“Mediocre for the brand of Hilton”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

No food at all after 10 pm, all restaurants close by 8 pm and room service shuts by 10 pm. So if u have a late night flight consider urself doomed as there is no food in the hotel nor are there any decent eating joints around. The rooms are strictly OK, and while they are big enough the upholstery looks 18th century & lighting extremely poor. Basically this is no where close to the brand "Hilton" hotel you would find anywhere else.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
MLIves, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Sameer K

We’re very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us and we apologize for letting you down during your stay. We will keep your feedback in mind as we continue to improve our guest experience. We hope that you'll give us another chance if your travels bring you back to our area in the future.

Matthew Ives
Director of Front Office

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Mu family was very happy with this hotel. The rooms were spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. Room was quiet. Staff was excellent. Check in was quick and easy and desk personnel were very friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We fly out of San Jose using park and fly hotels frequently and this was the first time we tried the Doubletree. Vey nice hotel and good service to and from the airport. Rooms are large and well done. Staff was great. But--- the rooms are quite high in price for what they are. That we knew up front. Our main problem was the cost of dinner in their restraunt. Way overpriced for what you are getting. My thinking is that this is a place for business execs with open ended expense accounts to stay when they fly into San Jose. The only caution I would say that our rooms were very close to the freeway and I had a hard time sleeping because of the noise

Room Tip: Ask to be on the airport side of the hotel. The planes have to be quieter then the noise from the f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This Doubletree is located in a great location in relation to the airport and to my head office in San Jose. Other than hearing noise from the freeway it's a great place to stay. Will definitely stay here next time I'm in San Jose on business.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I enjoyed Comfortable service of Double Tree while busy time due to business trip in San jose. Retaurant was excellent and I was relaxed in precious time there. This hotel meets with busy business people

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Check in was great until I realize the clerk didn't aware me of extra fees were being charged, so I had to go talk to them about it. Rooms were good until I found hair in the shower, water bottles and socks under the bed. It seems to lack details of cleanliness.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked thru Expedia 5 minutes before arriving. By the time I made it to the front desk, my reservation was in. So far, so good. “Can I have a credit card for incidentals?” Having heard this phrase hundreds of times during my 10 years on the road, I did not give it much thought – I handed one of my credit cards to young girl behind the counter. “What about parking?” “Oh, here,” matter-of-factly said she, handing me a parking ticket. “It is 20 dollars.” A “free” cookie and a canned smile followed. Before I stepped away from the counter, I received an email from AMEX indicating that Hilton charged 25 dollars.

OK, what a tired traveler to do? I went to park my car. The parking gate sign clearly displayed the same $20 (19 with change) rate for a 24-hour stay. Sweet, we hotel guests don’t even get a discount on parking. Parking was ample. I was able to park behind the building, right next to the back entrance leading up to the elevators. Clean. Safe.

The room itself was OK. Clean carpet. No smell. Soft mattress. Cotton bedding. Then again, I would not expect less from Hilton for 120+ per night. No frills though … such as a fridge, a bar, or a bath robe. Just enough to comfortably spend a night. Bathroom was nothing special either. Need a shower cap? Call the front desk! Forgot your toothpaste? Same, contact the front desk.

Still upset about the parking, I went downstairs and requested to speak to a manager. After some verbal ping-pong, the young lady (“shift supervisor”) agreed to waive (“one time only”) the parking.

Time to eat. I passed on a 35-dollar stake at the lobby restaurant. Instead, I headed for the bar where a beer and a hamburger can be had for 14 bucks. Not bad.

Before I even made it back to my room, I noticed another charge on my credit care - this time for 13 dollars. Tired, I decided to duke it out with the hotel the following morning.

I spent an uneventful night. Everything, from a TV to a shower worked just fine. No noisy neighbors. No slamming doors. The AC was super-quiet! When I woke up in the morning, I found a bill that was slipped under the door. It did list the 20-dollar parking fee.

Refreshed, I presented myself to the front desk and questioned the stubborn parking charge. The new clerk promptly apologized and removed it. He also explained the mysterious two charges on my AMEX ($25 and $13) as incremental charges that are “Hilton’s policy.” Apparently, the hotel is worried that their guests may run out of credit during the stay and take “preventative” actions. Makes me wonder … what type of clientele this hotel is catering to? This also makes the 120+ per night charge even less justifiable.

The breakfast was pretty good. As a matter of fact, I consider it to be the best part of my stay here. While the buffet was nothing special, the service was indeed superior. Considering the insane SF Bay prices, 18 dollars for a standard breakfast is probably OK.

I got into my car and drove to the parking gate prepared to redeem my “free” parking ticket. No need! The exit gate was broken (by a disgruntled guest?) and I happily drove off … never to return here.

Bottom line: spending $$$ dollars here does not translate into any additional value over a 60- to 70-dollars-per-night joint. If you have a car (as I did), you better off driving north to Fremont and spending a night at a generic Gujarati motel. That is exactly what I did the following night. See my other reviews.

1  Thank frequenttraveler740