“Nice with some odd exceptions”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pleasanton, California
“Nice with some odd exceptions”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed overnight with my spouse while attending a corporate event nearby. Booked a suite (well in advance) and got to the room to be welcomed by a bottle of champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries and welcome card....for another couple celebrating their anniversary. Repeated calls to the front desk and guest services went unanswered. We dropped by the front desk on our way out to let them know of the mistake and was curtly told that someone would be by to pick up the champagne, etc. So much for good karma. On the way back to the room later that night (we were in the neighboring building which requires your room card to enter, etc), greeted by a group of guys (not guests I took it) hanging out in the lobby with the cleaning crew, with a couple of their bikes laying on their side. Ugh, really? Is this the Super 8 in Hayward or the Fairmont in San Jose? The suite was spacious although not alot of character. All told, an okay experience with some real weird vibes as described above. I have been to other Fairmonts that I will return to: this is probably not one of them.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 9, 2011

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this Fairmont hotel. The location is outstanding. Great access to key locations in Sunnyvale, San Jose, etc. The hotel is established but well maintained. Staff is excellent. Rooms sizes are outstanding, although certain elements like the bathrooms are showing their age. Very clean, just dated. Beds are fantastic. Great food and a really nice bar area for meeting folks. Recommended!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank es_in_tx
Riverview
Reviewed December 6, 2011

A very nice place to stay while in San Jose. We were in town for a hockey game and were not dissapointed. I have stayed here a few times this year and each experience beats the last. The hotel has two towers - the best rooms are in the tower adjacent to the building (not the main). However, the rooms are fine either way.

This trip Christmas in the park was underway right outside the hotel, a kind of public arcade that runs for a few blocks in San Jose. Definitely a must for families. Everything nearby is an easy walk and it feels safe around the hotel. I will be coming back early next yeasr.

Room Tip: Try the new tower - get a room if you can!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen L
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband has spent almost three weeks at this hotel -- I was there for a night and left at 5:30 a.m. to get to the airport.

Big room - perfect for one -- fine for two.

Nice view of San Jose ( however, that isn't that great to look at anyway)

Beautiful bathroom with good amenities. Separate area for makeup and coffee

Quiet.

All worked.

Room Tip: One bit of advice -- if you are leaving in the early morning --make sure you stay in the main buildi...
1 Thank Susie20817
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This was my second stay at the Fairmont and once again it was great. The hotel is perfectly located in downtown San Jose, close to a variety of restaurants, bars, and attractions for the entire family. Hotel staff was friendly and everything from check-in to check-out was smooth. The hotel food is delicious and if you like a hotel bar with great atmosphere, the Fairmont's central bar is fabulous (though service can be slow at times). I would definitely recommend this hotel to both families and business travelers.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2011

First of all, I'd like to point out that this is the 2nd Fairmont I've stayed in. The first one was in Singapore. I must say that the Singapore one was much more superior to this one, but.... let's forget that for now.

Secondly, I wrote this review as a new visitor to San Jose (and US, in general).

The hotel was located at what appeared to be San Jose's Central Business District, with easy access to the major freeways and highways. I lost track of all the different freeways and highways within 5-min drive from the hotel. There was US-101 (always packed at peak hours, AVOID AT ALL COST!), CA-87 (my favourite to drive from San Jose to Sunnyvale or Palo Alto during peak hours). Then there was... I-280, I think. Or was it I-680? I can't remember. Whatever it was that eventually connects to I-5 to go to San Diego.

The room I stayed in was a bigger room with separate lounge, since I was traveling with my family. It was HUGE. Being a tea-drinker rather than coffee, I also appreciated the fact that I could get a kettle to boil water in addition to the usual coffee maker/dripper.

There were quite a few restaurants and eateries within 15-min walk from the hotel (my favourite being Hanuman Thai restaurant, and Johnny Rockets diner), as well as a Safeway supermarket. Oh, and there's a 12-screen cinema virtually across the street.

The biggest downside of this hotel, for me anyway, is the sport and health facilities. The gym was poorly equipped, and the pool was outdoor. The other thing was, the first two days of my stay there (or could be three?), the elevators took an awful long time resulting in long queues at the lobby.

Room Tip: Half price parking for hybrid cars ($13 rather than the usual $26).
1 Thank Michael C
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2011

As UK visitors when we travel in the States we stay extensively at Fairmont Hotels. This one fell below the usual standard. We were greeted on arrival in a very lukewarm way and on departure, despite requests for an itemised bill we were continually delivered a "mantra" that it was all "done". With some persistence we eventually received an itemised bill only to find that we had been overcharged $73. That said, we had a wonderful suite, had breakfast served in our room and room service was exemplary. In addition, after our visit we were sent a guest questionnaire. We expressed our concerns. There was an immediate response which was extremely impressive and we have no doubt that this Fairmont will correct the rather disappointing experience we had. On a travel note, as far as overseas visitors are concerned, this is a hotel which is mainly addressed to the Silicon Valley market. It is superbly located but it is not worth venturing far from the hotel at night. There is however a rather interesting restaurant nearby called Gordon Bierreich Brewery Restaurant. Please see our review of it. Fairmonts always seek to deliver. However, we have read a number of other reviews on Trip Advisor which would seem to indicate that the reception/guest experience needs to be improved.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple