“Nice place but soooo many extra charges”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Belle Fourche, South Dakota, United States
“Nice place but soooo many extra charges”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The room was a decent size and beds were comfortable. The maid didn't come the second day we were there? We were a little late leaving the room but were out of there by 12. I don't travel too much the last couple years so maybe this isnt unussual, but I have never been charged to park my car at the hotel I was staying at. Beings so I thought charging me $19 a night to park was ridiculous. This is to park in a lot that is not close to the front doors. Then when I get to the room I pay $14.95 for internet access for 3 days to find out it is only good for one device. Just too bad about the extra charges. $120 a night for a regular double room is not cheap. Didn't expect to have to pay another $72 for things I ussually get for free.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MLIves, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Angie L,

Thank you for your honest review of your recent stay with us. I apologize for your housekeeping experince. I will be sure to follow with our housekeeping manager to ensure this does not happen during future stays with us.

At our hotel, we like to provide a personalized experience for each of our guests, but also look for ways to keep costs low while providing comfort and convenience. We appreciate your feedback and we’ll keep it in mind as we work to make our services better.

Yours in Service,
Matthew L. Ives
Director of Front Office Operations
matthew.ives@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very comfortable hotel that offers value for money. The staff is very helpful and goes out of their way to make your stay an unforgettable one. Communication is also very good with free Wi-Fi internet access. Good and quiet location conducive to business or leisure.

San Jose, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Spencers was the highlight of the trip. Wonderful restaurant for lunch. The dinner portions (and a la carte nature) was less desireable, but tasty nonetheless. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. The but...... comes in for the location of the hot tub. Rather than a secluded area, the hot tub is located directly beneath the large windows of the public hallway connecting the front lobby with the elevators. (NOT a private location at all) DoubleTree may want to think about putting some privacy shades over these windows to allow hot tub users some privacy.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I've stayed at this location for work maybe 8 times over the last 2 years and I would summarize all the stays the same: not bad enough to move further away from work and not good enough to ever be excited about staying again. The bottom line is the hotel is very old and never been through a full renovation from what I can tell. Everything is perfectly serviceable, but if you are a fan of the Wynn in Vegas and the Hyatt everywhere else, staying here is going to feel dirty, dark and uncomfortable. For example, I would not feel comfortable doing sit ups or pushups on the floor in the rooms. Maybe an odd/stupid point to make, but it is hard to summarize what I mean by "serviceable" -- it isn't disgusting and isn't crystal clean and new... it's right in the middle. If this kind of thing doesn't bother you at all, you really can't beat the location and compounded with the kind of traffic you run into in SJC, the closer you can get to work the better. The service staff and Spriggs for breakfast are always friendly and good, no issues there. If you are traveling for work, it is a great fit. If you are traveling for pleasure though, I can't imagine why you would stay here; the facilities are really geared towards business travelers getting in/out and not for pleasure.

San Jose, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was assigned a damp, dingy room with a lumpy bed and on the 9th floor, next to the Presidential Suite no less. It had a bad smell, a bad bed, and the room looked as it had been rented to a bunch of college kids; everything was beat up. Not going back to this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MLIves, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Guy I,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with your guest room have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that we are known for.

Best Wishes,

Matthew Ives
Director of Front Office Operations
matthew.ives@hilton.com

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel is as I mentioned, comfortable.. enough for a business trip. The lobby is nice and seems newer than the rest of the hotel. The floors of the rooms need updates, but overall this Doubletree is relatively competitive for its proximity to the airport and its comparison to the neighboring hotels.

Fullerton, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Everyday I mentioned that the shower curtail rod was broken. It never got fixed while I was there. Making my shower difficult to take without getting water on the floor. The room was clean. The personnel were nice. And the cookies are always good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family