“Nothing like a 4-star”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Here's my review of the DT San Jose, still fresh on my mind having ckd out just yesterday.First the good news... the property is centrally located, not much more than a stone's throw from SJC airport. Checkin was efficient and prompt, the room comfortable and pleasantly decorated. Now the not-very-good news. It became apparent from our check-in at the receptionist desk that hotel personnel were little about nonchalant about our staying at the hotel... no smiles, any sense of warmth was squandered elsewhere.We required a microwave and mini-fridge, neither of which was available without request - to which the personnel did respond. I did note that (and a glaring contrast in the face of having just spent a week at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa on Cannery Row, where *every* request was met with a warm and courteous response invoking recognition of our surname) there was a nearly total lack of recognition to our requests involving our name. Desk personnel when contacted continued
on in a irritatingly diffident, impersonal fashion - at the same time both surprising and disappointing.Mid-evening we contacted room service and ordered what turned out to be a $130 meal from Spencer's Steak House, an in-house operation. The meal was respectably tasty and delivered in timely fashion - no complaints with that part. However, when after a couple hours we tired of looking at the wheeled table and called down to the desk for someone to retrieve it, the (once again, tiredly blasé) response was, "Well, just push the table out into the hall and someone will come get it." Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy... the table had leaves that made it impossible to move out through the door, and I could not seem to find the right combination to get it out of the room. Now getting rather exercised at having to do what we in effect had paid for, we summoned once again help from the desk, albeit this time with a fair amount of irritation in (my wife's) delivery. Profuse apol
ogies followed from the manager on duty, who in turn offered!
to comp
the meal. That was fine, but the level of training and employee selectivity further showed through crystal-clear.I would hesitantly recommend this hotel, but only as a secondary solution - in other words, if the prospective guest simply needs a clean, close-in hotel with secondary regard for a personal touch. Frankly, for our purposes, the DT in San Jose will in all likelihood never provide a solution in future... there are too many other good hotels around with pillowtop beds and similar amenities - and for its price level or lower.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2008

The biggest problem with this place was noise. The design of the hallways is very poor and every little noise echoes through the halls and into your room. We didnt get a minute of sleep because so many loud drunk people were walking the halls at night after the casino and the rain was really loud as well. The restaurant is the same way, poor ambiance, you hear everyone else's obnoxious conversations and there is no music to mask it. Also terribly slow and sloppy service at the restaurant and with room service. They made a mistake with both meals I ordered and didn't correct either one. Food was also way overpriced and not nearly as good quality as most other hotels offered.

DO NOT expect service from this hotel. They offered us a taxi to the mall because the hotel would not cash our travellers cheques and neither would the bank they sent us to (this was the ONLY hotel that couldnt cash them on the whole trip) When we tried to get back from the mall, the hotel wouldnt help us get transportation and we spent almost an hour standing in a lineup of local people waiting for a taxi. That was a terrible waste of time and we were not happy.

One of the lights didnt work in our room and the person i called at front desk said something about sticking your room key in a black box behind the door and leaving it there in order to work the lights. they couldnt make it any more clear than that and i never figured out what they meant.

All in all service was poor, this was the only HIlton we have ever stayed at and this will be the last.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to California. Our plane flew into San Jose late the first night, so we decided to stay at the DoubleTree Inn in San Jose.

Overall, it was a great experience. We stayed in a king guest room. The hotel is large, the room was spacious (almost too spacious...!), and everything was clean. I also asked the hostess if we could get some type of breakfast in the morning, and she give us a pass to the continental breakfast on the top floor.

The only downside was that the hotel rooms seemed somewhat outdated. Part of it might have been the lighting (San Jose is very environment-friedly; they use the newer types of bulbs that give off a yellowish glow) and the colors in the rooms.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone, simply because it provides what you would expect in hotel for the California price tag (got our room for about $127 or so online).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2008

Easy to find. Lobby fine/efficient. Quick/friendly check-in. Large, comfortable, clean, quiet room nicely designed/updated and in good working order. Great bed/restful sleep. Service in the lounge/sushi bar painfully slow and quirky but server was nice, and food/beverage were good. Self-parking rate no big deal. Overall, a great value, especially at the discounted price I paid. If ever in town again, I would definitely consider another stay here.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bakdds
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I had a great stay at this hotel. The staff was pleasant and professional and the room was very comfortable. My only complaint is the $15/day for parking. It seems to have become common at most hotels in California though.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2007

The Doubletree San Jose is rated four diamonds by AAA, so I expected above-average accommodations. What we got was definitely not four-diamond quality. The hotel decor is stuck in a time warp from the 80s. We got a room on the 2nd floor and while it did not smell of cigarette smoke, there was some type of odor that was either caused by cleaning agents or soap. I am sensitive to odors and the odor even disrupted my sleep. However, after housekeeping cleaned our room during the first day, there was a mildewy, sour smell in the bathroom that was off-putting. Since we were only staying one more night, we put up with it. The decor of the room is dull and depressing: cottage-cheese ceilings; random lighting (including a bulb over the easy chair that seemed like it was designed for interrogation); bare walls on three of the four walls; and dark wood paneling on the doors. The outer sink would not plug or drain properly; the tub did not drain properly either, leaving us to stand in almost ankle-high water while showering. The toilet was slow to flush and seemed like it used a great deal of water. I needed a hair dryer sent to my room and I called housekeeping. After approximately four or five rings, I got housekeeping's voicemail. I hung up and dialed the front desk. Tabitha, I believe, said she'd have one sent up right away. Thirty minutes later, still no hair dryer. My husband went to the front desk to check on my request, received an apology and front desk made the request again to housekeeping. Within 5 minutes, the hair dryer arrived. I don't understand why it takes this much effort to get one hair dryer at a four-diamond establishment. My one final aggravation was that you have to pay $10/day for self-parking. Even the W Silicon Valley does not make you pay for parking. The only good thing about this hotel is the close proximity to the airport. Otherwise, look elsewhere for real four-diamond accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I was terribly disappointed with this hotel. It is absolutely terrible!!!First we had to pay for parking. My husband is handicapped and we had to pay for parking!! And the valets saw me struggling to get the baggage and they never once asked if we could help. They could easily see he was handicapped and did not bother to help me and my 2 little kids with the luggage.

We had booked an executive queen room which was suppose to be on the 9 and 10th floors (which we paid extra for!) and they put us on the 3rd floor. We really lost out by being put on the 3rd floor. We were to have concierge service but did not get it. We paid for it but I was told it was those on the 9th/10th floor only no breakfast was available no coffee nothing even though we had paid extra for better service and a better room.

We attempted to eat at one of their many restaurants. Only to find out they had ran out of steaks. Yet next door was another restaurant called Steak and Chops(maybe they could of borrowed a steak to make a customer happy?). So I opted for their version of Chicken Marsala. I definately need to send them a recipe and a new chef as their version tasted nothing like Chicken Marsala. Oh and do yourself a favor and forget ordering drinks from the bar as I was able to get a 16 oz. drink for $8.00, then later in the evening they charged me $9.00 for the same drink but this time is it was only an 8 ounce drink.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and stay somewhere else..I wish I had.

Stayed: September 2007