“For poor service and extra hair with your bathroom, say here.”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My stay at this Fairmont has been a comedy of errors and when speaking with the manager with hopes for anything to be offered for improvement, all I received was a lukewarm apology. With no one before me, the checkin took 30 minute because the hotel clerk could not reconcile that a Chris and Christine with the same last name might be the same person and she could not articulate this to me, only that she could not find my reservation. Once in the room, I found more hairs in the bathroom and in towels than should ever be found. The remote control did not work. The room service took 45 min and arrived cold. When I called down for a spare phone charger, I was told to go to 'the mall'. When I explained that I am not from the local the area (hence, the hotel stay) and I did not know where 'the mall' was, the operator sounded surprised. Need I go on? Poor poor service from unqualified people and filthy rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank chris_suisse
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all of our guest reviews seriously, and yours is no exception. It seems we failed to meet some basic expectations during your visit. I would like to discuss your stay with us in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently (10/6/12) stayed at the Fairmont because I was running in the San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon Series the following day... with that said.. I really needed to have some rest that evening. At around 10PM I could hear a live band playing in one of the ballrooms (2 floors below). I figured it was from a wedding or some event and that it would end around midnight.. finally at 3AM I called the front desk to see where this noise was coming from and why it was going on so late. They apologized and said it was from a wedding and it should have ended a half hour ago.. REALLY.. for something that loud to travel 2 floors up and still go on until 2:30AM is crazy!!! I know I wasn't the only person on the 4th floor that could hear this.. we even walked out into the hallway to try to follow the sound. The stay would have been excellent if I wasn't up all night with this loud noise. I really enjoyed having a room with a patio and a private entrance and exit to the pool. I liked the location of the Hotel, there is a lot of things to do in walking distance, but if need rest and it's a weekend, you might want to request a room on a higher floor because if there is any event taking place in the ballrooms, you will hear the noise!!!

Room Tip: Don't pick a room on the 4th floor if you don't want to hear any events in the ballroom!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Was here on business and stayed here in the tower across the walk way. Clean and big room. Great bar in the main building. Also nice spot downstairs for breakfast and deserts.

Really close to night life and bars if that's what you are into.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Good Afternoon,

First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose! I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours. Your business truly is important to us.
We are very happy to hear you had such pleasant experience staying with us in San Jose, and can't wait to welcome you back

PR and Marketing Manager

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Fairmont San Jose isn't one of the best Fairmont hotels in the world, but it is a very nice hotel. The location is great in downtown San Jose. It's close to a few museums, easy access to the highways, and the metro is next to the hotel.

Check in was fairly simple. Although, when we checked into our room, someone's things were already in the room. So we went back to the front desk to get a new room. I'm not sure how they gave us a key to someone's room, but it was a bit unnerving.

Our second room was on the 19th floor with great views of the city. The beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge - with a separate shower and tub and the toilet was tucked away. There was also a walk in closet and a sitting area outside the restroom which was helpful when people were getting ready at the same time.

The pool looked really nice. It was just the right size for this hotel. The rooms that opened up onto the pool area looked amazing! I would definitely try to get one of these rooms.

There is also a gym with cardio equipment and weights, but it's very dark and cramped.

Overall, this hotel is a good choice if you want to stay in the downtown San Jose area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 4th floor with access to the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The fairmont San Jose is a nice hotel for the business traveler. It's very well maintained and the rooms are top notch. I didn't get a chance to visit the outdoor pool on the fourth floor but did catch a view of it from the building next door I was traveling to. It's beautiful. The hotel is conveniently located and several restaurants are within easy walking distance.

I would definitely recommend it for the business traveler. My only issue was the size of the bed. The bed in my single room was a queen size at best. Not sure if they just don't have kings or were full up. I didn't ask at check in as I didn't think this was anything I would need to do at a four star hotel. Disappointed in that. Otherwise the room was quiet, clean and modern.

I would stay there again but I'd definitely ask for a king room.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a king bed if you want one. I didn't and got stuck in a small queen at be...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian K

Good Afternoon Brian,
I want to thank you for taking the time to post your honest review. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel for your business stay, and found that the service and upkeep of the hotel was to your standards. As for the King Bed, we would be happy to accommodate your request on your next visit, and regret if we did not have one available for your last stay.

Please feel free to contact me for your next visit to San Jose.

PR and Marketing Manager

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed at many Fairmont properties around the US but this week was my first stay at the San Jose hotel. The service was decent and the room was a typical Fairmont (spacious and clean).

The fitness center at this hotel is a cave though. It is dark, cramped and not well ventilated. It certainly isn't up to the standards I see at other high end hotels.

The restaurant - The Grill - was ridiculously overpriced. There are many other restaurant options in the neighborhood, I suggest trying those.

I find the most annoying part of staying at a Fairmont to be all of the extra charges designed to extract a few extra bucks out of their guests. Internet was overpriced as was the lobby coffee and a host of other items.

I don't get to San Jose often but I'm sure they must be better options in the downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I specifically made reservations at this hotel for their accomodations on the 4th floor with patio access to the hotel's pool. Flew into town for a short visit to celebrate my girlfriend's bday and a night at the Improv to see Cedric the Entertainer. Tip: call at least a few weeks ahead to confirm that the hotel has "blocked" your room for your stay. Unfortunately I didn't do this, really didn't think I needed to for a hotel of this calibur. I even received a confirmation by email that I responded to confirming my stay. The email indicated that I would receive another email to confirm when my room was ready; should have suspected something was up when I didn't get this email.

Checked in around 4pm to find out I had received a "complimentary" upgrade to a 950 sq ft room. Don't get me wrong, the room was nice, big and comfortable but that wasn't the room I had requested/reserved. I tell the clerk I don't want the room but the one by the pool but I'm told that the rooms on that floor were already booked and in use. Nothing they could do. Hence the disappointment. I always use tripadvisor to check photos of the places I consider staying at and the 4th floor, with attached patio and easy access to the hotel pool was REALLY what I was looking forward to during my weekend in September.

As an apology, we did receive $100 food & beverage credit; my girlfriend went back to the desk after seeing the rooms by the pool and again expressing our disappointment that she also got us free breakfast for the next morning. These two items basically paid for the room but like I said, I expect to get what I asked for and although being compensated for food & beverage was nice, I still would have enjoyed my stay more if I had received what I orignally had anticipated on.

I would have given this hotel a higher rating but based on my experience, just couldn't do it.

Hopefully, this won't happen again if and when I make a another trip to San Jose.

Room Tip: Room on the 4th floor with a patio for access to the pool during the summertime would be ideal.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends