last stay, housekeeping was not at its best. We arrived in our lovely Cabana Room, walked out to the patio, only to discover one table littered with a dozen beer caps and the other table covered in some sticky substance. While unpacking in our walk in closet, we noticed the complimentary shoe shine cloth had been used and left in a basket. I discarded it, but it was never replaced. When we used wine glasses or drinking glasses, they were not replaced and I had to phone housekeeping to bring them. By the second day, I ended up using a facecloth to clean that sticky table, since again, housekeeping ignored our patio.

That said, the pool area is very relaxing and ordering lunch by the pool is very pleasant. If you wish to book a Cabana Room, which opens right onto the pool area, phone the hotel directly. I don't recall seeing a Cabana Room offered on line. We stayed in Room 414, a gorgeous 2 room suite at the end of the floor - a good walk to your room, but worth it for the privacy.

The Grill Restaurant is very nice, and if you want something a little more casual, keep walking through The Grill to reach the more casual bar area. The Fountain Room for breakfast is airy and the food and service are perfect.

If you want to pick up some snacks or wine for the room, The Market by Safeway is a 5 minute walk away. Other than the minor housekeeping issues, the hotel is a beautiful property and I'm looking forward to our next Cabana Room stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at The Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very happy you enjoyed the poolside suite and its convenient location. However, it seems we have missed the mark in one area. I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I received your review. I would like to assure you that we take comments and concerns of our guests very seriously and yours is no exception.

I would like to discuss your experience in further detail.
Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Marshall Jones
Director of Sales and Marketing
Marshall.Jones@fairmont.com
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel was excellent from the first moment i arrived!
The head valet was charismatic and humorous and remembered my name for the reminder of my trip, a nice touch! The inside of the hotel was beautiful in design and the staff were all pleasant.
The room itself was very generous in size and had a beautiful bathroom, both of which including the rest of the hotel were spotlessly clean!
Although the tertiary fees, cost of the breakfast and spa treatments were very much symbolic of a four star hotel the price of the room itself was very reasonable for a hotel of this quality!
The bed was by far the most comfortable of all the beds i tried on my stay to California and offered the perfect nights sleep.
Located within about a ten minute walk of all the local bars, which were plentiful in number and of a pretty good standard i did not have a problem locating my room after a 'night on the tiles'
This hotel comes highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy to hear that you had such a marvelous experience at our property, and were able to enjoy your evening on the town!
We can't wait to welcome you back.

PR and Marketing Manager
Joanne.Casem@fairmont.com
Petaluma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here when we attended a concert at the San Jose Pavilion. We stayed in a tower room which was much quieter and low key than the main building. The walk to the pavilion was easy and convenient. The room was spacious and quiet and the bathroom was huge and luxurious. Check in was fast and easy. We will definitely stay here again when we return to San Jose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you had a great experience, that check in was efficient, and you enjoyed your luxurious accommodations. We hope you'll come back to enjoy another show at HP very soon.

PR and Marketing Manager
Joanne.Casem@fairmont.com
Ontario, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I just stayed the the week at the Fairmont San Jose. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is very friendly and always willing to help. Going through the lobby, you'll think your in a grand European hotel, very posh. I stayed on the 4th floor and the hallways are constructed as though you are a mouse in a maze, I finally figured out the hallway maze pattern after the 3rd day, it was very confusing. The rooms are awesome, except a couple of things - the Bathroom mirror had this huge gross mold growth in-between the glass and the mirror, there where several lights that had come out of the socket and had exposed wires, not the safest in my opinion. The phone in the room was from 1995 and it had seen its day, sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I hope they are fixing these problems. Otherwise the room was comfortable and relaxing. The thing that bummed me out, was that this hotel has no shuttle service from and to the airport.. it's only 4 miles away from SJC. Come on,a fancy hotel like this, needs to include a shuttle service. Over all, I would stay there again

Room Tip: Don't get one on the 4th Floor (Pool level)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Although a luxury hotel it just felt a bit tired. Room was very spacious & bathroom amenities were very good. But I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. Location was great as it was right near the SJ Convention Centre where my conference was being held. Plus side - very nice bar area with live music.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank GreekAussieChick
Basel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My stay at this Fairmont has been a comedy of errors and when speaking with the manager with hopes for anything to be offered for improvement, all I received was a lukewarm apology. With no one before me, the checkin took 30 minute because the hotel clerk could not reconcile that a Chris and Christine with the same last name might be the same person and she could not articulate this to me, only that she could not find my reservation. Once in the room, I found more hairs in the bathroom and in towels than should ever be found. The remote control did not work. The room service took 45 min and arrived cold. When I called down for a spare phone charger, I was told to go to 'the mall'. When I explained that I am not from the local the area (hence, the hotel stay) and I did not know where 'the mall' was, the operator sounded surprised. Need I go on? Poor poor service from unqualified people and filthy rooms.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank chris_suisse
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all of our guest reviews seriously, and yours is no exception. It seems we failed to meet some basic expectations during your visit. I would like to discuss your stay with us in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

joanne.casem@fairmont.com